Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Tires are fine. Drop the pressure to 10 psi for your next attempt. Once you get a feel for how much power the tires will accept before breaking loose you'll be able to launch and hook up. Try a drag strip for an afternoon. Buckle up and hold on
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 08-02-2017 at 05:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats ... looks like it was also great fun!
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where did you purchase safety loop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Makgecko2017 View Post
    Where did you purchase safety loop?
    http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...p?prod=MDL2500
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Well you have become quite the celebrity! I pick up a Hot Rod mag last night and there you are in a FFR ad ... I would say this validated your workmanship! Good Job.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Flowmaster install

Got my pipes with the flow masters welded in back from the ceramic coater:

My first impression was these things are heavy. Probably at least twice as heavy. Keep in mind my exhaust setup is Coyote shorty headers, J-pipes and then the side pipe. When I installed them I found the rear end of the pipe drooped significantly due to the weight. The bolts up front were all tightened very well. I had some concerns about the factory supplied hangers working. I went ahead and mounted them just as I had for the original pipe but I found the weight overwhelmed the rubber piece and pulled it right to full extension and the pipes drooped about 1.5" at the tail end even hooked up to the hanger. They were hanging way to low.

I determined I needed to do something to support them better. I also wanted to have some small amount of play left so they would not be rigidly mounted and break the mounting tab off of the pipe. I ended up having some spare metal and made a shim of sorts to go behind the rubber piece in the hanger. (the remnants of the fan mounting pieces that came in the kit. About the 4th time I have used sections of those and they are gone now. Sure came in handy).

Once I sandwiched that in place I mounted the rest of the hanger as directed in the manual. I only used the top bolt on the tab on the actual pipe itself and used a nylon nut but did not tighten it all the way down so it can rotate around that. That worked great and keeps the pipe right at the level I want it and it has just a little play in it.

Here is the ceramic coated pipe mounted:

The finish is slightly different from my polished pipes and my heat shield doesn't match exactly. For now I plan to leave them off. I have read these mufflers will not be as hot. I could possibly have them coated to match. I do like the look of them. Will evaluate that down the road.

This install took longer than anticipated figuring out the hanger solution. Went on a real quick drive Initial impressions of the sound are very good. My neighbor also made a positive comment on the exterior noise as he was out when I pulled back in the driveway. He said it was much quieter but still sounded mean. Exactly what I was going for! I will be doing some sound testing and videos with my decibel meter and will post that info in the coming days.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like

sound results

I did some more videos today with the decibel meter.
    The overall impression of the flow master upgrade is very favorable. The substantial difference is at cruise speed. It is quite easy to carry on a normal conversation. The sound is much more enjoyable. During hard acceleration the noise is still there but does not seem as harsh. Basically it is quiet when you want it to be and sounds mean when you want it to be.
    Very happy with this upgrade and would definitely recommend it.

I made a movie with all the clips spliced together and the DB information.
    https://youtu.be/_BsQtkuzJdE

Here are some numbers:
    Startup and Idle inside garage:
    Before - 101 After - 98

Startup and idle at various rpms outside:
    Before idle - 98 After idle - 86

roughly 3000-5000rpmm:
    Before: 105 After - 101

Max observed on high rpm rev while sitting still:
    Before - 110 After - 109

Hard acceleration through 1st and 2nd from a stop:
    Before - 109 After - 109

Not tested before, numbers with the new pipes:
    idle from inside car - 86
    Cruise 40 mph, 3rd gear, 2200 rpm - 86
    Cruise 50mph, 5th gear, 1600 rpm - 91
    Cruise 65mph, 5th gear, 2000 rpm - 95 (I believe the 50 and 65 speeds it is more wind noise than engine noise)
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 08-07-2017 at 05:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott
    What model flowmaster did you get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, have you put together your total costs for the new exhaust? And, did you install the custom side pipes before or after the tune?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    Scott
    What model flowmaster did you get?
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-13530320

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Scott, have you put together your total costs for the new exhaust? And, did you install the custom side pipes before or after the tune?
    Didn't put together a total cost. Stopped counting a while ago
    Gonna send the tuner a new set of data logs and he will adjust as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

pipe install follow up

Turns out my mounting system was a bust and resulted in both the J-pipes cracking at the welds in under 50 miles.

I had those J-pipes welded back together so I could get home and curiously the pipes are now supported just fine without any hangers currently in place. Unsupported in the middle they hang perfectly level with no droop. This leads me to believe the J-pipes were previously weakened prior to this install and had some serious flex in them.

I emailed with Tony at FFR and he indicated the TIG weld on those J-pipes was the weak link and it would be smart to go over those welds with a MIG weld and they should be plenty strong. Since both of my J-pipes failed with cracks and a friend had a new unused pair lying around I am acquiring those and will take them to be MIG welded prior to installing on the car.
    I also found a turnbuckle support system that attaches to the pipe flange and a tube rail in the engine compartment to help support the J-pipe. I will be making those improvement when the new J-pipes come in. Probably next week. I will update then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the muffler info.

Post Thanks / Like

Pipe mount attempt 2

Since the last update I have made what I hope will be the permanent solution and the pipes seem to be supported much better.

Once again the generosity of the forum community has come through. I obtained an unused pair of J-pipes from a friend and had all the seams welded over to increase the strength of the pipe.

Another friend was kind enough to design a support system that attached from the J-pipe to side pipe flange and ran to a header bolt. Thus allowing a rigid connection to the motor but allowing the pipe to move with the engine. Here is that design:

While doing some research on people having issues with the J-pipes I also came across another support system that incorporated another one of the hanger rubber pieces. This one attaches to one of the 3/4" frame tubes in the engine compartment and allows for some flex through the rubber piece.

Both seemed like very good ideas. I believe the first option to be the better one. However the difficulty of installation on that one was harder. I know when I was putting the headers on I had to get all the bolts started before tightening them down. The one I would need to loosen to attach the hanger strap is pretty accessible but the others are not. I think since the other 7 would remain tight I would be able to take the 1 in and out ok but the slight possibility that I would have a problem and be required to access the other bolts would turn an easy install into a serious pain in the rear. Considering that and the fact that I now have the second pair of J-pipes I decided to go ahead with option 2 and monitor it closely moving forward. If I end up with another failure I will go with option 1 at that time.

Here are the hangers I put together (not shown in the picture but at the suggestion of a friend I ended up adding some Jam nuts on the turnbuckles so once I set the length they were locked down at that length and would not be able to turn. Also at the suggestion of the guy at my local nut/bolt shop I replaced the nylon lock nut on the end that gets hot at the pipe flange with an all metal locknut so the nylon doesn't melt.)

Here they are installed:

I am very pleased with how everything is supported now. At the mid pipe support I removed the metal shims I previously made and it has the slight play allowed by the rubber piece. I believe this is a good solution. Will continue to monitor.

Also I have come to realize that I think all my post pipe change sound testing was invalid. Pretty sure the J-pipes were cracked all along and the resulting sound levels were higher. Now that I have this all back together the car is even quieter. I am going to have to do some additional testing to document the new levels. Will report back on that.

Here is a quick sound clip of the pipes with no J-pipe fracture allowing additional noise:
    https://youtu.be/AYNReloa3Xc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the 30" Flowmaster slimlines? They also make a 24" slimlines. I would assume the 30" models are more quiet than the 24", certainly an advantage. The larger section on the original pipes is 20" long. Just thinkin'!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Because King used 30s. When King speaks I listen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Because King used 30s. When King speaks I listen!
    Absolutely!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Another friend was kind enough to design a support system that attached from the J-pipe to side pipe flange and ran to a header bolt. Thus allowing a rigid connection to the motor but allowing the pipe to move with the engine. Here is that design:

I love the 3D modeling. I use SolidWorks everyday at BluePrint and have been using it since '97. Did your friend model all of that? Or is there a 3D model of the Factory Five Roadster floating around on the internet that I've never heard about? I would love to have a good model to base new designs and ideas on. I've even considered measuring and modeling all the parts in the kit before I put it together, but talked myself out of it fairly quickly.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

I'm with Y-B! That modeling looks terrific, and professionally done! I too would love to have a full version if one is available. I tried searching for one some time ago, to help with one of the features I was working on, but came up empty.

Sorry for your exhaust trouble, but hope that it is resolved now! I am going to keep an eye on those slimline pieces. A while back they went on sale, and I elected to wait; very stupid decision on my part. So, I will wait to see if they go on sale again.

Let us know how this new brace works out for you Scott!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Badge

I wanted to add a little something to the dash. I had a local artist airbrush a Cobra fender badge to match my paint colors and adhered it to the passenger side of the dash. Very pleased how it came out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, nice touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all in the details. Your neighbors, friends and family won't understand how much time and thought goes into each detail. We do!
    Good job.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like

Corner balancing

I noticed after about 1500 miles my right rear spring had compressed some and I needed to make a ride height adjustment on that corner to correct the visual stance of the car. After I did that when I would accelerate hard the car would head to the left. My theory was I had put to much weight on that right rear corner causing that tire to hook up better than the left rear and thus the thrust vector was sending me left on launches.

I have a local buddy with some scales so he let me borrow them.

Here are the initial readings:

Total weight was 2468 pounds. This was with about 1/2 tank of gas. As you can see the rears had quite a large difference which validated my theory on the right rear having more weight on it causing it to have better traction.

I made a series of adjustments. Very easily accomplished thanks to the lift and pneumatic jack. I had it up and down about 10 times. I would lower it onto the wood blocks and roll it forward onto the scales each time. I also did a series of adjustments with 190lbs of dumb bells in the drivers seat. About half my rides I have someone with me.

Here are the numbers after I finished the adjustments:

I am very pleased how that worked out. I took it on a test drive and the straight line traction on hard launches seems much improved. Honestly with my street driving I am so far away from the handling limits of the car I don't think it will really make a noticeable difference on cornering. I am sure if I were at the limit it would be noticeable. I do enjoy hard accelerations though and am very happy with that improvement.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott,

Did you have to make any adjustments to the sway bars or just the coil over springs?
    Also, I am surprised that you have so much weight on the front, but I can only assume that the Coyote is a pretty hefty mill.
    It seems to be a bit further forward compared to the 302 & 351 SBF builds.
    Glad you figured the issue out.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Scott,

Did you have to make any adjustments to the sway bars or just the coil over springs?
    Also, I am surprised that you have so much weight on the front, but I can only assume that the Coyote is a pretty hefty mill.
    It seems to be a bit further forward compared to the 302 & 351 SBF builds.
    Glad you figured the issue out.

Steve
    I just did the springs. I don't know enough to mess with the sway bars. Possibly I should have but I was unsure of the consequences. I'm pleased how it is performing now. Like I said I am a long way from the performance limit so it is good enough for my purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yer welcome

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

2000 mile update

I passed 2000 miles yesterday. Up to 2048 after this mornings drive.
    Very impressed with the reliability up to this point. Coming into this project I really anticipated having to spend more time working on the car than I am seeing in actual conditions. In fact I think I may be over maintaining the car (if that is possible) just because I miss the build process. After every drive I pretty much clean it up and then when I raise it on the 4 post lift for storage I take a good look at everything from below. Did a thorough nut and bolt check after 500 and 1500 miles and found nothing that needed attention.

Up to this point these have been my issues:
    1. Leaking power steering pump - think is was a bad pump. FFR sent me a replacement pump. Since changing that I have had no problems.
    2. Cracked J-pipes - I think that may have been self induced by adding the heavier side pipes with the slim masters welded in. I documented that in the thread and have about 500 miles on since my last modification with no issues.
    3. I have a small seep of oil from my oil pan drain plug. Not even enough to drip but just some residue. - This one is also self induced. When I changed the oil I did not realized the washer was a crush washer and I should replace it. I have had that plug on and off about 3 times since new. It is such a minimal amount of residue I will just wait until the next oil change to correct it. I just wipe the minimal residue away when I put it up on the lift.
    4. I had a little seepage coming from the fuel line at a connection near the tank. Tightened that up and haven't had any residue since.
    5. After about 1400 miles I felt my passenger rear spring had compressed some. I borrowed some scales and adjusted the ride height and balance as I documented in the thread. That seems to be no further issue.
    6. I bought an aftermarket turn signal switch. After about 1000 miles the handle broke off in my hand. Ordered a replacement from dell city and swapped that out.

That is it. Extremely pleased with the drivability and reliability of the Coyote. I had some challenges getting it up and going that I documented but since then it is just get in and drive. Cranks up no problem every time and I love it. Just what I was hoping to accomplish in drivability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job Scott!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a happy customer
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like

Driveshaft bolts tech update from FFR

Apparently the aluminum driveshaft flange they sent out was thicker than before and they have sent longer bolts to install. Nice they keep up with issues like that and sent a fix unsolicited before there is a problem. Be on the lookout for this if you have the IRS option.

Something tells me my driveshaft safety loop is going to be right in the way and this easy job will not be so easy. Riding out tropical storm Irma today so won't be messing with it for a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

racedeck

Added the race deck flooring to the garage. Really impressed with the product. Fun to make a custom design online and goes down real easy. Hardest part was moving the lift around it. Here are a few pics:

Post Thanks / Like
    The garage looks really nice!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! That looks nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Spectacular and CLEEEEAN!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote fuel mileage

About 2500 now. Car is running great. Zero issues recently.

One thing that has been really surprising in a nice way is the gas mileage I get with the Coyote.
    I am kind of a data geek so I like keeping up with it. I drive pretty aggressively up to the speed limit plus 5-10. Occasionally go on the interstate but for no more than 10 miles or so at a time. The majority of my driving on on country roads with 45mph speed limits and around my small town.

The best mileage I have seen at a fill up is 20.18. The worst was the first fill up after I was road legal at 17.44.
    The overall average is 18.45 mpg.

For what its worth my 2015 F150 has the 5.0 although tuned very differently. I get 15 mpg on the interstate!

Post Thanks / Like

steering wheel mod and cold weather

In my constant desire to keep adding to the car I did a small steering wheel mod. I like the look that some of the higher end performance cars and race cars have with the center marking on the steering wheel. Decided to add a little more color to the cockpit and add an orange stripe to mine. Totally not needed for my driving. Purely an aesthetic mod. I like how it looks. This is currently just orange electrical tape. Now that I know I like the look I may look for a better product that I could use although the tape looks fine I think. I still have the wood wheel I can swap out when I don't desire this look since I have the removable wheels.

Finally this week we have had some cooler fall weather. Temps in the mid 60s during the days. This is the driving weather I have been waiting for. It has been absolutely glorious driving this week.
    This morning I had time for a 30 minute drive before heading to work. Temp was about 45. First real use of the seat heaters. They worked great. At the end of the drive I found my gloved hands and face getting cold. I think any colder and I will have to take shorter drives. The nice part about living in the south is we rarely have extended time frames with weather below 40. I am optimistic I will be able to drive the car at least some all winter long.

Currently at about 2700 miles and the Coyote is running great. I really enjoy that cool air and it feels more powerful. Probably not enough to actually notice but it seems like it anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My kids got me a new steering wheel for Father's day that has the indicator and I too love the look.
    Since the car will be reds, they got a wheel with a red indicator and red stitching.

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/808/

Love It & I Am Thrilled That They Purchased It!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    My kids got me a new steering wheel for Father's day that has the indicator and I too love the look.
    Since the car will be reds, they got a wheel with a red indicator and red stitching.

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/808/

Love It & I Am Thrilled That They Purchased It!
    That is a good looking wheel Steve. Design is extremely similar to my FFR leather wheel. What is the red stripe made from?
    I am sure all my non car friends will ask me what it is for. I am going to come up with some total BS story since they won't know the difference. haha My one neighbor saw my pile of Clecos early on in the build before I even ordered the motor and asked if they were spark plugs! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    That is one seriously clean looking garage! What a nice space.

What's the ceiling height in there?
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What is the red stripe made from?
    The wheel cover is all leather, including the red stripe.
    I'm just glad that I can grip it well because of my mishap that occurred this past April.
    It is why I was looking to change the wheel when my kids found it in my "Amazon Wish List!"

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast