Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mach'er View Post
    That is one seriously clean looking garage! What a nice space.

What's the ceiling height in there?
    About 14'
    I am blessed with a second basement garage that is 1 car wide but 2 deep. All my clutter lives in that one so I can keep the upstairs one looking nice.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like

Sema

Made the back cover of the Ford Performance catalog they are giving out at SEMA.
    If anyone happens to be there and can get me a couple I will happily pay you for shipping!

In other news it is 68 degrees and sunny here today and I am heading out for a ride. Should pass 3000 miles in the next couple days and everything is running beautifully. Really felt like I would have more maintaining to do when I went into this project. Really feeling ready to build a Gen 3 coupe but I have zero desire to get rid of the Cobra and cant justify two completely impractical cars!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Really feeling ready to build a Gen 3 coupe but I have zero desire to get rid of the Cobra and cant justify two completely impractical cars!
    Hey, I resemble that remark... I sold the Gen 3 Coupe on the home front as a "practical" car. After all, it does have a top, real doors, and will have heat and A/C, etc. What more could you ask for?

Congrats on getting your Roadster on the Ford Performance catalog. Very cool.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really feeling ready to build a Gen 3 coupe but I have zero desire to get rid of the Cobra and cant justify two completely impractical cars!
    Says the guy who ordered a Porsche! Ha, that 911 has 4 seats. Practically a grocery getter. You bought a lift to build cars and then to store more cars. Not fooling anyone.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Says the guy who ordered a Porsche! Ha, that 911 has 4 seats. Practically a grocery getter. You bought a lift to build cars and then to store more cars. Not fooling anyone.

-Steve
    The Porsche I can drive 90 miles each way to work! It is completely practical. lol
    I must hold out a couple years before ordering the Coupe!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post

-Steve
    What he said!!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Gentleman, I am late to the party. I am loving reading your build threads but am running out of time. I am only partly through a couple of your builds. I am flying to Wareham this Wednesday to order my dream. I would love some quick input on likes and dislikes. I am planning on a complete kit, irs, wilwood all around, coyote + tko from Forte, Kirkey high backs, dual roll bars. Building it to drive and enjoy more than show. I am posting here because the names in the comments are the threads I’m reading. I live in Indiana and am considering full top and heater. Plan is to black out everything with powdercoat. I’m looking at Boig pipes, mid mount shifter, firewall forward, door panels, etc. Particularly I’m interested in opinions on power steering, brakes, clutch vs manual. Also would like to have a glove box but need the heater. I am just starting to post after joining and am not able to start my own threads yet. Sorry for the Shanghai but need the input. What is best to order from FFR and what from elsewhere. My plan is to pound it out this winter and be driving it next summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhunter View Post
    Gentleman, I am late to the party. I am loving reading your build threads but am running out of time. I am only partly through a couple of your builds. I am flying to Wareham this Wednesday to order my dream. I would love some quick input on likes and dislikes. I am planning on a complete kit, irs, wilwood all around, coyote + tko from Forte, Kirkey high backs, dual roll bars. Building it to drive and enjoy more than show. I am posting here because the names in the comments are the threads I’m reading. I live in Indiana and am considering full top and heater. Plan is to black out everything with powdercoat. I’m looking at Boig pipes, mid mount shifter, firewall forward, door panels, etc. Particularly I’m interested in opinions on power steering, brakes, clutch vs manual. Also would like to have a glove box but need the heater. I am just starting to post after joining and am not able to start my own threads yet. Sorry for the Shanghai but need the input. What is best to order from FFR and what from elsewhere. My plan is to pound it out this winter and be driving it next summer.
    Your plans sound great so far. If you are planning on a quick build, keep in mind that all of the "small" modifications can add a lot of time to your build.

I'm very tall and have long arms so I like mid shifter. Feels good to me. It does put the shift lever close to your dash so look at photos of various builds to see if that is what you want/need. Cup holders, fire extinguisher, etc.

I ordered a heater and did not use it (listed in the parts for sale forum if you want one). If you are going with a top, it is a good idea.

I have not seen a firewall forward with a Coyote and heater. There looks like there is room but I can't comment. AL-C is installing a Coyote and heater, no firewall fwd.

I assume you are considering the fwd firewall for a full depth glove box. If you want the glove box look but don't care if it is 4" deep or 2 1/2" deep there are other options. If you order the new pre padded FFR dash it comes with a deep glove box. It would not be too difficult to cut the plastic glove box and modify it to be shallow. You can buy the aluminum FFR street dash and order a deep or shallow glove box from Alex's Custom Roadster Interiors or make your own glove box. Several options with different time commitments.

There are many builds where guys have modified their heaters for more room, for better aesthetics, to not draw air in from the engine compartment, etc. Many discussions to read. Keep your build schedule in mind with these choices.

With the Wilwoods, it think the consensus is you will be fine, no power required. Power steering is highly recommended. I ordered a PS kit from FFR. Ended up selling it because I wanted to use braided stainless hoses and found FFR's difficult to work with. Breeze has kits with everything you need.

I went with a hydraulic clutch based on Mike Forte's recommendations and am very happy but don't have anything to compare with.

Good luck and enjoy.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott, I was just checking on a Speedhut part and noticed they have aviator bezels for our gauges. Thought they would look nice with that stick you have for a shifter. Jim
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Scott, I was just checking on a Speedhut part and noticed they have aviator bezels for our gauges. Thought they would look nice with that stick you have for a shifter. Jim
    Dang it Jim!!!! I thought I was done spending money on this car. Trying to save for the next one. haha
    Will check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a similar project in 2012, and had the same intentions as yours. Yeah, it'll be a driver more than for show. Every time you're at the gas pumps it's a car show. Take the time during the build to focus on detail and you can have both. I've got over 20,000 miles on mine. Love driving....love showing.
    The Wilwoods will stop you plenty fast enough with minimal effort. Power assist in this application is overkill and adds clutter to the engine bay. The firewall forward kits from 3rd party vendors are not designed as a straight "bolt on" with the Coyote drivers side footbox. You will need to mod the piece to fit.
    I too wanted a glove box and heater. There isn't room for both unless you modify the heater location. There are easy mods to push the heater core/fan away from the firewall and provide the room required for the glove box. I opted for the heater only. I have the door panels. There is ample storage in these for small thjngs. If you are installing panels, the glove box is aesthetic...IMO..
    I don't have power steering and have never had an instance where I wish I had it. The wheels on this 2,300 pound car are easy to turn when the car is standing still. A breeze while it's moving. No PS helps to keep the engine bay free of clutter.
    I opted for the manual clutch. More for cost than anything. The cable is supplied with the complete kit and after I had bought other components I was feeling $100-to-death with the extras. NO issues with manual.
    I do have the premium top from FFR (Rod Tops) and absolutely love it. You'll never see any negative comment from an owner of these tops. It's a must if you plan to tour. I purchased the premium top because I didn't want to have push buttons along the back on the cockpit.
    I must recommend you purchase the Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers to go with the Coyote. A must have.

Yours schedule is agressive but not impossible. All depends when you take delivery, how much free time you have and your experience. It's not hard to put together. There's a couple of steps you want to have a clear head while completing. You don't need any special
    skills. Good luck in Wareham

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the responses, here and pm’s. Going to be some tough decisions next week. After much reading here it seems the consensus is the heater isn’t worth the effort. That was the reasoning for the forward dash. I love the look of your door panels and that is plenty of storage without the glove box. Can one of you pm me and explain the build mentor please. Also, is there a listing of owners/builders by location somewhere on here?

Post Thanks / Like
    sbhunter,
    Welcome from another Indiana guy! I'm about an hour south of Indy in Bloomington. Besides my own there are 4 other FFR roadsters in town; 2 that I built, one purchased completed from out of state and another that's in process. I know several owners around the state including a couple in the Indy area. I've built & painted a bunch of these cars---give me a shout or PM if you'd like to chat sometime.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

3300 mile update

Not much of an update. Hit 3300 miles the other day. Everything continues to operate wonderfully. Extremely pleased with the reliability of the Coyote setup. Just crank up and go every time no problem.

Had a cool experience yesterday. There is a property out in the country I pass on my rides that has a bunch of old signs and buildings with some old gas pumps. I have been wanting to take some pictures out there and finally decided to leave a note in the owners mailbox asking if I could come out. He called me back the same day and invited me out. Very nice man. Lives on 170 acres. He is 74 years old and has lived there for 73 years. This particular portion of his property he had purchased a bunch of old buildings and had them moved there. He had an amazing sign and antique collection. He gave me a nice tour and left me at it to take some pictures. The building I am parked in front of was a store built in 1900. The interior is amazing. Pretty much set up like it would have been back in the day. He enjoyed seeing the Cobra as well. He had never heard of Factory Five and really enjoyed looking at it. I am really pleased the car has opened a door to make a new friend and see some very cool things I otherwise would have never seen.

Here are a couple pictures:

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that is too cool. Amazing petroliana collection. I am amazed at the great friends I've made, people I've met, and places I have been to because of a simple interest in sports cars. Good times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing things like this really makes me wonder where my car is going to take me. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing Scott.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Great photos! Really nice story of the property and the gentleman you met. Thanks!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks y'all. My thread has deviated from an actual build thread at this point to more of a blog posting! Not really the intent of this section but hopefully it is ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are all kinds of good spots for photos in front of those buildings! It would be hard to choose where to park the car.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Looks like the War Eagle fly high in the Iron Bowl yesterday!! Congrats it was a great game.

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vette1972 View Post
    Scott,

Looks like the War Eagle fly high in the Iron Bowl yesterday!! Congrats it was a great game.

Len
    Thanks Len
    We had a blast at the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car Scotty and a real nice build blog, I'm doing the planning and parts acquisition for my 2nd build so I'll be using this for reference. I do have one question for you right now.
    How "waterproof" are your seat heaters? The reason I ask is I originally had the roadster seats in my MK2 but one track day and I called Wareham and ordered the high backs since I was using as much energy holding myself in the seat as I was driving the course. I was pleasantly surprised how comfy the kirkeys were and they really kept me planted but an unintended consequence was that when I got caught in the rain they would fill right up with water. I drilled a couple of drain holes in them and that helped a bit. I just felt that maybe you should be aware of this because you've installed the heaters.
    Again, nice car and great blog

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty's65 View Post
    Nice car Scotty and a real nice build blog, I'm doing the planning and parts acquisition for my 2nd build so I'll be using this for reference. I do have one question for you right now.
    How "waterproof" are your seat heaters? The reason I ask is I originally had the roadster seats in my MK2 but one track day and I called Wareham and ordered the high backs since I was using as much energy holding myself in the seat as I was driving the course. I was pleasantly surprised how comfy the kirkeys were and they really kept me planted but an unintended consequence was that when I got caught in the rain they would fill right up with water. I drilled a couple of drain holes in them and that helped a bit. I just felt that maybe you should be aware of this because you've installed the heaters.
    Again, nice car and great blog

Scott
    Thank you. Well they are listed as waterproof for whatever that is worth. I am very conservative on what weather I drive the car in. People say never say never but I can tell you I will never get caught in a heavy rain so I am not to concerned about it. If there is any possibility of rain the car does not come out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this is my first post!! As you can see by my screen name I haven't ordered my kit YET!! Great job on your build and doing the thread for other newbs to realize the work involved! I will be lurking around and hitting you guys up for answers from time to time. I look forward to joining the club!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scotty there are two kinds of Roadster drivers - those that have been caught in the rain and those that are going to be caught in the rain...lol

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty's65 View Post
    Scotty there are two kinds of Roadster drivers - those that have been caught in the rain and those that are going to be caught in the rain...lol

Scott
    Well like I previously said. If there is ANY chance of rain the car doesn’t come out. I spend a lot of time at work analyzing weather. I’m pretty comfortable with it and operate on the very conservative side when it comes to driving the car. Hard to get caught in the rain when there is a 0% chance of rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Hard to get caught in the rain when there is a 0% chance of rain.
    Uh oh, I think you just sealed your fate with that statement! If/when it happens don't worry; rain doesn't hurt them. Gets 'em dirty and the carpet stinks until it dries but they recover just fine

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    A little rain makes for a well rounded driving experience. Without experience, you're just reading about it.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 12-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's rain?
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating

I had some paint correction and ceramic coating done yesterday and today. I have been highly impressed with the paint job Whitby did. It always gets great compliments. I had read a lot on ceramic paint coatings on another car forum I participate in. I have a new car on order that I intend to get it on so I figured I would try it out on the cobra first. I have a professional detailer locally that comes highly recommended. In order to apply the ceramic coating it is best to have the paint correction done first to remove any swirl marks or imperfections. This detailer works on a lot of high end cars and was very complimentary of the paint job that Whitby did. He had the car for two days and I was almost shocked when I first saw it. I mean I thought it looked great before but this takes it to an entirely new level. Time will tell how well it will hold up. The product I used is Opti Coat Pro. The manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty on it but honestly with the lack of sitting outdoors or driving in the weather I expect this product to last pretty much forever. I will report back after some driving how it is to clean. Supposedly it stays looking very shiny and almost nothing will stick to it so it is very easy to clean.

The car now has 3700 miles on it and continues to run flawlessly. The reliability and ease of operation of the Coyote matches any other new car I have and I am very pleased with my decision to go with the Coyote.

https://youtu.be/3-DT8kb0qrs

Last edited by wareaglescott; 12-22-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Better video of the detailing

https://youtu.be/vp65dnCdMzY

Post Thanks / Like
    That shine must be blinding in the sun!! Very nice!
    And great video!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Scott. That turned out killer. The paint and overall appearance is flawless.

Post Thanks / Like

upgrade and a tool

Shout out to forum member Straversi for this idea I copied from his build thread.

When I built the car I was not sure how to anchor the lower radiator tube. I ended up cutting some hose and wrapping the tube and then using zip ties to secure it to the Cross brace on the frame.
    Here is the before. It didn't look great but held up for 4000 miles no problem:

Straversi came up with a much better plan and ordered a snug-fit vibration damping loop clamp from McMaster.
    I used a slightly different clamp than Steve. Mine was part # 3177T78
    Fit perfect around my lower radiator tube and I used a rivet to attach it to the frame. Probably could have used a rivnut like Steve did so I could just unscrew it but I decided if it needed to come off it would be simple to drill the one rivet out.

Here is the after. Looks much cleaner:

Also I have a new favorite tool. Perfect if you are working under the car or under a lift and the overhead light is blocked off. It has a magnetic base so you can stick it anywhere and the head articulates in about every direction so you can shine your light wherever you need it. I had not really seen one like this before. It is probably pretty common but I thought I would mention it anyways. Really a great tool. I highly recommend it if you need additional lighting.

Here is a link for the light on the Sonic Tools USA website. My buddy has the USA distribution for Sonic tools and I really like this stuff!
    https://www.sonictoolsusa.com/3-in-1-slim-light-mini

Car has about 4000 miles now. No issues or problems to report. Not getting to drive it nearly as much as I would like with the cold temperatures lately. I don't know how you guys up North that put the cars away all winter do it!

Post Thanks / Like

Painting

I enjoy posting pics on instagram. (@scottscobra)
    A couple months ago an artist/tattoo artist from Columbia (the country not South Carolina) contacted me asking if I would mind if he used my picture to do a painting. I was pleased for him to do it. He contacted me last night with the finished project. He said he had about 80 hours in it. I thought it came out really cool. I really admire people who can create things like this. Wish I had the talent. Would love to buy it from him but he declined and plans to keep it for his art exhibit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool Scott! Love it
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! That is cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Stipe width

Had another forum member inquire about the width of my stripe. I made a crude diagram for him so figured it might be worthwhile to post here.

Hopefully it is legible. My outer stripes are 1/2" thick and there is a 1/2" gap between them and the thick single stripe.
    The center stripe has quite a few tapers in it to look straight. If my crude drawing is confusing just message me if needed.

41. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast