Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thoughts on JDM EJ205?

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on JDM EJ205?

Just wanted to get your opinion. I purchased a 2003 WRX wagon with 63,000 miles. I want something faster than the stock engine, so I sold it. I want to get an EJ 207, but it seems like they are becoming few and far between, plus seeing the comments about the availabilty of parts for it got me confused about my plan. I was looking at a JDM EJ205, seems like with the AVCS and not having the TGV it could be a a decent motor option. I don't really have the budget to build a motor as it seems it starts out at one price and quickly escalates. I would appreciate your feedback on this, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hold out for an Ej207. I got mine from http://japanpartsservice.com/. Call them up though as there site does not always show what is in stock. I got a amazingly clean engine for a good price low mileage even. I Got the ECU,VIN plate, Intercooler, after market intake, and Odometer all with my car. They also sent me a video of my exact engine running in the car before it was pulled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASmljfxFDdM video of mine if your bored lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what your power goals are.

If you are going to stick with the stock turbo, it doesn't matter all that much. What you are giving up on the 205 vs. the 207 is forged internals, more aggressive cams and the semi closed block.

None of which matter much if you are running a td04.

You will spend more money upgrading a 205 with forged internals and cams to meet 207 power holding than the difference in cost between a 205 and 207. So if you plan on going for power upgrades, get a 207.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not looking to go over 300 ish horsepower, as it seems that with the power to weight ratio it is more than up to the task. Is it possible in the future to do a JDM EJ205 with AVCS, which seems to have over 250 hp, but man as you try to get a straight answer there is so many answers it is ridiculous, and when it is tired, upgrade it with a EJ 257 block. I am not very familiar with Subaru. I have been a Porsche guy, having a 66' 911, 85 Carrera, 914 with small block V8. I want something that is reliable but want the power to put a big smile on your face.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can run a EJ205 w/ AVCS and make that HP. Not on a TD04 though and not with the stock injectors.

You will also need to make several changes to the wiring harness and would need a JDM AVCS ECU.

TD04s spool so fast that you won't really gain much with the AVCS. And you will be limited to the same peak HP since the TD04 will only flow so much air.

The AVCS will give you more upgrade room IE it will spool a vf39 faster than a non-AVCS engine.

For me personally, the AVCS doesn't justify the expense over a regular USDM ej205 since you can't make big power on the bottom end. But just like everything else, it can be made to work with time and money.