Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cindy and Mike's Building thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red face Cindy and Mike's Building thread

Hi..
    Mi name is Mike,

My wife Cindy and i are starting this new and exiting idea (it was her idea actually) as a mutual gift for our 12th aniversary

we just started/received it this last Wednesday (15th of June)

dmoran sugested to start a new tread regarding the development for our little baby ( i know it sounds quirky :P ) so here i am..

no pictures at this time, but promise to upload some of them tomorrow (hopping this tread allow that)

thank you in advance for your support and why not, friendship. We feel honored to start being part of this family. Loved the motto " Build not Bought"

by the way she is creating a journal herself, feel free to take a look at it (there are pictures from "the baby" as well as ours down is the link to it

https://spark.adobe.com/page/BsajF/

have a great night!!!
    --------------------------------------
    update 9:13 pm ct

Have some spear time at hand;

we decided to go for the more "classic" approach using the 15's wheels with fat tires, a though here: we got the tires at tire rack but could't find good year, so we bought the only ones available: BFGoodrich Radial T/A.
    for the engine we called blue print engines (was Tony's from FF suggestion) and we are getting a "BluePrint 347 Fuel Injected engine; with the polished front drive assembly (no power steering or A/C) and a Tremec TKO 5-speed transmission packaged as an assembly"
    according to Pete from BP.
    finally we are doing some copy cat here and going with a dark gray with yellow stripes color, wife loves it!!!
    Last edited by michael pavon; 06-20-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your purchase, You'll have a lot of fun putting it together. Pretty nice Crib for the new arrival
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, thank you Rick!
    by the way, jus saw your tread and could't stop noticing that you got the "goodyears", can you enlighten me where to find them?
    i got BFGoodrich Radial T/A 'cause i was not able to find those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to follow another build here. Good luck and lots of fun! Check out other build threads, specially Edwards two builds, you can learn a lot and he describes every bit of the build really in details - thanks to Edward!

Regards, Georg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your decision to build a roadster and keep the posts coming. PM David Hodgkins and he can get your profile updated so you can post pictures and move this thread to the roadster build section. Otherwise you will have to wait till your post count reaches 20 to post pictures.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congratulations! My only recommendation is to re-think power steering. It has two advantages; 1-obviously reduces the effort needed to drive the car (which would also be important if a kid runs in front chasing a ball), 2-allows you to run a lot more positive caster which helps the car track straight down the road w/ less help from the driver.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rmiller64 View Post
    Congrats on your purchase, You'll have a lot of fun putting it together. Pretty nice Crib for the new arrival
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Georg View Post
    Looking forward to follow another build here. Good luck and lots of fun! Check out other build threads, specially Edwards two builds, you can learn a lot and he describes every bit of the build really in details - thanks to Edward!

Regards, Georg
    Will do

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Welcome and congratulations! My only recommendation is to re-think power steering. It has two advantages; 1-obviously reduces the effort needed to drive the car (which would also be important if a kid runs in front chasing a ball), 2-allows you to run a lot more positive caster which helps the car track straight down the road w/ less help from the driver.
    ok... makes sense, and the engine has not being delivered yet, i think i can do the quick upgrade.. any suggestion for the "new" direction i will have to use to upgrade from the standard one? thank you
    Last edited by michael pavon; 06-21-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What local are you in? You have lots of friends on the forum that will help you with your build and give great advice. My advice is to call breeze and talk o them about the whole p/s setup, rack, hoses, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    What local are you in? You have lots of friends on the forum that will help you with your build and give great advice. My advice is to call breeze and talk o them about the whole p/s setup, rack, hoses, etc.
    Heeeee, let me look into that �� We're in the most southern part of Texas, right in the border with Reynosa, Mexico.
    City is called McAllen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael pavon View Post
    Heeeee, let me look into that �� We're in the most southern part of Texas, right in the border with Reynosa, Mexico.
    City is called McAllen
    And for the part of "lots of friends" i can tell already

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Central/Texas it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Congratulations on your decision to build a roadster and keep the posts coming. PM David Hodgkins and he can get your profile updated so you can post pictures and move this thread to the roadster build section. Otherwise you will have to wait till your post count reaches 20 to post pictures.
    thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your journal is great! Cindy is very creative and that Adobe Spark makes a nice presentation. I may need to try it.

On the rear suspension, it's pretty common to mount the rear shock with the spring facing up. For the red Koni's, they will work the same in either direction. At build school they said to go spring up in the back and down in the front and I can't remember why. I think it had something to do with clearance and maybe e-brake cable staying out of the coil. It was mentioned that it was easier to adjust the rears coil up at the bottom of this thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...fit-this-close

The Factory Five videos that Dan put out also shows the spring up but he doesn't say why:

I have found that there is a lot "missing" from the manual and picked up a bunch from build school but mostly from this forum. Before every new assembly, it's good to search the forums on that topic to find out the options, tricks and gotcha's. Someone recommended edwardb's build threads, I always go there first to see what he did on that step. He has very good explanations for why he does what he does.

At first, I found it annoying that a lot of the build is hidden in forum folk lore and history but very quickly, I found that to be as much fun as the build itself. There are truly a lot of options and touches that can make your car unique. The book only shows one path of many. It really adds to the confidence for me when I know why I am doing something this way vs that way, that someone has already tried it, and that you are not alone.

Good luck!
    Doug
    Mk4 Roadster #8843. Kit Pickup: 03/19/2016
    Roush Performance 331 SRXE Crate Engine, TKO-600, 3-link rear, 17x9 and 17x10.5 Halibrand wheels w/ Nitto NT05 tires
    Doug's Mk4 Build Thread - Annapolis, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    There are lots of builds going on in Texas right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://rogerkrausracing.com/ For the Goodyear billboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram4x4sprt View Post
    http://rogerkrausracing.com/ For the Goodyear billboards

thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, thank you Rick!
    by the way, jus saw your tread and could't stop noticing that you got the "goodyears", can you enlighten me where to find them?
    i got BFGoodrich Radial T/A 'cause i was not able to find those.
    PM sent
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Michael, I've updated your account so you can post pics and update your profile. I'm also moving this thread to the roadster build threads forum.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, congratulations on getting your new baby. So nice the wife supports you, and is actually getting involved in it with you.

I don't believe any Goodyear billboard tires are yet DOT approved for the streets. That could be an issue during your inspection. May depend how close they look at everything. 15" tires are certainly a lot more limited than they were 10 years ago...but I sure love the wide sidewall look of them on the roadsters, the billboards especially. You could always use the billboard paint stencils, or the stick on lettering kits available, if it's the look your wanting.

Power steering has it's good points, and bad points. Believe me, ask that question in a separate post, and you'll see a plethora of opinions.. Could also probably do a quick search, and find the same arguments for and against it..lol Be nice if you had a chance to compare the differences first hand, before deciding.

Foremost, there is a lot more time and work, involved in the installation of it, and the additional costs of adding it, which can be substantial if not using the donor set up.

It always has the potential for leaks. Pumps, pulley's, hoses, belts, etc, which clutter up the engine compartment, and aren't very Cobra-ish.. Loss of feedback through the steering, some say takes away from the driving experience, and finesse in handling the car.

Proper alignment with, or without power, is still the determining factor, as to how it tracks. When set up correctly there shouldn't be any added effort either way, when cruising. When parking, or just inching along, power steering would be a big advantage. Many of the fellows who do Autocross events regularly, claim having power can make a big difference. The many tight turns at lower speeds, could be a challenge with non-power steering.

If you have any issue with upper body strength, or perhaps if your wife will drive the car from time to time, power would make driving it much less work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoran View Post
    Your journal is great! Cindy is very creative and that Adobe Spark makes a nice presentation. I may need to try it.

On the rear suspension, it's pretty common to mount the rear shock with the spring facing up. For the red Koni's, they will work the same in either direction. At build school they said to go spring up in the back and down in the front and I can't remember why. I think it had something to do with clearance and maybe e-brake cable staying out of the coil. It was mentioned that it was easier to adjust the rears coil up at the bottom of this thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...fit-this-close

The Factory Five videos that Dan put out also shows the spring up but he doesn't say why:

I have found that there is a lot "missing" from the manual and picked up a bunch from build school but mostly from this forum. Before every new assembly, it's good to search the forums on that topic to find out the options, tricks and gotcha's. Someone recommended edwardb's build threads, I always go there first to see what he did on that step. He has very good explanations for why he does what he does.

At first, I found it annoying that a lot of the build is hidden in forum folk lore and history but very quickly, I found that to be as much fun as the build itself. There are truly a lot of options and touches that can make your car unique. The book only shows one path of many. It really adds to the confidence for me when I know why I am doing something this way vs that way, that someone has already tried it, and that you are not alone.

Good luck!
    Doug
    Hey Doug...WAW!!!

this was really really enlightening.

and by coincidence you nail a problem that we face ourselves couple days ago.. clearance for the back wheel, i notice the wheel hits the bottom part of the shock, but i just assumed i was doing something wrong there,
    now, if i get the shocks backwards i think: problem solved!!!!!

PD: Question i have missing some spacers here you can see in the pictures any input where to buy them? again, thanks for all you uunnamed-1.jpgr help!!!

tried to look for Mr. edwardb treads, but couldn't find them, will ask the wife to search for me :P she's the pro! jejejeje

and again you are absolutely right, the manual is very general and skip very often some steps, but oh well.. part of the fun, just wish to be more knowledgeable in the matter. will come with the experience!unnamed.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, Cindy,

Just wanted to say that your Adobe-Spark page is great and I will be following your build.
    Good luck and have fun.

Nathan
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    i used a washer on mine, i did not have a spacer either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    i used a washer on mine, i did not have a spacer either.
    really? and no problem i guess.. ok, will try that, thanks!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawleyscobra View Post
    Mike, Cindy,

Just wanted to say that your Adobe-Spark page is great and I will be following your build.
    Good luck and have fun.

Nathan
    i like your post regarding the front speakers, i being hopping to get some speakers there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Michael,

here is the link to Edward's 7750 build - hope you don't mind Edward... It's reading like a very good book...

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...highlight=7750

Georg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Georg View Post
    Hi Michael,

here is the link to Edward's 7750 build - hope you don't mind Edward... It's reading like a very good book...

Georg
    Of course I don't mind. That's the link to my completed Mk4, all cleaned up and ready to go to London tomorrow. My sig line has the link to that build thread plus the 20th Anniversary build currently under way.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by georg View Post
    hi michael,

here is the link to edward's 7750 build - hope you don't mind edward... It's reading like a very good book...

georg
    thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    really? and no problem i guess.. ok, will try that, thanks!!!!!
    See picture below, I did not get an 1/8 spacer, but there was a thick washer.

Capture 12.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    See picture below, I did not get an 1/8 spacer, but there was a thick washer.

Capture 12.JPG
    thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE Pictures:
    we think "almost done" with the front suspension, what do you think guys?
    thanks! IMG_1830(2).jpgIMG_1831.JPGIMG_1832(1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good Morning,

You know what? is Sunday, than excuse dumb questions like: why the water is wet?? :P

so... here i am asking:

Who is Breeze? it is a person's nickname, a company an expresion??

you will have to excuse my question and please count to 10 before shooting and answer back, jejejeje

have a great day!!!

Mike

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning,

You know what? is Sunday, than excuse dumb questions like: why the water is wet?? :P

so... here i am asking:

Who is Breeze? it is a person's nickname, a company an expresion??

you will have to excuse my question and please count to 10 before shooting and answer back, jejejeje

have a great day!!!

Mike
    They are a FFR vendor. Click on Vendors at the top of this page and scroll down . Check all of them when you have time. Lots of cool stuff. Here is their website.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE Pictures:
    we think "almost done" with the front suspension, what do you think guys?
    thanks! IMG_1830(2).jpgIMG_1831.JPGIMG_1832(1).jpg
    Sorry, but your ball joints are facing the wrong way. They need to point outward. image.jpeg

See how the "fat" side of the ball joint socket faces the outside which angles the ball joint post to the outside? You may have to take one UCA apart and flip the ball joint holder. That's what I had to do.

Doug
    Last edited by dmoran; 06-26-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Mk4 Roadster #8843. Kit Pickup: 03/19/2016
    Roush Performance 331 SRXE Crate Engine, TKO-600, 3-link rear, 17x9 and 17x10.5 Halibrand wheels w/ Nitto NT05 tires
    Doug's Mk4 Build Thread - Annapolis, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Michael, I've updated your account so you can post pics and update your profile. I'm also moving this thread to the roadster build threads forum.

just saw your post, thank you!
    i was wandering how it got in the right place by it self!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    They are a FFR vendor. Click on Vendors at the top of this page and scroll down . Check all of them when you have time. Lots of cool stuff. Here is their website.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/
    thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoran View Post
    Sorry, but your ball joints are facing the wrong way. They need to point outward. image.jpeg

See how the "fat" side of the ball joint socket faces the outside which angles the ball joint post to the outside? You may have to take one UCA apart and flip the ball joint holder. That's what I had to do.

Doug
    you are absolutely right!

thank you for the input
    have a great day

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    03 july.jpg

almost done with the panels!!!

Hurraaaa!!
    (to paint them don't make me super happy)
    still waiting for the right rear axle to arrive from FF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike and Cindy-

Looking good y'all. I have to say how much I like the baby's nursery! You have her set up very nicely, and I am sure she will be comfortable in there.

I like the black panels, they look great.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast