Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Left side trailing arm rubbing tire

Post Thanks / Like

Left side trailing arm rubbing tire

So I was doing the alignment last night and I have 255/35/18 rear tires with the FFR wheels and the stock donor trailing arms, the right side is fine but left side tire is rubbing the trailing arm, can't see why the left side would be different from the right side, I could just use a 12mm (or so) spacer to solve the problem but I would rather find out why the 2 sides are different, any thoughts ?
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 05-25-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Same problem here, rear right rubbing, I can get it about 3mm (less than 1/8) clearance but I need more for inspection.

I have 265/35/18 35offset.

No real solution yet, although if you can live with 3mm clearance I can tell how I made it.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the lengths of the lateral links the same for both sides center to center?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Are the lengths of the lateral links the same for both sides center to center?
    Yes, made sure of that when we started, I'm using the White Line Lateral links and I started out with 15 1/4 inch lengths from center bolt to center bolt on the lateral links
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with smallest lenghts possible of all lateral links, no idea if they were same lenghts to start with. I needed to adjust the left side only to get my correct toe. The right side I needed to push out both links (extend them) by at least 1in. But that doesn't help too much as I have then to extend the camber link and not get 4.1-deg negative like I found out. Then I get out of threads on that link and back off on the lateral links.

I think extending the trailing arm itself helps, but then you push your wheel backwards, not centered in wheel well, risk rubbing on rear of fender.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I started with smallest lenghts possible of all lateral links, no idea if they were same lenghts to start with. I needed to adjust the left side only to get my correct toe. The right side I needed to push out both links (extend them) by at least 1in. But that doesn't help too much as I have then to extend the camber link and not get 4.1-deg negative like I found out. Then I get out of threads on that link and back off on the lateral links.

I think extending the trailing arm itself helps, but then you push your wheel backwards, not centered in wheel well, risk rubbing on rear of fender.
    I have the stock trailing arms so they are non adjustable. I sure hope the frame is not wacked on the driver side that is causing this issue
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    I have the stock trailing arms so they are non adjustable. I sure hope the frame is not wacked on the driver side that is causing this issue
    That means the trailing arms (OEM or not) aren't the cause. I too thought of frame differences, since you don't have the same lateral links AND trailing arms as I do but we both have the same issue, I too hope it's not the frame!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I have to check when I get home is that both lateral links are bolted into the upper hole on both sides
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Lower holes for me and they are both.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    My chassis #21 &#22 is the same clearance distance on both sides of the car.
    Is it possible that when you aligned the back wheels, the chassis wasn't straight with your alignment tools.

wheel_alignment_toe.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-25-2016 at 08:52 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    My chassis #21 &#22 is the same clearance distance on both sides of the car.
    Is it possible that when you aligned the back wheels, the chassis wasn't straight with your alignment tools.

wheel_alignment_toe.jpg
    The jig we used attaches to the frame and is centered with the frame
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, made sure of that when we started, I'm using the White Line Lateral links and I started out with 15 1/4 inch lengths from center bolt to center bolt on the lateral links
    Jim said that the leteral links were 15.75 ( I have not measured myself.) If yours are 15.25, then they might be for a wagon.
    Bob

Hear is jims quote.
    Our uppers are right at 9.5 inches, I used the factory arms as jigs to set the length of our lower lateral arms (about 15-3/4) then adjusted the toe with the rear one from there. You want the upper link to be a good bit shorter than the lowers so the suspension gains negative camber in travel.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    also check that your spacers are all in the same spots.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    also check that your spacers are all in the same spots.
    I will check tonight but I don't think the lateral links have any spacers.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Jim said that the leteral links were 15.75 ( I have not measured myself.) If yours are 15.25, then they might be for a wagon.
    Bob

Hear is jims quote.
    Our uppers are right at 9.5 inches, I used the factory arms as jigs to set the length of our lower lateral arms (about 15-3/4) then adjusted the toe with the rear one from there. You want the upper link to be a good bit shorter than the lowers so the suspension gains negative camber in travel.
    So I have adjustable White Line Lateral Links, I started them each (for and aft) at 15.25" center bolt hole to center bolt hole, I did a quick check this morning and after adjusting the camber I was at about 16.25" on each lateral link center bolt hole to center bolt hole. The right side trailing arm does not rub the tire at that length but the left side tire does rub the lateral link.

So something is off, I can lengthen both sides (I have about an other 1" I can extend the lateral links w/o getting into any length issues) but would like to find the cause of this issue
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh crap I misread I thought you meant your RIGHT side tire was rubbing. Then it may not be a frame issue (phew) as it's my RIGHT side tire and not LEFT that is rubbing.

I will measure my lateral links and compare with yours.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure one of the stock trailing arms isn't tweaked in any way? Not that its much help but I am running these if you do want to upgrade. I have a 33offset wheel and same tire size as you with no rub.
    Last edited by redfogo; 05-26-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Are you sure one of the stock trailing arms isn't tweaked in any way? Not that its much help but I am running these if you do want to upgrade. I have a 33offset wheel and same tire size as you with no rub.
    That is a possibility but don't know what would have caused the arm to be tweaked (what kind of hit/accident)
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure with a good enough pot hole or just the load of the car over time could tweak them a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    My arms are the VCP modified version of the Gospeed's. To give more clearance. Maybe Wayne welded the U bracket 2-3mm off on one arm? I'd doubt cuz Wayne never makes a mistake, but in theory it's possible.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I'm sure with a good enough pot hole or just the load of the car over time could tweak them a bit.
    So in the picture the arms look fixed length but the add says they are adjustable, so which is it ? Also this may also save me another 2-3 lbs over the stock steel ones
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The adjustable arms are adjustable at the front where they bolt to the frame. They have a large rod-end joint there that can be adjusted in or out on threads. Not sure what pic you are looking at, but like Frank said, I think what Wayne does is cut off the ear tabs at the other end of the trailing arm, then move then out some and re-weld back in place.

Is the rub on the LOWER trailing arm or the upper trailing link (and when I say upper, I mean the one that attaches to the firewall)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    The adjustable arms are adjustable at the front where they bolt to the frame. They have a large rod-end joint there that can be adjusted in or out on threads. Not sure what pic you are looking at, but like Frank said, I think what Wayne does is cut off the ear tabs at the other end of the trailing arm, then move then out some and re-weld back in place.

Is the rub on the LOWER trailing arm or the upper trailing link (and when I say upper, I mean the one that attaches to the firewall)?
    Lower, as the upper has an inch or so clearance, the left side lower rubs the tire, the right side lower has about 1/2" or so clearance
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Measure the mounting ears to the outer edge of the flange they mount to, on the back of each trailing arm and see if there is a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    So in the picture the arms look fixed length but the add says they are adjustable, so which is it ? Also this may also save me another 2-3 lbs over the stock steel ones
    They are non adjustable. I really like them nice quality, and I also wanted non adjustable arms. Best of all they are cheaper then godspeed, and don't require any re-welding to clear wheels. I did have to modify the mounting cap/shims they came with because of how thick they were. Here is a link to my site and the mod I had to do http://redfogo.com/index.php/rear-suspension/
    Last edited by redfogo; 05-26-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Wayne cuts the ear on the spindle side and rewelds it to give more clearance.
    My arms are adjustable and need to be in order to center the wheels inside the fender cuz I won't respect exactly FFR's measurements on the body installation.

On the frame end, there are some spacers on each sides of the ball joint. One is smaller and is fitted inside the engine bay. I could cut that spacer, push the joint further in and use washers to extend the outer spacer. I have to check if that could give me more clearance.

Possibly if your arms have spacers too (Tony) it would be a valid solution.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Measure the mounting ears to the outer edge of the flange they mount to, on the back of each trailing arm and see if there is a difference.
    No difference that I can measure, maybe a 1/16 "
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a measurement on the length of the forward link (upper trailing link) as maybe that is off, I know that I'm about a 1/2" shorter on the left side for the forward link (upper trailing link) as I assume this control the angle of the rear spindle.
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 05-27-2016 at 05:41 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Check to see if your knuckles are bent. The ear that the brackets are attached to was bent on one of mine and it completely threw that side off. Ended up getting a new knuckle from the junk yard. It kind of stunk because I had already put new bearings in the original knuckle.

Larry

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a measurement on the length of the forward link (upper trailing link) as maybe that is off, I know that I'm about a 1/2" shorter on the left side for the forward link (upper trailing link) as I assume this control the angle of the rear spindle.
    Tony, I checked and my uppers are 18" center to center. The upper link sets the alignment of the two lower transverse links. You use that upper link to ensure the lowers are parallel or you will get big toe changes as the suspension moves over bumps.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I stared from scratch and made sure the 2 rear lateral links were parallel , and then everything else fell into place, so all is well, no more issues, I have clearance., thanks everyone !i
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    That was an easy fix.
    Did not work for me, there's something else, I'll look into it.
    Frank