Likes Likes:  27
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, your Roadster looks great. Really like how the colors all came together. For someone who hadn't done anything like this before, congratulations for taking on a pretty complex build and working through some tough issues. Not that you want to reminisce about that defective Coyote harness too much... You're going to love how your car runs and drives. Approaching 100 miles on mine after another drive today. The Coyote, TKO, new IRS, big Wilwood brakes, BFG Rival S tires, power steering, etc. all work together for a fantastic ride.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

little more today

I had ordered an oil cooler mesh grill from breeze. That came in yesterday. Painted it to match body color and installed it today.

Last night we had a photoshoot scheduled with my photographer friend. She wanted to take some shots with me doing moderate speed drive bys. Made about 10 passes. This was the most I have run the car to date and the most heat in the engine. When I pulled back into the garage I realized I was leaving a drip trail of what appeared to be oil. I freaked out of course. Turns out I just made another rookie mistake. I had to much power steering fluid in the reservoir. This is the first time it had gotten hot and vented overboard. I used the provided FFR reservoir. It did not have a fill to line inside that I could see. I initially filled it to within about 1-1.5" from the top.
    Here is the vent hole in the top:

It made quite a mess but I felt lucky it was nothing serious. Here is the resulting level now.

That thing is pretty tall and narrow so I guess an inch from the top was just to much. If you are using this reservoir be careful on the level.

We did manage to get some great pictures. I will post more when I do a graduation thread. I like this one. A friend asked me about my sunglasses. My dad saved everything! To go with his fighter control stick from 1968 those are also his Air Force sunglasses from the same time. I enjoy having those to drive my 60s replica car. Car may not be 50 years old but the shifter and glasses are! haha
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    You Look So Unhappy With The End Result!

Now Go Drive That Fantastic MK-4 Some More!

Post Thanks / Like
    I see one minor problem with your beautiful build.

It's obviously a beautiful build, your obviously very proud and deserve it

Here is the problem as I see it... if you drive it with that big smile on your face I suspect your going to catch a bug or suffer from dry mouth. It's a problem I'm not sure how to fix.

Congratulations on a build well done
    Chris aka Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done, Scott. That is one sharp unique ride.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the opportunity to make a trip over to see Scotts completed build in person today and it is beautiful. Exceptional work, especially for a first build.
    I also want to take the time to publicly thank him for all of documentation he has put into this thread, the additional texts exchanges we have had and his willing ness to let a complete strager come to his house several month ago to see his in progress build so that I could really make the decision on if I wanted to take on a project like this.
    As a fellow first time builder and automotive novice, your build has been immensely helpful.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic! Awesome work Scott! Thanks again for all the posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone and good seeing you Joel. Look forward to seeing your completed build in the future.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I was going to wait to say this until you did a formal graduation but can't wait---fantastic job, big, BIG congratulations! Enjoy the ride my friend

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Great Job! Really nice details, Enjoy.

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking car, awesome job! Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like

Graduation pics

I did a graduation thread on the general forum but thought I'd add the pictures to this thread as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hindsight is 20/20

HIndsight is 20/20

I cant remember who said it but one of my friends here told me “you don’t know what you don’t know.” Going into this build there was a ton of stuff I did not know! When I was in the research phase one of the questions I posted was what did people wish they had done differently or wish they would have known going in? I got a lot of good information from that thread. In the hope that someone will find my thread as useful as I found others I am compiling a list of rookie mistakes, lessons learned and wish I would have knowns. Hopefully this will prove beneficial to other first time builders. Some of this will be really basic but as a rookie it may be helpful.

Here we go:

Post 4 - frame cart - have a plan for how you will get the frame off the frame cart and onto the ground when the time comes. Had my jack stands not extended high enough to lift the frame clear of the cart I am not sure how I would have got the cart out.

#7 - attaching brake hats to rotors - notice the torque specification is inch/lbs and not foot/lbs. Shout out to Jazzman for learning this one the hard way so I didn’t have to!

#35 - I spent a lot of time documenting how the aluminum panels came off. Turns out by the time you drill them and take them on and off you become pretty familiar with the layout and they really go back in pretty easily. Really all you need to pay attention to is how they overlap one another.
    Also I predrilled almost all my panels as they came off. This worked great. Only problem I encountered was after I drilled the trunk floor I decided I might like to have the deeper trunk box. Problem was I had already drilled the holes in the cross braces that would have been exposed. I wasn’t willing to look at the holes so that canceled that mod. Think about that before drilling!
    Oh and clecos! BUY SOME CLECOS. Work great.

#51 - used EdwardBs suggestion to put rivnuts in the F panels so when the front splash guards were installed they would be easily removable if needed. Problem I encountered was when I went to install them I had to trim the splash guards to fit into the space. This killed the alignment of my predrilled holes for the rivnuts. Need to account for potential panel trimming if you do this.

#66 - changing the rear wheel studs - I was struggling getting them in and out. Bought a pneumatic impact driver and the job was done in 5 minutes.

#85 - I used a heat shield product you cut to size and adhere to the panel. It is a lot easier to adhere the pieces to the footbox panels before installing the panels. Tough to work inside the footbox once they are installed. Also on the drivers footbox I would have installed the carpet that goes on the inside wall and behind the pedals had I known how difficult it was going to be getting the carpet in once the pedals where in place.
    Oh and if you are working with a big piece and you need more than two hands to help align it and keep it from sticking before you want it to I DO NOT recommend trying to hold the extra in your mouth! Even just for a second! Lets just say some skin from my inner lip is now included in the build.

#87 - installed the pedal box for the first time. Ended up having to completely take it out to mount the Coyote clutch position switches. If you are using the hydraulic clutch setup you will have to fabricate something for 1 of the 2 switches. Might as well have that done the first time you put the pedal box in.

#108 - rear sway bar and IRS - if you are using this the sway bar comes with longer bolts for mounting the brackets along with the toe adjustment arms. Use the longer bolts the first time you install the toe arms.

#116 - big rookie mistake! - I had the newer style radiator. The build manual only has pictures of the older radiator so I could not compare. I put mine in upside down and didn’t realize it until much later. Be sure you radiator outlets are pointing in the proper direction.

#128 - TKO 600 is shipped with a rubber plug inserted where you would hook up the speedo cable. Since most of us are now using GPS speedos you need to purchase a more permanent plug for that hole. Get this installed before you add fluid.

#152 - brake lines - I figured I just needed to use what was in the kit. The lines at the rear where much longer than I needed. I ended up with a somewhat longer routing than was optimal. Had I known I could have just gone to the local auto store and buy shorter ones I would have done that.

#157 - engine install - I did not have my adjustable crane arm extended all the way out. Didn’t realize I would need full extension until the motor was about 80% of the way in. Had to pull it back and start over after setting the engine down and adjusting. If you are coming at it from the front you will need your arm to be pretty long.

#166 - Ebrake cable mod - do this before you put the transmission in. Trying to remove the handle mount bracket with the transmission in place was miserable!

#170 - trans fluid - the drain plug on my transmission is so tight and the space to access it so limited I can not get the leverage to make it budge. Wish I would have unscrewed it once and put it back in before putting the transmission in the car, I will deal with that when it comes time for a fluid change.

#200 - the lines that come with the FFR coyote power steering option were no good in my opinion. Worked with Mark at Breeze and he developed a kit to replace those. If I were doing it over again I might have passed on that option and sourced it all separately.

#208 - engine ground - would have been much easier to install this to the engine prior to install. Working in the limited space under the car sitting on jack stands made this more difficult than it needed to be.

#213 - harness ground near pedal box - thought I was pretty smart routing the wires through a hole to the grounding point. Then I realized that hole was where the windshield mounted! Had to reroute.

#215 weather pack connectors - I should have left longer lengths of wires when I was attaching them at the corners to the harness. I didnt have the body available when I was doing this and some ended up to short. Caused a lot more work on the final install when I thought I would just be plugging them in. Make sure you have enough length.

#223 - dash padding- the supplied dash padding does not hide much. I made some removable mounts for the dash and they were secured by some flat headed bolts on the front side. I thought the dash pad might conform around them and look flat when I was done. It did not and I can totally see where the bolts are behind the padding. Will probably be redoing this in the future.

#243 - self alignment - I bought the tools and spent quite a bit of time on it. 1. With the IRS I found it quite difficult to get the track correct even if I had the other settings right on. 2. Ultimately Whitby had a shop they used and it wasn’t that pricey so I had it done there. When I saw the report of what my actual settings were that I thought I had done a good job on I was not nearly as close as I thought. One problem is my garage floor may not be exactly level so my starting point was off. I’m sure smarter guys than me can do a much better job at self aligning. Knowing what I know now I will just leave it to the professionals and I have spent a couple hundred on the tools.

#265 coyote vacuum system mod - it is detailed in EdwardBs link in this post. I would highly recommend taking the hose off the rear of the engine before installing the motor. Accessing the double pinch clamp holding that thing on after the engine was installed was miserable. Would be a piece of cake with the motor out of the car.

#282 - because my body work was being done with the body off the car I did the carpet before body install. That worked good. Of course you have to wait until the body is on to install the under door aluminum and last carpet pieces. The transition on those carpet pieces to the pieces it touches is not the best. I would have waited to install all those pieces at the same time for a better final fit.

#303 be aware of how the body will sit in relation to where or how you attach the removable panel on the top of the drivers footbox. I originally had rivets in a position that i would not have been able to access with the body on if I needed to get them out.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 05-16-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Valuable stuff there. I made a lift of the ones, I need to do before I forget them.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll add one to your list: find a good system that works for you on how to consolidate the knowledge you learn from the forums with the instruction manual.
    I know I've saved certain threads, but then forget about them when I'm in the garage and end up not doing the thing I had researched how to do.

And if anyone has a good system, let me know (asking for a friend)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    I'll add one to your list: find a good system that works for you on how to consolidate the knowledge you learn from the forums with the instruction manual.
    I know I've saved certain threads, but then forget about them when I'm in the garage and end up not doing the thing I had researched how to do.

And if anyone has a good system, let me know (asking for a friend)
    My suggestion there would be just go old school and print off a hard copy and insert it into the manual at the appropriate point. Pretty hard to miss that way.
    FWIW I had a few of those things I researched and had noted at a different location and failed to include the first time through!

18. Thanks Gizmosrcool thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may have missed this in a earlier post but what is the name or code of this charcoal paint color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GFX2043mtu View Post
    I may have missed this in a earlier post but what is the name or code of this charcoal paint color.
    Dark labyrinth ppg 923677

Post Thanks / Like
    #208 - engine ground - would have been much easier to install this to the engine prior to install. Working in the limited space under the car sitting on jack stands made this more difficult than it needed to be.
    Wow you're right, that was a bear. It sure would've been easier to install the ground at the time of the engine install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the paint code. I have been having a hard time deciding on the colors that I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I thought I was done...

Not sure why I thought I was done. Although the car is technically completed (still waiting on the state to process my paperwork) it hasn't taken me long to come up with some small improvements I would like to make.

The first one is the area where two carpet pieces come together over the under door aluminum panels. I did the bulk of my carpet beforehand and just added the under door aluminum and the covering carpet at the end. I was not real pleased how it came together with the piece that was coming up the sidewall by the seat below it. I could pretty clearly see the edges of the two pieces when looking across the car. Also I had concerns about how well this would hold up with people getting in and out.
    I went down to Home depot and got some aluminum and made some trim pieces. Here they are cut and bent. I was debating covering them in leather but decided to just go ahead and powder coat them black. I think that should hold up well and will look better.

Here is the piece bent and also one with it laying in position. Will post more when I get them back from powder coat. Plan to attach them with a couple black rivets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome build! You managed to kill my weekend and 2 mornings at work with the reading of the build thread. Thank you for compiling your thoughts at the end. This will be very helpful. Just a couple of things.

On the alignment: I see you decided to punt to the pros. Don't! Stick with it! Learn to use strings and you won't be sorry. Use your downtime now to fabricate 4 adjustable platforms for a perfectly flat setup. Bonus points if you leave accommodations in for scales down the road. Your lift is the perfect jumping off point since it has those central jacks, everything will go really fast. If you ever want to take your car to the track, it will be invaluable to cornerweight it and adjust the alignment. It makes a huge difference. Also, when all of the tie rod ends start to go bad in a few years, upon replacement, you can do the alignment yourself.

Lastly, you had concerns before about not having power brakes. How did they turn out? Are you glad with the setup or do you wish there was more braking power? I'm considering no power anything for weight savings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceMattC View Post
    Awesome build! You managed to kill my weekend and 2 mornings at work with the reading of the build thread. Thank you for compiling your thoughts at the end. This will be very helpful. Just a couple of things.

On the alignment: I see you decided to punt to the pros. Don't! Stick with it! Learn to use strings and you won't be sorry. Use your downtime now to fabricate 4 adjustable platforms for a perfectly flat setup. Bonus points if you leave accommodations in for scales down the road. Your lift is the perfect jumping off point since it has those central jacks, everything will go really fast. If you ever want to take your car to the track, it will be invaluable to cornerweight it and adjust the alignment. It makes a huge difference. Also, when all of the tie rod ends start to go bad in a few years, upon replacement, you can do the alignment yourself.

Lastly, you had concerns before about not having power brakes. How did they turn out? Are you glad with the setup or do you wish there was more braking power? I'm considering no power anything for weight savings.
    Thanks!
    On the brakes it is still to be determined. As I am still waiting on the state to process my paperwork my 90 or so test miles has been all within my neighborhood. I still need to bed the pads. Tried it in my neighborhood one morning but after about the 2nd run to 60 I decided it was not the place and just plain stupid to be going that fast in a residential spot! That is one of my first priorities once I get on the road. From what I can tell they seem like they will be perfectly acceptable. Had a buddy that races and also has an MK3 try them out. He said they felt good to him. Another issue is I have never driven a car with manual brakes so I don't have a frame of reference as to what is normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, keep us updated!

The jury is still out for me too. The only cars I've driven without power brakes are a 65 Mustang (woof, terrible) and a 850 lb Formula Ford (excellent). So my data points are basically useless.

Post Thanks / Like

kirkey seat backs

I was a little dissatisfied with the unfinished look from behind of the Kirkey high back seats.

I have seen some people paint them. I decided to go in a little different direction.
    I ordered some of this.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Basically a sheet of abs plastic. Got 2 of them. One for each seat.

Then I cut them to fit under the seat cover edges. Didn't have to be super accurate as I had a couple inches margin to play with. I cut out the holes for the shoulder harnesses and then sliced down the middle of some small diameter vacuum tubing to wrap the edges. On the side that was not visible I used some silicone to help secure the vacuum tubing.

After that I used some 3M double sided tape I had leftover from attaching my exterior badges to secure it in place. Once the cover is pulled over that also helps hold it in position.

Here is the finished look with the seat back in the car. Really pleased how it looks. Your eye is no longer drawn to the unfinished look of the seat back and cover.

Not sure I will ever end this build thread. I like doing it and will continue to update as I make future modifications or enhancements to the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

The seats look great! Another nice touch on your amazing build. Just a super job for a first time builder, as you have pointed out.

I have a 1972 Corvette with manual steering and brakes. Much heavier than a FF5, I like the feel of both. The feel I get from the road is so solid that it makes cornering the car easy. You only notice the hard steering when parking.

The brakes have always been solid stopping power for me. An old school mechanic helped me get the brakes bled when I bought the car many years ago. He used gravity to initially get air out of the system before we pumped the brake pedal. Once we had solid fluid at each wheel then we pumped them up. Always has worked for me.

Enjoy the super nice car you have built!

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like

seat heater failure/ meatballs

My drivers side seat heater stopped working. The way they were integrated into the kirkey seats makes them tough to access. TO properly troubleshoot I ended up taking them both out of the car. Figured out the power supply was fine. After lots of troubleshooting I determined the failure was in this section of the wiring. I did try changing the relay. That did not work. Everything else looked intact and in good condition. I guess I am just jinxed on wiring harnesses after the coyote one and now this. Emailed the manufacturer and they are sending me a new one.

During the build I ordered some meatballs from finish line that I can take on and off. Still letting the paint cure before I put them on. I don't have intentions of leaving them on all the time but thought I might occasionally just for fun. Layed them on the car just to get a feel for what they would look like. I didn't smooth them down or anything. Not sure how I like the look. I think the positioning that would be optimal would require me to cut them to straddle the hood and or door openings. Right now I am 50/50 on if I will ever actually get them on the car.

Curious what others think of the look?

Oh and in the corner of the last pic you can see the bumper of my buddies military surplus hummer he bought. We had some fun getting pictures of the cars together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,
    Just as food for thought here's where mine are:

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Exciting news today. I heard from the state inspector and my VIN application has been approved and processed. Next Wednesday I am set up to trailer it down to Montgomery (About 50 miles from here) for inspection and he will install the VIN plate on the chassis. Once that is done and he submits the documents we sign at the time of inspection I can then go to get the license plate. Hopefully next Thursday of Friday.
    I may actually be able to go on a real drive next weekend!! Very pumped about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

Congratulations on the VIN, and soon to be executed license plates!! That has to feel pretty darned good.

Not sure I like the meatballs on your car frankly. In general I am a fan of meatballs on most of these cars. There are some that just look better without them, and yours is one in my opinion. I am not sure if it is the larger center stripe, or the colors, or the comparatively white open space on the meatball. However, I just don't like the look on your car. Your car looks really nice without the distraction of the meatball.

Have you considered a couple of the other decals; NGK, Castrol, etc.(Finish Line sells a pack of them)? I think maybe the smaller decals with less open space, and different colors might be the ticket if you are looking for something to add some interest to the car. Or, just leave it be with no decals. The car looks awesome as she sits!

Just my opinion Scott!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Scott-

Congratulations on the VIN, and soon to be executed license plates!! That has to feel pretty darned good.

Not sure I like the meatballs on your car frankly. In general I am a fan of meatballs on most of these cars. There are some that just look better without them, and yours is one in my opinion. I am not sure if it is the larger center stripe, or the colors, or the comparatively white open space on the meatball. However, I just don't like the look on your car. Your car looks really nice without the distraction of the meatball.

Have you considered a couple of the other decals; NGK, Castrol, etc.(Finish Line sells a pack of them)? I think maybe the smaller decals with less open space, and different colors might be the ticket if you are looking for something to add some interest to the car. Or, just leave it be with no decals. The car looks awesome as she sits!

Just my opinion Scott!

Regards,

Steve
    I looked at the smaller decals but my car has none of the products the decals are representing so I found that kind of corny. I don't think I care for the meatballs much either. Might just put them on once every blue moon for a couple days just because I bought them! Now if anyone is interested in some brand new #7 meatballs message me. I would sell them if I had a reasonable offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice Scott! Congrats!

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Under car improvements...maybe?

Well one advantage of having a lift is you can get a really good view of everything from the bottom. After looking things over I had two things that were concerning me.

First was the fitting attaching the the hydraulic clutch cable to the cylinder on the side of the transmission. It is above the bottom of the frame rails but it seemed kind of vulnerable to road debris. Must be the pilot in me always preparing for the worst case scenario but I figured I would try and protect this. It would probably take a one in a million hit to actually damage it but I figured this would be easy to fix. I cut a piece of aluminum stock and attached it to the bottom of the transmission A frame on the bottom of the transmission. Bolted it in place. This piece still sits above the bottom of the frame tubes and should be a nice deflector if needed. Hopefully it never will. I sure don't have any plans of off roading!

haha

The other thing was the bend in the rear brake line where it exited the lower corner of the drivers footbox. Again it was above the bottom of the frame tubes but seems somewhat vulnerable where it curves out of the footbox. Made a small blocking plate out of scrap steel for that and painted and attached it. There is a lot of black in the picture so I highlighted it in the picture for visibility.

Whether or not these are improvements I am not really sure. Best I can tell they don't hurt anything and were very easy. I feel a little more comfortable now that I have done it so I guess that makes it worthwhile.

After that I went on and did a little detailing. The car has been painted just about 60 days now. I had read and heard not to put a protectant on it for a few months while the paint cured. Since I am getting inspected this week and hope to be on actual roads this weekend I decided now was a good time. I am a big fan of Adams polishes. I have pretty much a complete line of their products. I started with their paint sealant. After that put down a coat of buttery wax. Those products go on and off so easy! The minimal driving I have done so far I had the rear fender splats covered by the finish line removable protectors. When I took those off to seal and wax they already had some signs of wear. Glad I had them on. I have some XPel film I will be putting on now in those areas. Was waiting for the paint sealant before I applied that.

Loading up the car and heading for inspection Wednesday. Hope to get my tag on Thursday and be on the road this weekend!!

Post Thanks / Like

interior trim pieces

I got my pieces back from the powder coater I showed in post #583. I was not liking how the two pieces of carpet came together on that edge. So know I have basically covered an aluminum piece with carpet and covered the carpet with aluminum again. Doesn't make the most since but I like how it looks and am much more confident in the long term durability and the overall look. They are shiny and black so hard to get a good picture but here are a couple.

After that I applied my clear film on the rear fender areas and also put some pieces on the center of the oil cooler opening.

Once again the generosity of the FFR community never fails to impress. My buddy that lives locally with an MK3 has a nice enclosed trailer. He is coming over later so we can load mine up to take to the inspection tomorrow. I am used to operating large equipment but have actually never pulled a trailer of any sort. I know its not a big deal but was a little nervous about my maiden journey being loaded up with my brand new Cobra! He is coming back in the morning and is going to go with me. I am sure appreciative of his effort and cant wait to have the inspection done!

Post Thanks / Like

Road legal!!

Had my inspection today. Well it wasn't much of an inspection. The inspector basically just attached the VIN plate and then we talked about the car for 15 minutes and he took some pics of the car. I think my checking in with him 4-5 times over the course of the build was appreciated by him and at this point he knew he didn't need to see much.

After that I went to my local tag office. Everything I read indicated I would need to submit receipts for them to determine a value and I would have to pay sales tax on that value. Turns out when she put my VIN in they had somehow already determined a value for their use. Lets just say I walked out of there significantly cheaper (by a couple grand!) than I was expecting. Maybe I misunderstood the process but whatever the case I just smiled, wrote the check and moved on.
    I thought long and hard over what license plate I wanted. Had a couple Cobra themed finalist and a couple Aviation based ones to go with my Fighter stick shifter and thought with me being a pilot they would be kind of cool. Took some polls from my friends. The overwhelming choice was TAILWND. When you have a tailwind while flying you are moving faster over the ground than your airspeed so I thought it was a good one. Kind of tied together flying and speed. I was essentially decided on that but for some reason yesterday I changed my mind. Went with FASTJET. I like it. Cost the same to renew it or change it every year so I could always change if I decide against. (temporary tag in the pic)

Then I had to make my first short drive. Went about 5 miles down to the gas station. Got a few nice comments while I was there. Going to take my wife out for a ride when she gets home from school. What a great feeling of accomplishment taking the completed car on a drive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Scott!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Congrats Scott. What a great wrap-up to a great build.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Scott! I like the plate; I think it is fitting.

Car looks terrific, and I look forward to hearing about your journeys.

I hope the bride enjoyed her ride, and enjoys being your navigator going forward.

Great build thread and a great car. Congratulations again!

Regards,

Steve

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast