Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Its all about the sound

Post Thanks / Like

Its all about the sound

Beautiful day in Chicago to be outside. I just took the Cobra for a ride. Letting it cool down and reading some posts a thought came to me.
    You see many posts discussing all the aspects of what is the best engine and setup. To me, and maybe to you, it has nothing to do with horsepower or hook-ups
    or any thing else.
    The best part of the whole experience, by far, is the sound. Maybe I am nuts but that sound is what I wanted.
    I dont care if it has 200 cubic inches and 180 HP or 507 cubic inches and 1000 HP. Its the sound that says I got what it takes.
    And its not at full throttle its sitting at a stop light. The sound of a 427 with a 250 degree cam idling at 900 RPM's gives me goose bumps.
    So just a thought for you guys considering what engine to use ....what really makes you feel good. Maybe it is something other than numbers.

JMS

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Agreed!

That was the big compromise I made on my build however. With catalytic converters and longer, quieter pipes, I don't get that raw sound I had with FFR j=pipes and side pipes. I did that so the neighbors wouldn't be upset every time I fired it up. I can also have a decent conversation at freeway speeds.

I drool like everyone else at the sound of a lumpy big block at a stoplight! LOVE that sound!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple friends who have WWII warbirds with big radial engines - and even they really like when I start up my FFR.

For me, I love the sound as it chuffs to life, as well as just idling.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys get it ....many won't.
    JMS

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a guy that I cruise with that has about 520 cu in and an under car exhaust. It just sounds menacing.

There is NOTHING that sounds a good as a fighter plane with a radial. Talk about goosebumps!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure that I totally agree?????? A Merlin or a Griffon inline will make your hair stand up as well, and put an uncontrollable smile on your face!

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    There is a guy that I cruise with that has about 520 cu in and an under car exhaust. It just sounds menacing.

There is NOTHING that sounds a good as a fighter plane with a radial. Talk about goosebumps!!
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth: (P-47D startup). Pratt & Whitney R-2800-59B. 2600 HP. To put it in perspective, the P-47 weighed about 12,700 lbs. That would be like having 470 HP in a Roadster.

Too late for me to think about "sound options". The Coyote is ordered. I'm sure it will sound terrific!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Too late for me to think about "sound options". The Coyote is ordered. I'm sure it will sound terrific!
    Here is Dave Smith's Coyote on the dyno. Even with my phone doing the recording, it sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next door neighbor at the airport has this Wildcat - and it's a joy to hear, but I still prefer my FFR, 'cause it's mine.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    7074 running through the gears - carb'd 347 and stock FFR sidepipes. Clicking on the black box below will take you to my photobucket page where the video is located.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    And here is what my current project - '65 Mustang vintage racer - will sound like when done. This one is coming out of Canada Corner (12) at Road America....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074