FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceral View Post
    Most people do not realize how much work goes into these bodies to get them straight. They are very wavy and every sq.inch has to be worked. The Hot Rod bodies don't even fit correctly and have to be really Frankensteined in order to get to fit. It will be worth the wait. My body wasn't even close to fitting. They said they had to add material to the doors to get the gaps right on one end . I had to take them my frame for final fitment. That's mine beside the blue one with the hood and trunk laying on it.
    I was wondering if some of those cars were fellow forum members. Glad you responded. I know the end result will be worth it. I'm just really impatient! haha
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like

new pcm and door strap dye

I had previously mentioned some issues with my PCM and resulting poor engine running and undiagnosed DTC codes.
    I received a replacement PCM from Ford yesterday. Hooked it up and the motor cranked right up and is back to running beautifully. I am not sure what happened to the previous PCM that I had sent in to Ford Racing but it certainly had become damaged somehow in transit or something. With the new one installed I took an opportunity for another quick go cart ride in the cold. It was good to be back on the road after dealing with that motor issue since Thanksgiving. I am up to 54 miles now. Ford asked I send them my original so they can see what is wrong with it. Not sure if I will ever hear back but I am curious.

Today I once again followed Edwardb's good idea and dyed my leather door straps. I noticed he also did the leather on the seat belts. I changed out my belts to some aftermarket ones and did not need to do anything with those..
    Here is the before:

These are the supplies I used. Ordered them on Amazon. Pretty cheap. I used about 1% of the bottles. I think I now have a lifetime supply of leather dye. The three products are the dye, edge finishing and the finish coat that supplies the shine. Prior to putting the finish coat on they were black but pretty dull. If you are looking for a dull finish just bypass the resolene.

Here they are finished. Pretty simple to do. I like how the black will blend in better with the rest of the interior.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like

color concept photoshop

Decided on my colors and a friend was nice enough to use her photoshop talent to make a mockup for me. Really pleased how it looks. Certainly not a traditional look but I prefer something a little different. My original concept drawing is my avatar. I stayed pretty true to that other than deciding on the triple stripe pattern. Guess when the car is done I will have to purchase another drawing to match!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Decided on my colors and a friend was nice enough to use her photoshop talent to make a mockup for me. Really pleased how it looks. Certainly not a traditional look but I prefer something a little different. My original concept drawing is my avatar. I stayed pretty true to that other than deciding on the triple stripe pattern. Guess when the car is done I will have to purchase another drawing to match!
    Scott, that looks great. Different but classic still. Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the color scheme a lot. Will be really striking. One question though. Are you planning to extend the stripes down onto the lower part of the radiator opening and the oil cooler opening? Maybe it's just the rendering.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I like the color scheme a lot. Will be really striking. One question though. Are you planning to extend the stripes down onto the lower part of the radiator opening and the oil cooler opening? Maybe it's just the rendering.
    Yes stripes will go all the way.
    My friend is a photographer for USA Today sports images. I just asked for her advice on what program to use so I could attempt a mockup. Instead she just did it for me which I appreciated. She doesn't know Cobra's though and I'm not even sure where she came up with the image she used so I wasn't to concerned about the stripes not being below the radiator opening. Beggars can't be choosers. Haha

Post Thanks / Like

trunk kit

Well this is about where I am at on my build. Waiting for the body to be ready. Have a few very minor things I can do but honestly I am dragging my feet to make those small items last me for a while so I don't run out of things to do. Luckily the weather continues to be nice so I will just go cart around the neighborhood every couple of days. I am up to 55 miles now. Getting pretty routine driving around the neighborhood again and again. Anxious to get out on some real roads! On the positive side the neighbors don't really look at me to strangely anymore because they are all used to it.

I am getting way ahead of myself but I figured I would throw together a trunk tool kit. Went to harbour freight and got everything for about $115. Some of this may be overkill but I like to be prepared in case I have any roadside issues.

I have included:
    paper towels
    towel
    can of fix a flat
    work gloves/ rubber gloves
    zip ties
    hose clamps
    utility knife
    flashlight
    allen wrench set
    rubber mallet
    screw drivers
    pliers
    adjustable wrenches
    socket set
    duct tape

Any other essentials anyone would recommend? Any input is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    I would change those needle nose pliers out for a set of Vise Grip needle nose. They give you more leverage, can do the same grip and turn function, and can be attached to hold something in place, if needed. Good luck,
    I have read where they were used to pinch off a leaking brake line, hold a trailer ball on the tongue, pinch off various leaking hoses, etc.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    ---Wire stripers, crimpers, a variety of spade, butt and ring connectors along with a few feet of 12 or 14 ga. wire.

---Small digital volt/ohm meter.

---Channel locks.

---Socket to fit your lug nuts on a 1/2" breaker bar.

Hopefully you'll never need any of it!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the colors and the tripple stripe.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Good tips on the tools. I'll make a few additions. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Merry Christmas

Wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. It has been a great year working on this project and I am so pleased to have come to know so many fine people on this forum.

Today I took the go cart out again and took a few neighbors for rides. That is always fun. I am up to about 65 miles and everything is running great.

Christmas came a day early. Besides cars I really like collecting watches. My wife got me this one for Christmas. It is a Baume & Mercier Shelby Cobra limited edition. Really love it and will enjoy wearing it while driving the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, great Christmas present. Very cool! This past August our local Cobra club was invited to an event at a jewelry store in Birmingham, MI. They were introducing that exact Baume & Mercier watch. Alan Grant was there with one of his replicas of CSX2128. Saw the watch in person. Even tried it on and liked it very much. But left with only the free hat.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Christmas Scott! Super awesome present. Enjoy finishing your build in the New Year. Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like

Paint is done!!!....sort of

Well I am getting pretty antsy waiting for the paint to be done. I decided to take matters into my own hands ... on a 1/18th scale! Haha

I bought a die cast model and painted it up to match how my car will look when done. I actually really like the paint job now that I am sort of seeing it in person. It will look nice sitting on my desk while I browse the forum and day dream about the day when I have the completed real thing in my garage! Here are a couple pics. Fun project!

Post Thanks / Like
    The little one looks great! Do you have a date for paint completion on the 1:1 scale version?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The little one looks great! Do you have a date for paint completion on the 1:1 scale version?

Jeff
    Thanks!
    No date yet but I hope to have a pretty solid estimate soon.

Post Thanks / Like

pcm issues

Happy New Year to all and I hope everyone has a blessed 2017!

I am a little frustrated in my build currently. I have been fighting some pcm issues off and on for over a month. I have mentioned it a bit previously but here is a recap.

Original PCM was working beautifully on initial install. I had purchased a SCT X4 tuner to install an aftermarket tune. (since then through research I have determined that I don't even want or need an aftermarket tune but that is an entire other story!) I was having issues getting the tuner to communicate with the car. Traced that to two wires in my OBD plug that were wrong. Apparently Ford sent out a batch that had two wires incorrectly positioned and I was one of the lucky recipients. Once I swapped the wires my issue was still not completely resolved. The Ford Racing tech support supervisor that I had been working with requested I send him both the pcm and the tuner and he would look into it. When he sent me the pcm back and I hooked it up the car was running horribly and giving me a DTC code indicating a MAF issue. Now the car was running perfectly before sending the pcm in and sat untouched the 10 days or so it was gone. I found it highly unlikely the MAF sensor failed at the exact time the pcm was gone. They sent me a new MAF sensor which did nothing to correct the problem. Then they sent me a new PCM. I plugged that in and everything was back to normal and the car was running great. Not sure what happened with the first pcm. Possibly it was damaged in shipping or something.

After a few drives with the new pcm I got a MIL light. I hooked up my code reader and got a P0116. No problem there as I had previously learned that was a known issue with the crate motor pcms. On my first pcm they sent me a flash device to upload new software and the P0116 code never came back. I called my contact at ford again and he told me he would send the flash device again and I could update the new pcm. When the flash device came it failed halfway through the update for some reason. When it starts the update the first thing it does is erase the current software and then update to the new software. When it failed halfway through I basically had nothing on my pcm. After 2 hours on the phone with Ford we got it to load but now the car will crank and not fire up. The strange thing is the fuel pump is running but the pressure regulator is not registering. The motor is trying to turn over but will not fire up. It seems like it is not getting gas but I can smell fuel. No signs of leaks anywhere. Prior to this the motor has cranked right away every time I have ever turned the key. Once again I find it highly unlikely that some component is going to fail exactly at the same time I am updating the pcm. My contact at ford agrees and believes there is a problem with the pcm again. So I have sent the pcm back to them for testing. I am currently waiting for it to get to them and for them to turn it around and get it back to me.

Hopefully when it comes back it will be good to go again. It has been frustrating but I am glad this is happening now during the phase when I am trying to put about 100 miles on the car prior to the body going on. I kind of look at this as my testing phase so I guess its good these problems are showing up now vs when I would want to be out on the road driving a finished car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, that does sound frustrating. I wish I could help but I have no PCM experience.

Good luck and just think, you will be a PCM expert when your done.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year to all and I hope everyone has a blessed 2017!

I am a little frustrated in my build currently. I have been fighting some pcm issues off and on for over a month. I have mentioned it a bit previously but here is a recap.

Original PCM was working beautifully on initial install. I had purchased a SCT X4 tuner to install an aftermarket tune. (since then through research I have determined that I don't even want or need an aftermarket tune but that is an entire other story!) I was having issues getting the tuner to communicate with the car. Traced that to two wires in my OBD plug that were wrong. Apparently Ford sent out a batch that had two wires incorrectly positioned and I was one of the lucky recipients. Once I swapped the wires my issue was still not completely resolved. The Ford Racing tech support supervisor that I had been working with requested I send him both the pcm and the tuner and he would look into it. When he sent me the pcm back and I hooked it up the car was running horribly and giving me a DTC code indicating a MAF issue. Now the car was running perfectly before sending the pcm in and sat untouched the 10 days or so it was gone. I found it highly unlikely the MAF sensor failed at the exact time the pcm was gone. They sent me a new MAF sensor which did nothing to correct the problem. Then they sent me a new PCM. I plugged that in and everything was back to normal and the car was running great. Not sure what happened with the first pcm. Possibly it was damaged in shipping or something.

After a few drives with the new pcm I got a MIL light. I hooked up my code reader and got a P0116. No problem there as I had previously learned that was a known issue with the crate motor pcms. On my first pcm they sent me a flash device to upload new software and the P0116 code never came back. I called my contact at ford again and he told me he would send the flash device again and I could update the new pcm. When the flash device came it failed halfway through the update for some reason. When it starts the update the first thing it does is erase the current software and then update to the new software. When it failed halfway through I basically had nothing on my pcm. After 2 hours on the phone with Ford we got it to load but now the car will crank and not fire up. The strange thing is the fuel pump is running but the pressure regulator is not registering. The motor is trying to turn over but will not fire up. It seems like it is not getting gas but I can smell fuel. No signs of leaks anywhere. Prior to this the motor has cranked right away every time I have ever turned the key. Once again I find it highly unlikely that some component is going to fail exactly at the same time I am updating the pcm. My contact at ford agrees and believes there is a problem with the pcm again. So I have sent the pcm back to them for testing. I am currently waiting for it to get to them and for them to turn it around and get it back to me.

Hopefully when it comes back it will be good to go again. It has been frustrating but I am glad this is happening now during the phase when I am trying to put about 100 miles on the car prior to the body going on. I kind of look at this as my testing phase so I guess its good these problems are showing up now vs when I would want to be out on the road driving a finished car.
    Hang in there. I have no doubt you will fiquire it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobinsonx2 View Post
    Man, that does sound frustrating. I wish I could help but I have no PCM experience.

Good luck and just think, you will be a PCM expert when your done.
    Ha yep I'm definitely learning a lot.
    It does give me concerns on how I can handle potential engine issues that are computer related during the build. Can't exactly drive it to a Ford dealer. I did have a Ford tech support guy tell me once all the equipment at the dealership is set up to read by VIN number and since the crate motor doesn't have that he wasn't sure if the dealer could work on them. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it but I didn't think that statement seemed right. At least I can take the entire computer off and send it to them for now.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 01-02-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

I really like the "new" color scheme. The wide center stripe looks sharp, and the two side stripes set it off nicely!

Sorry about your PCM, and I have nothing to offer except my well wishes. I can only imagine the frustration!

Let me know if I can run by Whitby's for you. I am not that far, and need to drop some things off there anyway, so just say the word.

Absolutely LOVE the watch! It's a bit up market for me, but it is beautiful!

All the best as you wrap up your car here as 2017 begins.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Scott-

I really like the "new" color scheme. The wide center stripe looks sharp, and the two side stripes set it off nicely!

Sorry about your PCM, and I have nothing to offer except my well wishes. I can only imagine the frustration!

Let me know if I can run by Whitby's for you. I am not that far, and need to drop some things off there anyway, so just say the word.

Absolutely LOVE the watch! It's a bit up market for me, but it is beautiful!

All the best as you wrap up your car here as 2017 begins.

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks Steve. Happy New Year

Post Thanks / Like

Smile gauge decision

I came to find out speed hut could do custom faces for the gauges. I am considering sending mine in and having them refaced. The cost is pretty reasonable. About $300 for the set. I really like having a unique look to my projects. All these cars we build are one of a kind and I think the personalization is one of my favorite aspects. With my high back seats, fighter stick shifter, dual roll bars and the triple stripe I will be doing my car will certainly not be a traditional Cobra look.

As far as the gauge faces you are somewhat limited on colors you can choose from. Speed hut offers a tangerine color. I was concerned about just selecting it by an online picture. I called and asked if they could send a color sample which they said they could not. I was disappointed in that and determined my best course of action would be to have a sample gauge made so I could see one in person. The clock was the cheapest thing they offered so I ordered one of those. That had me in for $76. At this point what is another $76! haha I ordered it on 11/28 and it arrived today. A little slower than their normal service with the holidays I think.

Here is the clock. Silver with a tangerine triple stripe. I would also be interested in adding a small cobra logo they offer on each gauge face but figured for just the sample I did not need to pay extra for that.

Now for my dilemma. The silver is not close to my gray and the orange is close but certainly not the same color as my stripes will be. Here are a couple pictures comparing my paint samples, the gauge, and the diecast I painted up. Also one of the gauge vs the originals. That is all I have for now. The lighting in the picture with the die cast isn't the best. The orange in the other picture is pretty true.

I am fine with the look of the silver on the gauge face. I think it would actually compliment the look nicely. I am going to have to think about the orange. IF they would do a custom orange color that matched perfectly it would be a slam dunk. I may try asking again and see if I can work something out but am doubtful. Another consideration is my red rocker switch covers in the picture. If I change gauges I will swap those out to black. My fighter stick has a couple very small red buttons which is why those are red in the first place.

So what are your opinions on the custom gauge face?
    (My buddy asked me when I was asking about colors if his opinion mattered? I said absolutely, it is 95% me, 4% my wife and 1% everyone else's input! haha) I do like to hear the opinions though

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to the gauges I think form should follow function and the colors you've got on your sample don't give enough contrast and might take a split second longer to read the gauge, and the white dials are hard to see against the white background. If it's not an exact match I would skip it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your seat belts are a third color orange, correct?
    On one hand, that would make me think that a different orange variation would be ok, but it might be too much.

My bigger question would be if a dash full of striped gauges would look too busy (regardless of the color match) - looking at 1 by itelf is fine, but 7 of them might get crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    Your seat belts are a third color orange, correct?
    On one hand, that would make me think that a different orange variation would be ok, but it might be too much.

My bigger question would be if a dash full of striped gauges would look too busy (regardless of the color match) - looking at 1 by itelf is fine, but 7 of them might get crazy.
    Here is a picture from Chris Gundermann that shows a full panel. I think it looks pretty awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    (My buddy asked me when I was asking about colors if his opinion mattered? I said absolutely, it is 95% me, 4% my wife and 1% everyone else's input! haha) I do like to hear the opinions though
    I am more comfortable knowing that you have your opinion priorities in correct focus! It should be all about you unless you plan to sell the car immediately, which clearly you do not. My 1% is this: I like the silver face, but the "tangerine" doesn't look like any ripe tangerine I would ever eat!! I like the custom gauges, like the concept of the stripes, but don't think the color works with the other colors you have. I like the red switch covers, and you are correct that they would have to go. I would like it better if a) they had a decent orange color, and b) they had your triple stripe pattern. As is, I say skip it, save your money. If they can give you a good color match on the stripes, perhaps.

Just remember, opinions are like navels: everybody's got one!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    My 1%...the stripes, even if they were an exact match, are a bit much and would be even more so with the Cobra logo. If you want to make a change from the current gauges to add some color I suggest gray/silver faces with orange pointers. But your vote carries 95 times the weight of mine

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

fuel pump failure

I got my pcm back from Ford racing. They said it checked out ok. Prior to sending it I was having a couple issues. One being no fuel pressure showing on my regulator although the pump was running. Since everything had run perfectly right up to messing with the pcm upload to fix the P0116 code I and the Ford racing tech I was on the phone with deduced it was likely the PCM so I sent it to them. Well after it came back and it checked ok I hooked it up again and still no fuel pressure.
    I figured it was time to look at the fuel system.
    Started with the output of the fuel filter. Unhooked the fuel hose and then activated the pump. NO fuel came out.
    Next I tried the inlet hose to the fuel filter to determine if the filter was blocked. Well nothing was going into the filter either so it was clear that while the pump was running no fuel was leaving the tank for whatever reason.
    At that point on the advice of my build mentor Paul I dropped the fuel tank so I could get the pump out.

Once I did that I took the pump out and found that the hose on the pump had come loose.

I have no idea how that happened but it sure explained why the fuel was not leaving the tank. I purchased this pump from Breeze. I called Mark and asked if he had seen this before. As usual his customer service was outstanding. He told me to send it to him and he would fix or replace it. I think it simply needs another clamp but I don't have the tool for the crimp type clamp so I elected to let him do it.

I am quite amazed that the car ran perfectly the last time I drove it prior to the pcm update and that the pump simultaneously failed right when I was doing the pcm. I cant see how they could be related so I will just write it off as an amazing coincidence. Hopefully I will have the pump back soon and be back on the road for some more go carting. I wonder if it is possible some back pressure due to a pcm fault of some sort could have caused the line to blow off??

Mark at Breeze indicated he has seen this happen before but it is very rare. I guess the only thing to be learned would be to just check those clamps over and make sure they all seem very secure prior to installing the pump in the tank. I know when I put it in I did not give it a second thought or look to closely at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Custom gauge color

I previously updated about my hopes of refacing my gauges to match my orange stripe. The sample gauge I ordered just did not look good enough to me. The orange color they offer is not close enough. That is the only orange color speed hut produces. I called to ask for a custom color at an additional charge but they will not do it.

Since I now have the sample clock that is pretty much useless to me I am wondering about taking it apart and seeing if I can get the printed face out. I am wondering if I could get a local print shop to make some for me and I could switch them all out.

Anyone ever try disassembling a gauge? Is this feasible?
    My thought is from what speed hut told me is they print the face out and then assemble the gauge. Wondering why I could not have the same done locally?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you can disassemble the gauges and make your own faces. The front bezel screws off and the hands can probably be pulled off the shafts. The problem is what you don't know about what is done to maintain accuracy and the assembly techniques. I would assume the gauges are cleaned and assembled in a clean room, an environment not available in the home. Instruments, like a watch, require a clean case and parts along with the right lubricants for longevity.

Perhaps Speed Hut would swap the faces if you supplied them. A simple CAD package and a color printer could produce the custom faces. A lacquer finish would keep debris from coming from the paper and ink over time.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like

gauge face 2

Good points King. Thanks.

I did get them apart quite easily.

Couple problems in addition to the clean reassembly King mentioned.
    The printed face seems to be a special disk that has the wiring attached to it that provides for the backlighting. I see no way to reproduce that locally. I would not want gauges that were incapable of being properly lit. Based on Speedhuts unwillingness to provide a custom color I seriously doubt they would supply me with blank disks to get printed myself. Not to mention they probably have special machines that cut the disks after they are printed.

I think that is just to much to overcome so I will put that bright idea to bed. Would have loved the look but the stock gauges look very nice as well so it is just fine.

Another $76 sitting on the parts shelf! haha Anyone have a failed clock and need replacement parts?
    The nice part is the clock came with another one of the plug in cables with the setting button. Previously I had the one that came in the box set up so I could swap it for use with the speedo, tach and clock. The tach should be good to go now that it is set. Now I have a dedicated set button for setting the clock and one for changing the modes on the speedo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps this an option:
    http://www.ampcustomshop.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Abgar View Post
    Perhaps this an option:
    http://www.ampcustomshop.com/
    Thanks for posting. Looks interesting. The appeal to refacing the speed hut gauges was reasonable cost and the ability to use the existing wiring I have already installed. Had I thought of custom gauges from the beginning I could have proceeded differently. I think I will just leave it as is but keep this in mind for a future build.

Post Thanks / Like

kleiner license plate mod

Just looking for small task to complete while I wait on the body and paint.
    I did the famous Jeff Kleiner license plate mod. Moved the plate up about an inch by rotating the internals and drilling/riveting some new holes. I won't go into a ton of detail but if you google "kleiner ffr license plate" the step by step instructions will be there. Very easy mod and should work great when it comes time to mount the plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the gauges actually back lit? or lit from around the edges. Seems like any local sign shop could make some vinyl decals faces. There used to be a sign shop in the back of the car stereo place across the street from Waffle House on opelika road close to the mall. They used to cut custom vinyl for me 20 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepward View Post
    Are the gauges actually back lit? or lit from around the edges. Seems like any local sign shop could make some vinyl decals faces. There used to be a sign shop in the back of the car stereo place across the street from Waffle House on opelika road close to the mall. They used to cut custom vinyl for me 20 years ago.
    Speedhut gauges dial lighting is an electroluminescence panel. Not something easily duplicated. http://www.speedhut.com/faq.i#how-do...ng-system-work

Post Thanks / Like

Rear bumper couplers

Previously I had planned on just using the supplied bolts to attach the rear bumper. Since my fuel pump issue necessitated me dropping the tank I decided to go ahead and use the couplers so I won't have to drop the tank again to get the bolts in. I bought 3' of 7/16" threaded rod which I cut into the needed lengths. Also got the couplers and other hardware needed. I happen to have a specialty bolt store in my small town. They have everything I need. Interestingly I told them I wanted lock washers for the backside of the coupler and they advised me there is new research that shows lock washers don't work. I found that surprising but have no reason to doubt what they are telling me. I skipped the lock washers and used a regular washer on the back as well as some blue thread lock.

Here are the couplers installed:

I decided to go ahead and mock up the bumper to make sure everything went together as expected. The bumper kit comes with some shorter spacers that go between the bumper piece and the overriders. The longer spacers came with the bolts intended to hold the quick jacks on. I decided not to use the longest provided spacer that normally goes between the inside of the body and the trunk aluminum panel. Instead I will use a bolt and washer on the inside. That way it can be adjusted to the appropriate position for best body fit. I did add a neoprene washer to this setup that will go on the outside of the body against the painted surface.

Since the threaded rod threads into the coupler you need to drill out the threads in the overriders. I did not realize this at first and was somewhat puzzled how I was going to get this together! ha Once I learned the overriders get drilled it made a lot more sense. Then the threaded rod can slip through the holes in the overriders and you put a nut on the backside to hold it all in place. No way to get a good picture of that. Here is the bumper mocked up and how the hardware is arranged. Just keep in mind the body will be sandwiched between the nut and first spacer.

After I was happy how that went together I packed up the bumper. I will be sending the go cart to Whitby to install the body and then when it comes back I will install the bumper. I will just send this to whitby so they can attach the body in the proper position and then when it comes back remove the nuts temporarily holding the body in place and replace them with the spacers, bumper, and overriders.

Fuel pump should be back tomorrow and I look forward to some more go carting this weekend. It is supposed to be almost 70 here.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome

And your overriders are installed upside down.

Jeff

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast