Out of Sight Audio

Visit our community sponsor

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    What is the red stripe made from?
    The wheel cover is all leather, including the red stripe.
    I'm just glad that I can grip it well because of my mishap that occurred this past April.
    It is why I was looking to change the wheel when my kids found it in my "Amazon Wish List!"

Quote Originally Posted by mach'er View Post
    That is one seriously clean looking garage! What a nice space.

What's the ceiling height in there?
    About 14'
    I am blessed with a second basement garage that is 1 car wide but 2 deep. All my clutter lives in that one so I can keep the upstairs one looking nice.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottscobra

Sema

Made the back cover of the Ford Performance catalog they are giving out at SEMA.
    If anyone happens to be there and can get me a couple I will happily pay you for shipping!

In other news it is 68 degrees and sunny here today and I am heading out for a ride. Should pass 3000 miles in the next couple days and everything is running beautifully. Really felt like I would have more maintaining to do when I went into this project. Really feeling ready to build a Gen 3 coupe but I have zero desire to get rid of the Cobra and cant justify two completely impractical cars!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Really feeling ready to build a Gen 3 coupe but I have zero desire to get rid of the Cobra and cant justify two completely impractical cars!
    Hey, I resemble that remark... I sold the Gen 3 Coupe on the home front as a "practical" car. After all, it does have a top, real doors, and will have heat and A/C, etc. What more could you ask for?

Congrats on getting your Roadster on the Ford Performance catalog. Very cool.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread
    Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Delivered 12/2/2017. #59 Coupe Build Thread

Really feeling ready to build a Gen 3 coupe but I have zero desire to get rid of the Cobra and cant justify two completely impractical cars!
    Says the guy who ordered a Porsche! Ha, that 911 has 4 seats. Practically a grocery getter. You bought a lift to build cars and then to store more cars. Not fooling anyone.

-Steve
    MK IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build

Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Says the guy who ordered a Porsche! Ha, that 911 has 4 seats. Practically a grocery getter. You bought a lift to build cars and then to store more cars. Not fooling anyone.

-Steve
    The Porsche I can drive 90 miles each way to work! It is completely practical. lol
    I must hold out a couple years before ordering the Coupe!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post

-Steve
    What he said!!!
    Jazzman
    MKIV "Flip Top" Roadster Ordered 7/30/15. Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, IRS w. 3.55 final, 18" Hallibrands, dual rollbars, custom Zebrawood Dash
    Delivered 11/25/15, First Start 12/24/16, First Go Cart, 1/6/17, Licensed and Legal 11/20/17. | Build Thread | Frame Dolly Plan

Gentleman, I am late to the party. I am loving reading your build threads but am running out of time. I am only partly through a couple of your builds. I am flying to Wareham this Wednesday to order my dream. I would love some quick input on likes and dislikes. I am planning on a complete kit, irs, wilwood all around, coyote + tko from Forte, Kirkey high backs, dual roll bars. Building it to drive and enjoy more than show. I am posting here because the names in the comments are the threads I’m reading. I live in Indiana and am considering full top and heater. Plan is to black out everything with powdercoat. I’m looking at Boig pipes, mid mount shifter, firewall forward, door panels, etc. Particularly I’m interested in opinions on power steering, brakes, clutch vs manual. Also would like to have a glove box but need the heater. I am just starting to post after joining and am not able to start my own threads yet. Sorry for the Shanghai but need the input. What is best to order from FFR and what from elsewhere. My plan is to pound it out this winter and be driving it next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhunter View Post
    Gentleman, I am late to the party. I am loving reading your build threads but am running out of time. I am only partly through a couple of your builds. I am flying to Wareham this Wednesday to order my dream. I would love some quick input on likes and dislikes. I am planning on a complete kit, irs, wilwood all around, coyote + tko from Forte, Kirkey high backs, dual roll bars. Building it to drive and enjoy more than show. I am posting here because the names in the comments are the threads Iím reading. I live in Indiana and am considering full top and heater. Plan is to black out everything with powdercoat. Iím looking at Boig pipes, mid mount shifter, firewall forward, door panels, etc. Particularly Iím interested in opinions on power steering, brakes, clutch vs manual. Also would like to have a glove box but need the heater. I am just starting to post after joining and am not able to start my own threads yet. Sorry for the Shanghai but need the input. What is best to order from FFR and what from elsewhere. My plan is to pound it out this winter and be driving it next summer.
    Your plans sound great so far. If you are planning on a quick build, keep in mind that all of the "small" modifications can add a lot of time to your build.

I'm very tall and have long arms so I like mid shifter. Feels good to me. It does put the shift lever close to your dash so look at photos of various builds to see if that is what you want/need. Cup holders, fire extinguisher, etc.

I ordered a heater and did not use it (listed in the parts for sale forum if you want one). If you are going with a top, it is a good idea.

I have not seen a firewall forward with a Coyote and heater. There looks like there is room but I can't comment. AL-C is installing a Coyote and heater, no firewall fwd.

I assume you are considering the fwd firewall for a full depth glove box. If you want the glove box look but don't care if it is 4" deep or 2 1/2" deep there are other options. If you order the new pre padded FFR dash it comes with a deep glove box. It would not be too difficult to cut the plastic glove box and modify it to be shallow. You can buy the aluminum FFR street dash and order a deep or shallow glove box from Alex's Custom Roadster Interiors or make your own glove box. Several options with different time commitments.

There are many builds where guys have modified their heaters for more room, for better aesthetics, to not draw air in from the engine compartment, etc. Many discussions to read. Keep your build schedule in mind with these choices.

With the Wilwoods, it think the consensus is you will be fine, no power required. Power steering is highly recommended. I ordered a PS kit from FFR. Ended up selling it because I wanted to use braided stainless hoses and found FFR's difficult to work with. Breeze has kits with everything you need.

I went with a hydraulic clutch based on Mike Forte's recommendations and am very happy but don't have anything to compare with.

Good luck and enjoy.
    -Steve
    MK IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build

Scott, I was just checking on a Speedhut part and noticed they have aviator bezels for our gauges. Thought they would look nice with that stick you have for a shifter. Jim
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Cobra Colorist. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017

Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Scott, I was just checking on a Speedhut part and noticed they have aviator bezels for our gauges. Thought they would look nice with that stick you have for a shifter. Jim
    Dang it Jim!!!! I thought I was done spending money on this car. Trying to save for the next one. haha
    Will check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Gentleman, I am late to the party. I am loving reading your build threads but am running out of time. I am only partly through a couple of your builds. I am flying to Wareham this Wednesday to order my dream. I would love some quick input on likes and dislikes. I am planning on a complete kit, irs, wilwood all around, coyote + tko from Forte, Kirkey high backs, dual roll bars. Building it to drive and enjoy more than show. I am posting here because the names in the comments are the threads I’m reading. I live in Indiana and am considering full top and heater. Plan is to black out everything with powdercoat. I’m looking at Boig pipes, mid mount shifter, firewall forward, door panels, etc. Particularly I’m interested in opinions on power steering, brakes, clutch vs manual. Also would like to have a glove box but need the heater. I am just starting to post after joining and am not able to start my own threads yet. Sorry for the Shanghai but need the input. What is best to order from FFR and what from elsewhere. My plan is to pound it out this winter and be driving it next summer.
    Sent you a PM

I built a similar project in 2012, and had the same intentions as yours. Yeah, it'll be a driver more than for show. Every time you're at the gas pumps it's a car show. Take the time during the build to focus on detail and you can have both. I've got over 20,000 miles on mine. Love driving....love showing.
    The Wilwoods will stop you plenty fast enough with minimal effort. Power assist in this application is overkill and adds clutter to the engine bay. The firewall forward kits from 3rd party vendors are not designed as a straight "bolt on" with the Coyote drivers side footbox. You will need to mod the piece to fit.
    I too wanted a glove box and heater. There isn't room for both unless you modify the heater location. There are easy mods to push the heater core/fan away from the firewall and provide the room required for the glove box. I opted for the heater only. I have the door panels. There is ample storage in these for small thjngs. If you are installing panels, the glove box is aesthetic...IMO..
    I don't have power steering and have never had an instance where I wish I had it. The wheels on this 2,300 pound car are easy to turn when the car is standing still. A breeze while it's moving. No PS helps to keep the engine bay free of clutter.
    I opted for the manual clutch. More for cost than anything. The cable is supplied with the complete kit and after I had bought other components I was feeling $100-to-death with the extras. NO issues with manual.
    I do have the premium top from FFR (Rod Tops) and absolutely love it. You'll never see any negative comment from an owner of these tops. It's a must if you plan to tour. I purchased the premium top because I didn't want to have push buttons along the back on the cockpit.
    I must recommend you purchase the Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers to go with the Coyote. A must have.

Yours schedule is agressive but not impossible. All depends when you take delivery, how much free time you have and your experience. It's not hard to put together. There's a couple of steps you want to have a clear head while completing. You don't need any special
    skills. Good luck in Wareham

Thank you for the responses, here and pm’s. Going to be some tough decisions next week. After much reading here it seems the consensus is the heater isn’t worth the effort. That was the reasoning for the forward dash. I love the look of your door panels and that is plenty of storage without the glove box. Can one of you pm me and explain the build mentor please. Also, is there a listing of owners/builders by location somewhere on here?

Not a waxer
    sbhunter,
    Welcome from another Indiana guy! I'm about an hour south of Indy in Bloomington. Besides my own there are 4 other FFR roadsters in town; 2 that I built, one purchased completed from out of state and another that's in process. I know several owners around the state including a couple in the Indy area. I've built & painted a bunch of these cars---give me a shout or PM if you'd like to chat sometime.

Jeff

PM sent.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread
    Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Delivered 12/2/2017. #59 Coupe Build Thread

3300 mile update

Not much of an update. Hit 3300 miles the other day. Everything continues to operate wonderfully. Extremely pleased with the reliability of the Coyote setup. Just crank up and go every time no problem.

Had a cool experience yesterday. There is a property out in the country I pass on my rides that has a bunch of old signs and buildings with some old gas pumps. I have been wanting to take some pictures out there and finally decided to leave a note in the owners mailbox asking if I could come out. He called me back the same day and invited me out. Very nice man. Lives on 170 acres. He is 74 years old and has lived there for 73 years. This particular portion of his property he had purchased a bunch of old buildings and had them moved there. He had an amazing sign and antique collection. He gave me a nice tour and left me at it to take some pictures. The building I am parked in front of was a store built in 1900. The interior is amazing. Pretty much set up like it would have been back in the day. He enjoyed seeing the Cobra as well. He had never heard of Factory Five and really enjoyed looking at it. I am really pleased the car has opened a door to make a new friend and see some very cool things I otherwise would have never seen.

Here are a couple pictures:

Now that is too cool. Amazing petroliana collection. I am amazed at the great friends I've made, people I've met, and places I have been to because of a simple interest in sports cars. Good times!

Seeing things like this really makes me wonder where my car is going to take me. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing Scott.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    Plan: 427W-X, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear. Delivered Feb 2017, first start Oct 22, 2017

Great photos! Really nice story of the property and the gentleman you met. Thanks!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Thanks y'all. My thread has deviated from an actual build thread at this point to more of a blog posting! Not really the intent of this section but hopefully it is ok.

There are all kinds of good spots for photos in front of those buildings! It would be hard to choose where to park the car.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Scott,

Looks like the War Eagle fly high in the Iron Bowl yesterday!! Congrats it was a great game.

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Vette1972 View Post
    Scott,

Looks like the War Eagle fly high in the Iron Bowl yesterday!! Congrats it was a great game.

Len
    Thanks Len
    We had a blast at the game.

Nice car Scotty and a real nice build blog, I'm doing the planning and parts acquisition for my 2nd build so I'll be using this for reference. I do have one question for you right now.
    How "waterproof" are your seat heaters? The reason I ask is I originally had the roadster seats in my MK2 but one track day and I called Wareham and ordered the high backs since I was using as much energy holding myself in the seat as I was driving the course. I was pleasantly surprised how comfy the kirkeys were and they really kept me planted but an unintended consequence was that when I got caught in the rain they would fill right up with water. I drilled a couple of drain holes in them and that helped a bit. I just felt that maybe you should be aware of this because you've installed the heaters.
    Again, nice car and great blog

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty's65 View Post
    Nice car Scotty and a real nice build blog, I'm doing the planning and parts acquisition for my 2nd build so I'll be using this for reference. I do have one question for you right now.
    How "waterproof" are your seat heaters? The reason I ask is I originally had the roadster seats in my MK2 but one track day and I called Wareham and ordered the high backs since I was using as much energy holding myself in the seat as I was driving the course. I was pleasantly surprised how comfy the kirkeys were and they really kept me planted but an unintended consequence was that when I got caught in the rain they would fill right up with water. I drilled a couple of drain holes in them and that helped a bit. I just felt that maybe you should be aware of this because you've installed the heaters.
    Again, nice car and great blog

Scott
    Thank you. Well they are listed as waterproof for whatever that is worth. I am very conservative on what weather I drive the car in. People say never say never but I can tell you I will never get caught in a heavy rain so I am not to concerned about it. If there is any possibility of rain the car does not come out.

Well this is my first post!! As you can see by my screen name I haven't ordered my kit YET!! Great job on your build and doing the thread for other newbs to realize the work involved! I will be lurking around and hitting you guys up for answers from time to time. I look forward to joining the club!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718