Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: September Mott FFR Roadster Build School

Post Thanks / Like

September Mott FFR Roadster Build School

So with my MKIV scheduled to arrive the last week of August I just signed up for the Roadster Build class at Mott. Anyone else in the class this September? Anyone taken the class in the past? Any review or stories?

Post Thanks / Like
    I attended last August. It was a lot of fun. Worth every penny and then some. Take lots of notes and photos. I thought I took a lot of notes, but then realized there were a lot of holes when I went back to them later... Get your hands into as many activities as you can. The instructors are great, too!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen a lot of people said that about the notes. Hopefully I can get enough to be dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found out anyone in the September class will get a special treat as the Great Lakes Cobra Club is scheduled to be at Mott on the 17th.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll have a great time at the build school, and +1 on the suggestions about documentation: you can't over-note or over-photograph.

In any case, IMO you'll get much more out of it if you go to the school with questions already formed in your mind. Therefore, recommend unpacking your kit and going through the instructions, laying the parts out, undertaking some trial assembly, etc. to any extent possible before going to Mott.

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went in February with my father and son and we all had a great weekend. I agree will Al_C - well worth it. I hadn't ordered yet and it really affected what I bought. They also have examples of the options like the three different rear ends or common 3rd party products like the Breeze battery box.

I recommend taking notes right in the build manual which they hand out. Just follow along with the manual during the school build. This is way easier than trying to look through your notes to find info about the part you are working on. There are a few times I was working through the book and saw something that I forgot about and would have forgotten to look up in my notes.

I also took a lot of pictures that I refer to all the time. Video snippets are good too. You aren't supposed to video the whole class or the lectures but the instructors didn't mind some shorts. I wish I took more.

Ask a lot of questions, those guys (we had Charles and Scott) are a wealth of info.

You will have a great time - good luck!
    Doug
    Mk4 Roadster #8843. Kit Pickup: 03/19/2016
    Roush Performance 331 SRXE Crate Engine, TKO-600, 3-link rear, 17x9 and 17x10.5 Halibrand wheels w/ Nitto NT05 tires
    Doug's Mk4 Build Thread - Annapolis, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Waters View Post
    You'll have a great time at the build school, and +1 on the suggestions about documentation: you can't over-note or over-photograph.

In any case, IMO you'll get much more out of it if you go to the school with questions already formed in your mind. Therefore, recommend unpacking your kit and going through the instructions, laying the parts out, undertaking some trial assembly, etc. to any extent possible before going to Mott.

Have fun.
    I didn't really think about unpacking the kit before the class. I was thinking the opposite, but I can see how it would be helpful. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoran View Post
    I went in February with my father and son and we all had a great weekend. I agree will Al_C - well worth it. I hadn't ordered yet and it really affected what I bought. They also have examples of the options like the three different rear ends or common 3rd party products like the Breeze battery box.

I recommend taking notes right in the build manual which they hand out. Just follow along with the manual during the school build. This is way easier than trying to look through your notes to find info about the part you are working on. There are a few times I was working through the book and saw something that I forgot about and would have forgotten to look up in my notes.

I also took a lot of pictures that I refer to all the time. Video snippets are good too. You aren't supposed to video the whole class or the lectures but the instructors didn't mind some shorts. I wish I took more.

Ask a lot of questions, those guys (we had Charles and Scott) are a wealth of info.

You will have a great time - good luck!
    Doug
    Putting the notes in the manual is a great idea. I never thought about doing it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to revive this post since it is now September and the class is 2 weeks away. I really can't wait and hope to see some of you guys out at Mott. I know the Great Lakes Cobra Club will be there and I hope to meet edwardb and get to see one of his cars live and in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's on my calendar and looking forward to it! Good old #7750 making the brief trek. Just need the weather to cooperate. Like always.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.