FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build class

Post Thanks / Like

Build class

Goal: Attend MK4 Roadster build class in MI (or other location) with my 15 year old son, and then build the MK4 Roadster back in my garage in RI. I am excited my son and I were able to attend the open house this year. We have a place a mile from the factory and this was the first time we got a chance to attended the open house. We always talk about doing a build but after attending we were convinced. We are mechanically inclined usually working on boat outboards but do not have an automotive background. We have decided to learn as much as we can then take on the project.

Is the only build class in MI?
    Has anyone attended, thoughts on the class?
    Is there a build manual for the mk4 I can review?
    Does anyone have a project planner with cost? (example: I can purchase the kit but then need to build up more money for the motor etc. this may take some time, I would like to spread the project over three years for time and cost )

Sorry for all the questions

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1. You can get the manual in a PDF or Hard copy from Factory Five.
    2. Motts college is the only build school that focuses specifically on Factory Five products.
    3. Your son can attend the class with you.
    4. Several companies offer drive train packages and other components to help speed things along.
    5. If you follow the book, just understand that many of the more seasoned builders on this forum can give you meaningful short cuts & help!
    6. Good Luck & Hope You Get Your Kit Soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, and don't apologize for the questions, it's one of the things this forum does best!!

Everything Steve (GoDadGo) said is spot-on. Get a copy of the manual, and make lots of notes. I wrote mine right in the manual itself.

There are some folks here that have made great excel spreadsheets in which they made pretty complete lists of materials and costs. If you do a search, a couple of them should come up. They are great about sharing what they have, and it will give you a great head start as you create your own build spreadsheet.

I think spreading the costs over a couple of years makes great sense. There are lots of things that can be done before you need to drop the engine and transmission in, and you can push that cost out a bit.

Feel free to ask more questions, and folks much smarter than I will be there to help. Best of luck to you and your son!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on a spread sheet for this purpose right now that I will share in a few weeks. As it stands I am also planning to go to Build school in October with my two boys 16 and 12 come school time. We are going to build a 33 Hot Rod and so far my budget is about 53k with a little more still to finalize and plan and that amount doesn't include paint which will be 6-8k more. My plan is to order the Stage 1 and drivetrain setup with brakes and IRS setup and then once the car is a true roller order the Stage 2 and remaining options. in the end iw ill spend about half in each phase including paint and will spread the cost over 6-8 months in the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo
    Thank you for the feedback. Hope to get it soon as well but need to do my homework. I will look further into the build manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    WIS89 Thank you for your feedback, really glad to here I can find those excel spreadsheet tools, will search tonight. I will take you up on the question offer as they come up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevingib,
    I like how you are planning in stages, sound like we are trying to manage our builds similarly. Although I plan to spread it out at least two years. I am searching for spreadsheets if I find one I will tag you.