FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 289 Fuel Filler routing

Post Thanks / Like

289 Fuel Filler routing

Hello fellow 289 builders,
    Does anyone have a picture of their filler neck routing for their car? The 289 instruction addendum is a bit vague. I have everything roughed in, but things don't seem to line up the way I think they should...
    Thanks!
    Chris
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    Hello fellow 289 builders,
    Does anyone have a picture of their filler neck routing for their car? The 289 instruction addendum is a bit vague. I have everything roughed in, but things don't seem to line up the way I think they should...
    Thanks!
    Chris
    Chris
    Sorry I couldn't help you back then. I agree the instructions are a bit vague.

So for the new builders, here is how I routed my fuel filler:

First off I ordered the kit with no cutout for the fuel filler on the body. I located where I wanted the filler and cut my own hole. I didn't like the supplied rubber elbow so I bought these Gates brand ones from Amazon. Then I had a local muffler shop cut and bead roll one end of both the tube coming from the tank and the other twisty tube. I did not use the supplied brackets, instead I mounted the fuel filler directly on the fiberglass body. I made another gasket for the bottom of the filler and used the aluminum ring on the bottom and sandwiched the hole assembly onto the fiberglass body. I also screwed in a grounding wire. I then placed the Gates rubber tubes and cut them to size. I used the white colored hose bracket to help secure the tubes. Finally, I made sure the assembly had a slight angle so the fuel would flow down into the tank. Hopefully these pictures will clarify things as I'm a terrible explainer.

Last edited by Vspeeds; 07-25-2019 at 12:47 AM.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

3. Likes BlueMud liked this post