Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Road trip to the London Cobra Show

Post Thanks / Like

Road trip to the London Cobra Show

Anyone else going to London??

I've been plannng for a while but wasn't sure it would actually come to fruition. I needed to sort out some upgrades and make sure the car is in good enough shape for a major trip.

I leave Friday morning for a trip from Barrie (about an hour north of Toronto) to drive the coupe to Vancouver Island on our west coast, spend a couple of nights with my sister and her family, then drive east to Columbus OH through the USA to the London Cobra Show, then home.

It is about 10K kilometers or 6,500 miles, with 12 driving days and 4 days of layover.

A car show on Vancouver Island and then the LCS. Should be fun - I'll post some pics along the way. Hope I make it past Thunder Bay and I'm looking forward to some autocross!

Regards, Mike
    Last edited by MikeJones; 06-07-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06, The Jones build site

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe to say you aren't passing through Kelowna eh?

Have a safe trip. Hopefully you will bring home some hardware.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    I bow to you my friend! I'll be leaving from the Chicago with a couple more cars on Thursday morning before the show. If you're in the area, we can drive together!

Sten
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

That is awesome, that'll be one hell of a trip. Have fun and be safe, although after a trip in a coupe the other day I think you have to worry more about the fellow road users trying to video and snap pictures then anything else!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

That is a crazy long road trip! Travel safely and enjoy. Not much time for sightseeing, except for the sight of the windshield...

Stay rested and enjoy!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be in Wilmington, Ohio for the East Coast Timing Association event at the Airbourne Park airport the weekend before the London show. Unfortunately I wont be able to stick around for a few days to go to the Cobra show. A real shame because it looks like Wilmington is less than an hour away from London.

Harold
    FFR Coupe #687 picked up on 3-28-15; First start, 8-1-16; First drive, 9-25-16; 1971 Mach 1 (owned since 1984), 1968 Shelby GT 500 Convertible (sold and paying for my Coupe), the best wife ever!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, I am looking forward to some down time. I've seen the quality of cars there, only hardware I might be in line for is longest drive.

Narc, I'll be coming through Calgary and staying in Banff NP so a bit south of Kelowna. I had relatives in Penticton and OK Falls a while ago, nice part of the country.

Regards, Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made it half way through my trip with no real issues (4,500km so far). The forecast called for sun and warm weather the whole way out, and it has been cold and rainy every day. At least it is more water-resistant than it was originally.

My oil pressure (or the gauge itself) is fluctuating, and a few times dropped to 25psi when coming down long hills in the Rockies (little load). It sometimes does it while cruising. I'm concerned about blowing the oil pump or it could be the gauge. It is a mechanical pressure gauge but could be the grounds to the gauge itself. Any ideas or easy things to check first? I'm doing an oil change and new filter today.

Husky the Muskie in Kenora

camping in Provincial Parks most of the way

elevators in Sask

We have family ties to the Snowbirds

Long, straight roads and 120kph speed limits

Regards, Mike
    Last edited by MikeJones; 09-12-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, you made me do math. stop that!

120 kph = 75 mph

Post Thanks / Like
    You are living my dream!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

I've driven the reverse route in my MkIV/Coyote. From Edmonton to Ottawa then Niagara Falls across the boarder back along the States to Yellowstone before turning North. I ran the Yellowhead which is brutal in some sections but the 120Km speed limit means 130-140 without the radar detector is an easy go. Its the Northern Ontario roads and the frequent OPP patrols that makes the Manitoba boarder a 2 day drive from Barrie. I get 5 hours to a tank of fuel while cruising the highway so it's easy to put distance between fill ups and stretch breaks. Ill be running back to ONT next week. London OH????? May have to make a detour.

Have a safe drive. Take the time to stop in at Lake Louise. If its not overflowing with tourists, there are some amazing spots for "Picture of the Month" at the Chateau Lake Louise.

Post Thanks / Like
    photo choice for the tourists

Rogers Pass

on the ferry

this one is for Peter Brock

car cruise had some nicely appointed cars and a wide assortment - typical muscle cars and everything from old jags, army truck and lots of unusual vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Are you heading back to Barrie on the Sunday after London. I'll be going to Midland/Penetanguishene, and then later on to Espanola.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Dave:
    yes i will be heading home on Sunday. Midland / Penetanguishene is about 25 minutes north of Barrie. Are you? and if so we should convoy. I'm at the Holiday Inn and was going to do autocross on Friday.

Regards, Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm booked in there also. Looking forward to the event

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing your coupe! I will be working the Factory Five display so I will be easy to find. Please stop by to chat.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like

trip summary

Well, made it home in one piece. 5 provinces, 9 states and one ocean. Had the pleasure of meeting old and new friends in London. 9,500km (6,000 miles) in 11 days of driving. Broke a bearing in the transmission in Tea, South Dakota and had to have a new tailstock and driveshaft.

route.jpg

(by Colt and Kensley from Texas)

Mark, Roger and Gary

I put a bunch of photos in a photobucket album, although they are not all car shots.
    http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mike...016%20projects

Regards, Mike
    Last edited by MikeJones; 09-12-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff Mike!!
    That must have been a ton of fun.
    thanks for sharing the pics

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up and share it with the forum. I had wanted to drive over to Ohio and meet you and others in person, but was jammed up with time. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jacob, plan for next year. I'd like to get a bunch of coupes to do the track days beforehand.

After about 1,500 miles, My replacement tailstock developed a couple of stress cracks that weep transmission fluid, so it got me to the LCS, home, a couple of autocrosses and now has been replaced. I decided it no longer made sense putting the same thing back in, so talked to several people who know at LCS and upgraded to a TKO600 courtesy of Mike Forte. Getting the old one out was not too hard, but getting the new one in was a real problem. The TKO 600 is slightly bigger in all directions, and the bellhousing is higher too. After about 6 hours of turning and twisting. it is finally in without pulling the engine. Will button the last of things up tomorrow and be driving tomorrow after work.

No more upgrades until the snow gets here.

Regards, Mike
    Last edited by MikeJones; 09-12-2016 at 09:02 PM.