FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body shop/painter, Western Massachusetts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Body shop/painter, Western Massachusetts

I was contacted by an acquaintance who has a future in-law looking for a bady shop to do an FFR out near the NY border. I'll forward any recommendations I get here.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    The NY border is only about three hours west of the FFR plant. Why not just contact FFR and ask them where they have their body work done? Can't remember the name of the shop, but I've read they use a shop nearby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five often states their cars are painted at Carl's Collision, Fall River, MA. I personally don't know anything about them. The FF cars typically nice pretty nice.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I already mentioned a couple of shops in the "east end" but he wants to stay close to home. You guys from Texas and California don't understand the magnitude of a 3-hour drive to a Massachusetts native.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy668 View Post
    I already mentioned a couple of shops in the "east end" but he wants to stay close to home. You guys from Texas and California don't understand the magnitude of a 3-hour drive to a Massachusetts native.
    Seriously, it's wicked fah!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    "You guys from Texas and California don't understand the magnitude of a 3-hour drive to a Massachusetts native."

Seriously? Three hours isn't sh**, some people's commute here is longer than three hours (each way). It's more than 6 hours from my house to the Bat Cave, no big deal. My Gosh, our mountain cabin is 2 1/2 hours away and we go there almost every other week. My relatives from the Upper Midwest think nothing of driving from Wisconsin to Michigan once every other month to visit.

Puhleeze, give me a break. Any man who can't drive 3 lousy hours is a pu_ _ _. (Fill in the blanks) I've driven across the country more than once, 3 hours is nothing. And I'm an old guy. Or is it that guys from MA can't "hold it" that long?

Jus' Sayin', seems like a pretty lame excuse to me. And especially when the shop has lots of experience with FFR's. I doubt your local Maaco has ever seen a roadster, and IF they ever did one it certainly wouldn't compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for making my point. Three hours? It's nothing. And the owner lives in Mass. He's gonna have to deal with driving there sooner or later. Take the car to Carl's Collision, the shop I was trying to remember.
    Last edited by Blue MK3; 05-27-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok
    Quote Originally Posted by videodude View Post
    "You guys from Texas and California don't understand the magnitude of a 3-hour drive to a Massachusetts native."

Seriously? Three hours isn't sh**, some people's commute here is longer than three hours (each way). It's more than 6 hours from my house to the Bat Cave, no big deal. My Gosh, our mountain cabin is 2 1/2 hours away and we go there almost every other week. My relatives from the Upper Midwest think nothing of driving from Wisconsin to Michigan once every other month to visit.

Puhleeze, give me a break. Any man who can't drive 3 lousy hours is a pu_ _ _. (Fill in the blanks) I've driven across the country more than once, 3 hours is nothing. And I'm an old guy. Or is it that guys from MA can't "hold it" that long?

Jus' Sayin', seems like a pretty lame excuse to me. And especially when the shop has lots of experience with FFR's. I doubt your local Maaco has ever seen a roadster, and IF they ever did one it certainly wouldn't compare.

Wow- bring on the insults.

Joe is just looking for a painter for a friend.

Can't we all just get along and be respectful to one another?
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Ok

Wow- bring on the insults.

Joe is just looking for a painter for a friend.

Can't we all just get along and be respectful to one another?
    I would never flame Joe; he's been around for a long time. But the truth is that a 3 hour drive for a quality paint and body job from a shop that has had a lot of experience with FFR's is not a big deal. Why would someone take all the time, blood, sweat, and tears to build one of these machines, then balk at a minor inconvenience to get it finished? It seems completely inconsistent to me.

Joe, if you took personal insult to anything I said, you have the humblest of my apologies. That was not my intention. I will state, however, that the person for whom you were asking the question, is in my opinion, nuts for not taking advantage of the experience of a shop that does the factory cars. If I lived anywhere on the East Coast (and wasn't closer to Kleiner), I'd go to either Carl's in MA, or Whitby's in NC. THEY have the experience. It's not that there aren't others, but I'd rather not be someone else's guinea pig. For me, I will be using Batman. He isn't the closest for me, but he's the best. Professionally and personally.

I just had a hip joint replaced. My orthopedist does 15/16 hips and knees a WEEK. Most orthopedists are lucky to do that many in a year. Some only do 3 or 4. Who's got the experience? My guy has seen it all, and done it all. He knows what to do IF (and when) something goes wrong. His partner does an equal number. Together they do almost 1,600 joint replacements a year. My mother wasn't as lucky. She had hip pain from a botched surgery and lived with it until she passed. Not for me. I did my research. The "best deal" isn't always the "best bargain". And . . . you don't always get what you pay for, meaning the most expensive isn't always the "Cadillac" it's cracked up to be.

Don't judge me by my post count; I've been around for over a decade, long before this forum was "this forum", and I'm active on the other one as well (at least over there my post count is more accurate).

Video