Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hard Top install tips - add yours

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard Top install tips - add yours

I just got my 818 retrofit hard top 2 days ago but I thought I'd start a thread where we can list some installation tips.
    Headliner:I learned that 3M Headliner and Fabric adhesive ($18.99) doesn't work holding our aluminum headliner to fiber glass. I followed the instructions exactly with the hard top upside-down and weighted for 4 hours. On the car overnight in the garage it came down. Next, I'll try silicone sealant and report back. I'm in a perfect test location with 115 degrees today!

Hatch hinge: The manual (1P) says to mount the hinge arm to the hatch with 1/4x20 bolts. What it doesn't say is that you should first mount rivnuts in the hatch cover. Nate at FFR said that there is aluminum inside the molded hatch cover so rivnuts will hold.
    Last edited by AZPete; 04-03-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).