Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    You're welcome

And your overriders are installed upside down.

Jeff
    Oh brother! Thanks for pointing that out. Will get that corrected when I do the final mounting.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like

pcm saga continues

Continue to try and work through my issues with the pcm. Really discouraged at this point. These computer issues I have been experiencing are very concerning to me because the corrective action is way over my head and at this point other than emailing back and forth with Ford tech support the solutions seem hard to come by. I just do not have the background, knowledge or equipment to adequately diagnose what the complete issue is. You would have to read back through my thread to see the back and forth issues I have had. Here is my latest scenario. This is a copy of the email I have in to Ford tech support. I welcome any input to the questions asked at the end if anyone has knowledge in this area. Obviously I will wait to hear from Ford before doing anything but I figure it is worthwhile to post it here and maybe it will become useful to someone in the future if they have similar troubles. My goal of hassle free operation by a modern computer controlled engine is not working out to well currently.

Email sent to Ford:
    I got my fuel pump back and installed. Car started up no problem.
    After running for a couple seconds the idle dropped and sounded rough. MIL illuminated and showed a P068A code. I researched online and read that was a common code after the pcm was flashed and if you cleared it that it would not come back. I did clear it and it has not come back.
    On the next start I just cranked it and let it idle for a minute or so. MIL illuminated again. This time a P0102 code. Looking that up indicated one of the causes could be something to do with not getting enough fuel. I looked at my fuel regulator pressure gauge and saw it was down about 45psi. While the engine was idling I reset it to 55psi. It took what I thought was a large adjustment. About 1 full revolution of the adjustment bolt. I reset the MIL again, restarted the car and cranked again and it idled ok with no MIL. Then I was doing some other stuff for a few hours.
    When I came back to the car I wanted to test drive it up and down the street for a couple times. When I cranked up after a few seconds the MIL illuminated and P0102 came up again. Turned the car off, swapped the MAF sensor because I had an extra that Mike had previously sent me and cleared the DTC. After this the car started and drove ok with no MIL. Engine operation just does not seem as smooth as previous but I have no codes indicating trouble at this time.

So my current status is no MIL illuminated. I am not real confident the code will not come back and I didn’t want to just keep trying things without consulting with you first. Please answer the following questions:

1. Before all this trouble started I had set the fuel pressure at 55. I still have no idea what caused the in tank pump to become unclamped. Does it seem strange to you that I had to adjust the fuel pressure regulator that much after it was previously set? Is it possible something else is going on in the fuel system I need to check into that could account for the different regulator pressure and the pump clamped line failing?

2. Can you give me some things to check into relating to the recurring P0102 code?
    Hopefully it will not come back but the engine just does not seem to be operating as smoothly as previously so I am skeptical.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    First, check to see how much fuel you have in the tank. If it's almost empty you could get a false fuel pressure reading. Ask me how I know

Second, I highly recommend calling/emailing Jon over at Lund Racing. IMO, he's the best in the bus right now with the 2015+ coyote motors. My experience has been excellent. They sent me a tune for my specific setup loaded in the nGuage. After it shipped he emailed me right away and said there was a bug in the stock ECU causing the tune to sometimes fail mid load. Promptly sent me an updated tune with the bug fixed and detailed instructions. Flashing was very simple, including the first step it automatically BACKS UP the stock tune in case you need to reverse it. Entire process, backup including reflashing took under 8 minutes. Once setup I asked in about adjusting the cams at idle and he gave me detailed instructions on how to data log the motor at idle and free revving. It's all done via the nGuage and logs it in excel. I just sent that over and now he's going to update the tune and get me an updated file. I have the windshield mount for the nGauge and am planning on using it only as a shift light for track days and to data log/update the tune if I run into any problems.

A few hundred bucks is worth the chance to remove the headaches you've been having.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    First, check to see how much fuel you have in the tank. If it's almost empty you could get a false fuel pressure reading. Ask me how I know

Second, I highly recommend calling/emailing Jon over at Lund Racing. IMO, he's the best in the bus right now with the 2015+ coyote motors. My experience has been excellent. They sent me a tune for my specific setup loaded in the nGuage. After it shipped he emailed me right away and said there was a bug in the stock ECU causing the tune to sometimes fail mid load. Promptly sent me an updated tune with the bug fixed and detailed instructions. Flashing was very simple, including the first step it automatically BACKS UP the stock tune in case you need to reverse it. Entire process, backup including reflashing took under 8 minutes. Once setup I asked in about adjusting the cams at idle and he gave me detailed instructions on how to data log the motor at idle and free revving. It's all done via the nGuage and logs it in excel. I just sent that over and now he's going to update the tune and get me an updated file. I have the windshield mount for the nGauge and am planning on using it only as a shift light for track days and to data log/update the tune if I run into any problems.

A few hundred bucks is worth the chance to remove the headaches you've been having.
    Thanks Duke
    I have about 3 gallons in there. Maybe I should add a couple more??
    Edwardb reminded me of the need to set that pressure gauge with the momentary pressure that occurs when you turn the pump on prior to engine running. Because of how he and I did the vacuum system to avoid the P2004 and P2005 codes that can affect the pressure value displayed with the motor running and give an inaccurate reading. I will reset that tomorrow and see how it goes.
    I still have your recommendation for Jon written down. I do appreciate the recommendation. The thing is there is nothing I am running outside the stock parameters that should give me a problem that the stock pcm cant handle. The air differences with the intake and any differences from the exhaust over stock are well within the fuel trim parameters of the pcm and it should run perfectly without the need for an aftermarket tune. I realize the stock tune will not be the optimum horsepower or performance the car is capable of but for my street driving I am fine with that. If I had track intentions I would be all over the recommended aftermarket tuner. I am hopeful I can get this worked out in stock form but will keep Jon in consideration. I had perfect operation from the original pcm for about 6 weeks before I sent it to Ford to have something else checked and that is when the trouble started. That is what is so bothersome because I know it has worked correctly before. IT is not like it has never been right.
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I'm running into tonight is that the 02 sensors are reading AFR but not trimming the fuel. I'm wondering if some anti-seize that came on them got into the element and ruined the sensors. Both 02 sensor bags that came with the kit had the inside of the bags coated with anti-seize. Ford's instructions: Each UEGO is supplied with a light coating of anti-seize lubricant on its threads. Please use caution when installing as this lubricant will damage the sensor element, so make sure no lubricant comes in contact with the sensor element (tip).. I wonder if the sensors are toast.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I'm running into tonight is that the 02 sensors are reading AFR but not trimming the fuel. I'm wondering if some anti-seize that came on them got into the element and ruined the sensors. Both 02 sensor bags that came with the kit had the inside of the bags coated with anti-seize. Ford's instructions: Each UEGO is supplied with a light coating of anti-seize lubricant on its threads. Please use caution when installing as this lubricant will damage the sensor element, so make sure no lubricant comes in contact with the sensor element (tip).. I wonder if the sensors are toast.
    Well that is another great thought. My bags were definitely as you described.

Post Thanks / Like

4 post lift

Not much to report on the pcm issues. Waiting to hear back from Ford. Anxious to get that resolved.

I have been thinking about and looking at lifts for a while. Ordered a 4 post yesterday and it should be here about February 1. I am excited to get that up and running.
    I went with the Bend Pak HD-9XW. It is long enough,wide enough and with enough lift that I can park my F-150 with the 4 door crew cab underneath it. My primary purpose of the lift is for storage allowing me to park all my cars indoors (truck has been outside since I got the Cobra) but I am sure it will be very handy for working on the Cobra and anything else I would like to do with my other vehicles. This lift has a 9000 lb capacity. Interestingly there is a chart that shows with shorter wheelbases you are limited on how much you can lift. For the 90" wheelbase Cobra that reduces you to about 42% of the rated max so about 3800lbs. That is still plenty obviously. I guess the further away the wheels are sitting from the corner posts the less weight you can load on it.

The lift has some available options. I got the drip trays that go between the ramps. They offer a very nice looking pneumatic scissor jack that goes between the ramps. I am considering that and may add that to my order before it ships next week. They also offer longer approach ramps that are made for low ride height vehicles. From the data I got I think the Cobra should work nicely with the standard ramps that are included. If not I will order the longer ramps later.

I have a main garage with a high ceiling and a high lift garage door opener that will provide ample room for the lift. My basement garage is where I keep all my tools and have been building the Cobra but it is to small for this lift. I will have to see if the lift will end up causing me to migrate all my tools upstairs. If I send the wife down to park in the basement garage I am not sure how well that will go over! haha

The lift has either a 110 or 220 motor. The lift time was about 45 seconds with the 220 and 90 with the 110. The 110 motor has a high amp draw and they recommend a 30 amp breaker. That exceeds my current garage outlets capability and since I am going to need to beef up the electrical anyways I decided to go with the 220 motor. Luckily the main power box for the house is right on the outside wall of the garage so running a 220 line and outlet should be pretty simple. I have an electrician friend coming over to help me with that.

They quoted me about $800 to install the lift. Decided that was not worth it and it would be fun to do myself. The delivery options where either pick it up at the freight terminal or have it brought to the house. If they brought it to the house you are responsible for getting it off the delivery truck yourself. The package is 17' long and about 2100 lbs. I do not have a forklift so I decided it would be best to pick it up at the freight terminal. They will load it onto your trailer there. I plan to just back the trailer with the loaded package into my garage and then use my engine hoist to pick it up off the trailer and have a couple buddies stabilize the ends to keep it from swinging. Then drive the trailer out from under it and set it down. Once I do that we can start unpacking the individual pieces. Im thinking at 2100 lbs the heaviest piece are probably the ramps and those should be maybe 400lbs each. That should be manageable with the help of friends. Pretty much everyone on my street has helped me on this project at some point along the way. We are blessed with some amazing neighbors that are always willing to help.

If anyone has experience unpacking one of these or moving the package around any tips or lessons learned are appreciated.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 01-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the 4-post. That will be a nice addition and will interested in your feedback about it. I'm still slightly on the bubble whether to put a 2 or 4-post in my new garage. My only suggestion would be take the 2000+ lb skid apart while still on the trailer and use your lift to pick off individual components. I wouldn't be too excited about trying to manhandle all the weight at once. Once you start cutting the banding and such it comes apart into more manageable pieces. That's what we did with my (much lighter!) MaxJax 2-post when it was delivered.

Was thinking about your Coyote issues. Fresh out of ideas here... Any chance a local Ford dealer or independent garage with the right equipment could hook up to the ODB-II connector and read what's happening with your engine while it's running? Even though it's not throwing any codes, perhaps they might learn something about why it's not running right. At least get things pointed in the right direction for problem solving. Just a thought.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will not be dissapointed with the lift, its the same model I have and its awesome. As far as the scissor jack, I think it is a must have for the lift. Actually I went so far as to buy both the scissor jack and the lifting jack tray which allows me to get all four tires off the ramps. I did not buy the extended ramps , I do have a car that is lower then the Cobra and (2) 2' pieces of 2x10 solves the problem. After watching your build thread assembling the lift will not be a problem. My wife and I spent about 8 hours assembling mine. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the purchase or the assmbly.

Post Thanks / Like

engine woes continue

Spent the better part of the last 3 days working with Ford tech support trying to figure out why I am getting this P0102 code indicating an issue with the MAF sensor. To long to detail all the troubleshooting steps but essentially everything they have me check comes back ok and Ford seems to be baffled as to what is causing the issue. I did find out yesterday at Fords direction the car will start and run without the MAF sensor connected. It runs really bad though!

I still suspect it is a problem with the PCM. Previously the Ford engineer that was helping me agreed with that assessment, sent me a replacement pcm and it immediately fixed the issue. Well he got promoted out of that job and his replacement is convinced it is not a pcm issue this time. I understand his logic but then again the exact same variable, conditions and results that caused the last issues are happening now. Last time a replacement pcm fixed the problem but they seem totally unwilling to try that again. Sometimes the solutions that work just don't make sense.

Last I heard yesterday evening from Ford is they are going to send me a new coyote harness and want me to completely rewire the car. The were testing my original PCM that they still have on an actual motor to see if they could replicate the fault at the end of business yesterday and once that was done the next step was to send a new harness.

I have mixed emotions on that. I told them it would take me 2 minutes to check a replacement PCM and 2 weeks to change out the harness so how about humoring me and letting me try a PCM first.
    However, I have had a couple oddities electrically since I started this. First when I received the harness my ODB plug was not working. Come to find out Ford sent a batch out with 2 wires going to the wrong position. I had to correct that and after that the OBD has worked fine. I have always wondered if the harness was incorrect there are there any other areas that are also messed up. Additionally my SCT X4 tuner has never worked properly when plugging into the OBD. I have verified the X4 works on my F150 and even went as far as to send the tuner to EdwardB for him to check on his. He had full functionality with it on his car. MY SCT X3 tuner works perfectly on the Cobra. There is some oddity causing that. Lastly, when I was initially connecting the battery I accidentally touched the wrench to the frame and the positive terminal and sent a surge through the system. Now no fuses were blown and the first 6 weeks of the car running were flawless. I have contemplated if there is possibly something going on related to that.

I am not looking forward to changing the harness as that will require some pretty major deconstruction of the go cart but if that fixes whatever the issue is that will definitely be worth it. I guess my dissatisfaction with the delay waiting on paint is working out ok now because it looks like I will have a fair amount of work to accomplish and I would much rather get everything squared away before the body is in position. That would just complicate things working around the body.

Another interesting note. The Ford engineer was having me send him pictures yesterday. When he saw the layout of the MAF sensor and air intake tube his response was "that is a horrible position for the MAF you are definitely going to need a custom tune." While he agrees the positioning is not the cause of this code I thought it was interesting he said that. There seems to be a lot of coyote powered FFRs with that exact setup running just fine without custom tunes. I agree you may not be getting maximum performance from the motor without a custom tune but thought his reaction was interesting. Will worry about that down the road I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man... For testing and troubleshooting purposes I sure as heck wouldn't do any deconstruction but simply drape the replacement harness over the chassis and plug it in. Good luck.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry you are having so much trouble Scott. I hope a solution is found quickly (and as easily as possible).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Oh man... For testing and troubleshooting purposes I sure as heck wouldn't do any deconstruction but simply drape the replacement harness over the chassis and plug it in. Good luck.

Jeff
    Well getting to the installed coyote harness to unplug it is the majority of the work and they way the coyote pigtail is wired in leaves me limited options on how to proceed. To the extent I can I will follow this advice. Thanks Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My bet, vacuum leak or the tune has the fuel trims way off causing the MAF to be very far out of normal range. My suggested trouble shooting steps:

1. Visual inspection of all vac lines. Anything not completely sealed or clamped down?
    2. Starting fluid or carb cleaner test around the intake and all other vacuum lines while running. Any change in idle?
    3. Hand pump test on each line to see if there is any leaks.

This link may be helpful. Note, if you are only getting the CEL after the engine is running it's most likely not wiring.
    http://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0102/

Post Thanks / Like
    My bet, vacuum leak or the tune has the fuel trims way off causing the MAF to be very far out of normal range. My suggested trouble shooting steps:

1. Visual inspection of all vac lines. Anything not completely sealed or clamped down?
    2. Starting fluid or carb cleaner test around the intake and all other vacuum lines while running. Any change in idle?
    3. Hand pump test on each line to see if there is any leaks.

This link may be helpful. Note, if you are only getting the CEL after the engine is running it's most likely not wiring.
    http://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0102/
    Thanks Ryan. Good info at that link.

Post Thanks / Like

here i go again...wiring

None of my previous troubleshooting has worked out. At Duke's suggestion I took another look at the vacuum system. No different results. Ford sent me the new Coyote harness so I am about to do a rewire on that. Later today I am getting another package. Ford sent me back my original PCMas well to try that again. I am going to give that another shot and then I will begin removing the drivers footbox top panels and the dash so I can access the coyote harness and replace it.
    I always read not to put the top of the drivers foot box back on until you are sure you won't need to get back in there. I thought I was safe after about 40 miles of go carting. I guess not! haha

I sure hope this fixes the issue. It is going to be pretty disappointing to swap the entire harness and find out that wasn't the problem! When I first got the original harness some of the wires were in the wrong position in the OBD plug. I corrected that but have always wondered if that was wrong what else might be wrong on the harness. Hopefully this new harness will be the fix for the mystery issue!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry you have to go through the wiring again. Glad Ford stepped up to help solve the problem. Hopefully it will be faster the second time around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry you have to go through the wiring again. Glad Ford stepped up to help solve the problem. Hopefully it will be faster the second time around.
    x2 (big time!) on each of Duke's comments.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought.....have you checked to make sure you didn't install the MAF sensor in backwards?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Just a thought.....have you checked to make sure you didn't install the MAF sensor in backwards?
    Ha yes about 7 times. Ford tech support didn't believe me so they had me take a picture of it and its orientation! Appreciate the thought though.

Post Thanks / Like

Success!!

I performed the harness swap last night and today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Took about 6 hours of work. I found it was much easier just to replicate what I had previously done vs having to think it all through the first time. As usual Paul (edwardb) was very helpful with my questions. I was very pleased to be able to get the old harness out and the new one in without having to remove the dash. Here is the carcass of the old one:

I was pretty nervous when it came time to crank up. First thing I did was plug in my handheld tuner. I have an SCT X3 from a previous car that is a little older and a new X4. The X4 has never previously worked while the X3 has always worked great on the Cobra. The X4 has always worked fine on my F150 so I knew it was a Cobra issue. I decided prior to starting I would try out the X4. Well guess what it worked flawlessly! That was a first and a good sign. After that I cranked up and the car ran fine. Took about 30 seconds to stabilize but after that it returned to its previous smooth operation. Ford had told me no DTC codes would show up if there were any until the second start cycle. After it idled for about a minute I shut it down and went ahead with the second start cycle. Still ran great. I got it off the jack stands and went on about a 5 mile spin around the neighborhood. It is running great and no DTCs. I am optimistic it will be good to go now.

I will be sending the original harness to Ford for them to look at and see if they can tell what the issue was. I will be very interested to hear. Either the harness was bad from the beginning or I screwed something up on the install.

A couple things:
    1. That harness came with some incorrect wiring that Ford had to guide me on how to fix. If that was wrong maybe something else was as well.
    2. Prior to first power up when I was connecting the battery I had an accidental power surge when the wrench touched the frame. That very well could have fried something and been my fault all along. It is funny how everything worked perfect for about 6 weeks/50 miles before I had any issues. Hard to explain the set of circumstances that occurred.

Not sure I will ever know the results. I am quite happy to hopefully have all those electrical issues behind me for good!

Another exciting piece of news. I heard from Whitby yesterday and he indicated I should have my go cart there at the end of February for body install. I am optimistic that timetable will hold up and I can get to the final stages of the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Glad to see you got this all figured out. Seeing the issues you were having almost made me slightly hesitant to order my Coyote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoo Hoo!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterfubar View Post
    Nice. Glad to see you got this all figured out. Seeing the issues you were having almost made me slightly hesitant to order my Coyote.
    I would not hesitate. Either my harness was bad which I would assume is extremely rare or I screwed something up. Ford tech support has been extremely helpful. At least I have confidence if I do have further issues of any kind I can get good help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Scott! Persistence is ever powerful! Enjoy, Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! I have a little bit of an idea how frustrating and discouraging this was. Way to hang it there and wrestle in down. Would be really interesting to find out what about the harness caused the issues. Very strange, but obviously that was the problem.

Too bad Ford wants that harness back. I would have "accidentally" run over it a few times and it wouldn't look nearly so good as it does in your pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Congratulations! I have a little bit of an idea how frustrating and discouraging this was. Way to hang it there and wrestle in down. Would be really interesting to find out what about the harness caused the issues. Very strange, but obviously that was the problem.

Too bad Ford wants that harness back. I would have "accidentally" run over it a few times and it wouldn't look nearly so good as it does in your pictures.
    Being the pack rat I am I was hoping to keep it for spare parts! Maybe I will drag my feet sending it back and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes!
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had another test drive today and everything is working great. Looking good like my issue is resolved.
    Now I am in the process of getting my parts together to send to Whitby with the go cart. Pretty exciting going through the boxes and realizing how little I have left to do. Cant wait to get that body installed.
    Not much time to work on the car in the near future. I have a family vacation starting tomorrow and then when I get back my 4 post lift should be here. Look forward to putting that together.

Then I will have a couple projects before I ship the car off.
    My list contains:
    Make and install a radiator protector
    Swap my fighter stick out for the regular stick because I don't want the stick leaving my possession.
    Take the seats out
    Install the rest of the weatherstrip/bulb seal

Really not to much left. Today as I was coming home from my test ride my neighbor had a mobile "wheel doctor" at his house repairing his rims that had suffered some curb scrapes. The guy came over to check out the Cobra. The finish of the wheel knock offs has really been bothering me. I asked him what he could do and he took them to polish them up and he is going to color match the inset part of the spinner with the gray of the wheels. I think it should look really nice. The wheel color is very close to the color of my car so it should work out nicely. Will post a picture when I get them back next week.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Hope I don't have to go through any of that but good to know Ford offers support if I do.
    Can't wait to see all put together.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the fix. Sucks you have to send it back to Ford. Will they update you if they find anything wrong with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M3ichael View Post
    Congratulations on the fix. Sucks you have to send it back to Ford. Will they update you if they find anything wrong with it?
    Not sure if I will ever hear. The harness has something wrong with it so it has no real value to me. Ford is paying for the shipping. The spare PCM though. That has some value to me....

Post Thanks / Like

knock offs / Air intake

I mentioned last week I had found a guy to polish the knock offs and paint the little indentions on the spinner arms to match the wheel color. I was really disappointed with the finish they came with. He brought them back to me today. The change is really subtle and the lighting was not great for a picture but I am happy with how they look. Has a little more of a finished look to them. Nobody but me will probably notice them but once I notice a fault I cant stop looking at it! This small upgrade will keep me from being bothered by them! haha

When I was going through all my pcm/maf issues fellow forum member Duke was very helpful with some suggestions. Included in our discussions was some data logging he had done for his custom tune and the data indicated when his engine fan kicked on it was disturbing the airflow going into the intake. He installed a Spectre performance air filter heat shield to remedy that. I liked the idea and thought I would do the same. Now I have no idea if this will benefit me in any way running the stock tune but I figure worst case it can not hurt anything so I wanted to give it a try.

I ordered the specter performance 8130.
    Here it is:

As with anything on the Cobra it is a tight fit. I had to modify it a bit to fit around the X brace running up below the filter. I have never had the hood hinge in place yet. I believe I have the filter angled down enough not to cause a space conflict. It is possible it will need to go lower in which case I will have to further modify this part.

Here it is installed. Did a quick test run up and down the street with no issues.

Just got word my 4 post lift has arrived at the freight terminal so me and a buddy are about to go pick it up. Very excited for that. Curiously if you had them deliver it you had to get the 2400 lb package off the truck by yourself. If you pick it up they will load it on your trailer for you. That is the best option so here we go. Will be interested to see how heavy the individual pieces are!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    spinners look nice, something I have to deal with soon. thanks.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

Nice decision on the spinners; really completes the look.

I hope everything with the lift goes well, and it gets installed without issue.

Also, so pleased that the mysterious engine problem has been resolved. I don't imagine replacing the harness was a job to relish, but very happy it resolved your problem!

Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by WIS89; 02-03-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lift install Day 1

Well all I have to say is this lift has some HEAVY parts to it!
    Started off yesterday going to the freight terminal to pick it up. Took them maneuvering 2 forklifts to get it on the trailer. That was quite a process in itself.

I guess the freight terminal did not have one of those giant forklift with the long arms that this crate was designed for. After we got it home just breaking down the package was a chore. Ended up picking up the heaviest piece with the engine crane and getting it to the ground. After that 4 of us manhandled the rest of the pieces.
    Here is the pile of parts waiting for construction.

Got the four corner posts erected and the cross tubes. The cross tubes were really heavy and getting them up to the top of the posts that are about 10' tall and lowering them down was a three man job.(I got the extra wide, extra high lift so I can park my truck under it. The short ladder in the pic is 6')
    Here is where is sits now. Had to do a couple steps over. The directions are pretty crappy.

Now I am up to installing the ramps. They are extremely heavy. Gonna need to recruit some more neighbors tomorrow. Hopefully with some help I can get this thing completed this weekend. Lucky that I have some great neighbors always willing to lend a hand!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are buying the lift when you car is 98% done? You must be making room for your next project. Gen III Coupe? 33? Can't wait to watch the next wareagle episode?
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    You are buying the lift when you car is 98% done? You must be making room for your next project. Gen III Coupe? 33? Can't wait to watch the next wareagle episode?
    I am primarily buying the lift for storage. Currently I have 1 more car than I have garage spaces and my truck has been living outside since the cobra showed up. I got the extra long and high lift so my truck will fit under it. That is what I am currently telling my wife. (She is very supportive though).
    ...however the truck being outside isn't so bad and now my workshop garage could be empty with room for a project

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I am primarily buying the lift for storage. Currently I have 1 more car than I have garage spaces and my truck has been living outside since the cobra showed up. I got the extra long and high lift so my truck will fit under it. That is what I am currently telling my wife. (She is very supportive though).
    ...however the truck being outside isn't so bad and now my workshop garage could be empty with room for a project
    Shhhhhhhh > You're tipping your hand War Eagle! > Shhhhhhhh

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast