Out of Sight Audio

Visit our community sponsor

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Scott, thanks for the index. If you're idle hands are jonesing for cobra work, then shoot over to bham and ill let you drill and rivet some panels. I got my kit in last week.

Small update. Paint work is progressing at Whitby's. I am visiting there next Monday to see the painted body. I am having the car shipped home to me but wanted to lay eyes on the paint work before it leaves the shop. I do not believe the car will be completely ready by then because I am having them install the windshield and a few other items. Paint work should be ready to inspect though. Very excited to see the paint. Hope to have the car home in the next few weeks to finish up.

In the meantime I have started working on the registration process for Alabama. The first step is to submit some paperwork which they will review and then I will take the completed car for an inspection and they will install the VIN plate. The paperwork will take weeks to process and I have all the required information so I figured I would get that going concurrently to minimize the time spent waiting for inspection.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13

Good luck with the registration. Must be pulling your hair out waiting.
    -Steve
    MK IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16

Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Good luck with the registration. Must be pulling your hair out waiting.
    -Steve
    I am certainty ready for it to be back.
    I have found the bodywork/paint aspect of this project to be the only part that isn't 100% enjoyable. I'm just not willing to do it myself so that puts you on someone's else timetable which is hard for this self proclaimed control freak! Haha
    I'm confident in the end product and the wait is almost over.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16

color is happening

Jeff at Whitby sent me this picture this morning. I am very excited to see some color on the car. He indicated they are taping the stripes now. Hoping to see some body color in the near future!

Blog Entries
    WareEagleScott,

> I can't wait to see how your stripes come out.
    > As I stated earlier, I never intended to put stripes on my car, but love your pattern.
    > If I pilfer your pattern the center stripes will be gun metal gray to match my wheels and red over the rest of the body.
    > Also, it looks like Jeff is moving quicker than I thought he would so I'm glad I was wrong regarding my earlier concern.

Good Luck, Looks Great & I Know You Can't Wait!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    WareEagleScott,

> I can't wait to see how your stripes come out.
    > As I stated earlier, I never intended to put stripes on my car, but love your pattern.
    > If I pilfer your pattern the center stripes will be gun metal gray to match my wheels and red over the rest of the body.
    > Also, it looks like Jeff is moving quicker than I thought he would so I'm glad I was wrong regarding my earlier concern.

Good Luck, Looks Great & I Know You Can't Wait!

Steve
    Thanks Steve. You are so non traditional with the engine choice you might as well match that with a non traditional stripe choice!
    That sounds like a great looking color combination. The majority of the country will think I'm crazy but as a resident of SEC country I think you can understand why this Auburn man had to disqualify all colors of red, burgundy from consideration before I even got started. lol
    My color choice is unique for sure. The die cast model I painted up looks good but I sure am anxious to see the actual in person!!

Blog Entries
    I totally get the SEC thing and my Father-N-Law wants me to paint my car Purple & Gold, even though I didn't go to LSU.

Your car will be the talk of your town once completed.

By the way, it will look way better than Purple & Gold!

Color is on

Pretty excited to get these pictures today. I love how it is looking. It is certainly unique and non traditional. I am sure it is not for everyone but I sure am pleased. Cant wait to see it in person next Monday when I visit Whitby. Really starting the see the completion of this project coming soon!!

Blog Entries
    I'm Really Thinking I'll Be Copying Your Stripe Design!

Does It Look Great Or What?

Now For The Clear!

Dude, this is gonna look so good.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    Plan: 427W-X, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear. Delivered Feb 2017

This is well on its way to looking fantastic ... I have seen Whitby's work and it is pretty incredible.

I too am very fond of your stripe choice; and will also be an imitator of same in the future. It looks like the hood scoop would be all in the stripe color ... is that correct?

Congratulations,

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

stripes

Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    This is well on its way to looking fantastic ... I have seen Whitby's work and it is pretty incredible.

I too am very fond of your stripe choice; and will also be an imitator of same in the future. It looks like the hood scoop would be all in the stripe color ... is that correct?

Congratulations,

Carl
    Thanks Carl!
    Yes the hood scoop will be completely within the stripe.
    My initial thoughts on this pattern in my mind was 3 stripes. The center stripe a little thinner and the outer stripes a little thicker than what I ended up with. After conversations with Jeff at Whitby and the painter that lays the stripes out I explained what I was wanting and told them to use their judgement and experience to lay the stripes out how it looked best and flowed best on the body with relation to the oil cooler opening and hood scoop.
    While there are technically 3 stripes their interpretation seems to conceptually be more along the lines of 1 large stripe with two pinstripes. When they laid out the stripes they gave me two options. The one on the left was a 1/4" gap and 1/4" inch stripe. The one on the right is a 1/2" gap and stripe.

With my original intentions of the thicker outer stripes I choose the 1/2" gap and stripe.
    I originally found this pic below and the owner said I could use it. This is probably more like a 3/4 or 1" gap and stripe. It is all how you want to think of it. In my mind this was more of a triple stripe vs a single stripe with pinstripes. We are only talking an additional 1/4-1/2" but in my eye it makes a big difference.

I am thrilled how it turned out. For those considering this pattern just keep in mind the outer stripe size and gap can make a big difference how it turns out. I did find another picture of what not to do but don't want to post someone else's car as a negative example. On that one the gap was quite thin and the outer stripes where probably 3-4 times the thickness of the thin gap. I thought it looked horrible but that is just my opinion. In my eye the gap and the outer stripe need to be the same thickness.

One last thing and it will be more noticeable later when you see pictures including the hood. Whitby uses a tapered stripe. They told me it tapers at 7 places along the body. (I think they said 7). The center stripe thickness is 15" thick at the nose and 16.5" back at the cockpit. I think visually that will make it look best as well.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-23-2017 at 05:05 AM.

clear coat

They sprayed the clear yesterday.
    Jef at Whitby indicated they will let the car sit for close to a week and then start the sanding and polishing process. I really know nothing about the finish process and have been surprised how many steps there are. Jeff said they will start with 800 grit paper and then go by 200 grits up to 2500 and then 3 grits of polish and then it will be time for assembly. Sounds like quite a process. Can't wait to see it in person Monday! (even though that will be before the sanding)

Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-23-2017 at 08:51 AM.

This build thread is outstanding. In fact, I've gone back and "re-done" some of my work to bring my car up to speed. Thanks for all of the effort you've shown in helping the rest of us. I really appreciate it.

Wow!!
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, Coyote, Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by CatBuster95 View Post
    This build thread is outstanding. In fact, I've gone back and "re-done" some of my work to bring my car up to speed. Thanks for all of the effort you've shown in helping the rest of us. I really appreciate it.
    Thanks! I have learned so much from everyone on the forum I am glad some of my information can be useful to others.
    How did people build these cars before the forum? I cant even imagine!

Congrats on color, that's awesome!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112