Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New to the forum from Texas

Post Thanks / Like

New to the forum from Texas

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and am considering building a FF MK4. I live in the Fort Worth area and am recently retired so I don't have unlimited funds. I'd like to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge available here and build a great car with smart choices on parts. I would really like to use the Ford Coyote engine if that's not a budget killer. I'd appreciate any advice on parts scrounging. Is a donor Mustang a good approach? If so what model should I be considering? Thanks in advance!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, read the build threads, donor route is OK but has its pitfalls. Depends on donor. Coyote route would be best with complete kit IMO. I prefer the complete kit but you can save on base kit with donor, if you do not mind the extra labor time. Figure out a budget and then add 50 -200%. These are great fun to build as well as own and drive in the long run. Best of luck and feel free to ask questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Tons of information on this forum and the other one. Spend some time on both. Lots of build threads, and a number of threads on the pros and cons of donor builds. Donor builds are not nearly as common as they were in the past simply based on the availability of donors. The best Mustang candidates run the gamut between old and tired or too nice to tear apart. Some are able to get donor builds done for a quite reasonable total spend. Lately I've read about several that started down the donor path but then ended up not using many of the parts. Personally I've chosen not to do donor builds. I love building. I don't love rehabbing parts.

As far as a Coyote build, I'm doing one right now. Build thread in my sig line. Some will say a Coyote is expensive. My response? It's not cheap but it's a great value. There are certainly many cheaper engine choices. That's clear. Especially if you go the donor route and exercise some self control. But any kind of crate or custom motor build with the kind of HP and torque numbers the Coyote can deliver, plus modern fuel injection, and a warranty, will be more than a Coyote. Quite a bit more based on my analysis. Of course a Coyote is far from the originals (look, sound, etc.), so for some this is a deal breaker whether it's a good deal or not. Not sure if your donor Mustang comment included the possibility of a donor Coyote. Couple cautions there. There are some possible deals out there for used Coyotes from Mustangs or F150's. But you will need to buy a new engine computer and associated wiring, power distribution, etc. Either from Ford Racing or there are some 3rd party solutions. But those are for people way more expert than me. Also be aware, if you aren't already, Ford made a number of changes to the Coyote starting in 2015. So 2011-2014 engines have differences from the 2015-2016 version, affecting the electronics and some other aspects. Another thing for you to learn more about depending on what you end up doing.

Two other general comments. You will find a lot of forum bandwidth is on mods and changes. I personally enjoy this aspect. But it's a slippery slope and can kill your budget. So proceed with caution. Finally, as you're defining your budget, don't overlook our favorite subject which is paint costs. Lots of threads on the subject. Unless you plan to paint it yourself, expect paint to be in the 6-7-8K range. It might be more or less, depending on lots of things. But that's a pretty typical range. Don't be surprised about it. Good luck!
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-04-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Welcome, read the build threads, donor route is OK but has its pitfalls. Depends on donor. Coyote route would be best with complete kit IMO. I prefer the complete kit but you can save on base kit with donor, if you do not mind the extra labor time. Figure out a budget and then add 50 -200%. These are great fun to build as well as own and drive in the long run. Best of luck and feel free to ask questions.
    Thanks for your comments Wallace18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Welcome! Tons of information on this forum and the other one. Spend some time on both. Lots of build threads, and a number of threads on the pros and cons of donor builds. Donor builds are not nearly as common as they were in the past simply based on the availability of donors. The best Mustang candidates run the gamut between old and tired or too nice to tear apart. Some are able to get donor builds done for a quite reasonable total spend. Lately I've read about several that started down the donor path but then ended up not using many of the parts. Personally I've chosen not to do donor builds. I love building. I don't love rehabbing parts.

As far as a Coyote build, I'm doing one right now. Build thread in my sig line. Some will say a Coyote is expensive. My response? It's not cheap but it's a great value. There are certainly many cheaper engine choices. That's clear. Especially if you go the donor route and exercise some self control. But any kind of crate or custom motor build with the kind of HP and torque numbers the Coyote can deliver, plus modern fuel injection, and a warranty, will be more than a Coyote. Quite a bit more based on my analysis. Of course a Coyote is far from the originals (look, sound, etc.), so for some this is a deal breaker whether it's a good deal or not. Not sure if your donor Mustang comment included the possibility of a donor Coyote. Couple cautions there. There are some possible deals out there for used Coyotes from Mustangs or F150's. But you will need to buy a new engine computer and associated wiring, power distribution, etc. Either from Ford Racing or there are some 3rd party solutions. But those are for people way more expert than me. Also be aware, if you aren't already, Ford made a number of changes to the Coyote starting in 2015. So 2011-2014 engines have differences from the 2015-2016 version, affecting the electronics and some other aspects. Another thing for you to learn more about depending on what you end up doing.

Two other general comments. You will find a lot of forum bandwidth is on mods and changes. I personally enjoy this aspect. But it's a slippery slope and can kill your budget. So proceed with caution. Finally, as you're defining your budget, don't overlook our favorite subject which is paint costs. Lots of threads on the subject. Unless you plan to paint it yourself, expect paint to be in the 6-7-8K range. It might be more or less, depending on lots of things. But that's a pretty typical range. Don't be surprised about it. Good luck!
    Thanks for your comments Edward. I guess I need to start a spread sheet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scooter, there are a lot of us in the DFW area, if you ever want to come over and check out one in progress, you are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    Scooter, there are a lot of us in the DFW area, if you ever want to come over and check out one in progress, you are welcome.
    That would be greatly appreciated. I see you are located in Irving. How would I go about arranging a meeting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome. As 6t8dart said, there are a good number of FFRs in the D/FW area including Fort Worth.
    This Saturday is the Shelby show in Plano. I'll be there and would be glad to show you my car and talk as much FFR as you wish. Hope we cross paths.
    John
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Welcome. As 6t8dart said, there are a good number of FFRs in the D/FW area including Fort Worth.
    This Saturday is the Shelby show in Plano. I'll be there and would be glad to show you my car and talk as much FFR as you wish. Hope we cross paths.
    John
    What would be a good time to show up? My wife has a appointment Saturday morning early. She wants to come along. Is there a link describing the location ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    Is there a link describing the location ?
    Here is a link:
    https://www.legacytexas.com/campaign...=ShelbyCarShow

I think they also have a facebook page.
    I can't make it this year but I took my wife last year and she enjoyed all the cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RRussellTx View Post
    Here is a link:
    https://www.legacytexas.com/campaign...=ShelbyCarShow

I think they also have a facebook page.
    I can't make it this year but I took my wife last year and she enjoyed all the cars.
    Thanks Russell!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    That would be greatly appreciated. I see you are located in Irving. How would I go about arranging a meeting.
    Just send me a PM