Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: coupe cooling

Post Thanks / Like

coupe cooling

Has anybody had over heating in their coupes idling? I can run down the road at 70 mph with a 160 degree thermostat with the engine running 160. But idling in traffic any amount of time the temperature climbs to 210. I had a new water pump and it didn't help and I put an electric water pump on and it didn't help.
    Anybody else ever had this problem?
    Conway Witten

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Replaced the water pump with a high volume pump from Summit and a high flow Moroso thermostat. That solved my cooling issues. Since you have an electric pump I suggest you start with the thermostat. Also, just my opinion, you should bump the thermostat up to 180 or 190. The higher heat helps dissipate moisture which causes sludge. Again, just my opinion, 210 is not out of the "normal" operating temperature range. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a modified Breeze radiator shroud and never had a over heating problem even in 95 degrees with A/C on.

65157.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    up - I added a fan shroud and oil cooler. Now I can run at 80mph all day without getting too hot.

Regards, Mike
    Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06, The Jones build site

Post Thanks / Like
    I was having problems with the supplied cooling fan blowing fuses in my wiring harness and overheating in traffic. Decided rather than keep putting that stress on the main harness i would go ahead and upgrade the fan and the wiring.
    The wiring harness is available for with and without A/C.. I got the basic with A/C option. it was $79
    It's available from The Hollister Road Company and is designed specifically for this swap. http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
    For the fan upgrade I got some info from the Hollister site and a few others and settled on one that is from the mid 90's Cougar and Lincoln. Dorman part# 620118 It's a Dorman OE replacement part for $89 at www.rockauto.com
    Install was pretty straight forward but the fan was taller than the radiator by about 1 1/2 inches. Width was perfect I trimmed the stock mounting tabs off the fan shroud and added some 1 1/2" aluminum angle to the flanges on the radiator so the shroud slides right over the top of them. Then drilled through the shroud and angle and added captive nuts and bolted the shroud down.
    There was some clearance issues around the fan motor and you have to notch the mounts to clear the outer edge of the fan blade.

Not sure if cross linking is ok but here's a link. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/21-ffr-...n-upgrade.html
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forward from an older post

The fans are Misimoto's and have not let me down yet.

I installed my new shroud and fan's today and man it fits perfect. I only had to drill 2 new holes in the top lip of the rad, the bottom holes lined up.
    Its fairly inexpensive and flows almost 1900cfm.

The quality of the shroud is top notch the aluminum is 3mm thick and super heavy duty. The dual fans are even less noisy than the FFR supplied one.

The part even has a lifetime warrenty

Here is a link to the part from summit

[URL="http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmfs-rx-ls"]

Its meant for a ls swap into a mazda rx7

Post Thanks / Like
    its all about the shroud
    you gotta get a fan shroud
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    My monster custom designed coupe radiator with dual fans and shroud. This one has the optional built in oil cooler
    https://www.facebook.com/levyracing/...type=3&theater
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it fixed thanks guys! I put a shroud on and fixed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a follow-up to this topic, can anyone direct me to some photos of what was needed to make the Breeze roadster shroud fit the coupe? I tried to find them but was not successful. I am debating making my own shroud vs. modifying the Breeze shroud. Thanks for any advice and guidance.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    As a follow-up to this topic, can anyone direct me to some photos of what was needed to make the Breeze roadster shroud fit the coupe? I tried to find them but was not successful. I am debating making my own shroud vs. modifying the Breeze shroud. Thanks for any advice and guidance.
    Check my build thread post 38. You will see at the bottom I cut the shroud to make it fit the radiator then riveted back together. It is a very simple modification, IMO.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir! I recently spoke to Mark at Breeze about this and his suggestion was that I just build one myself as I have a shear and a brake. But that looks great and I need to build one more thing from scratch like I need a hole in my head, so I may just do what you did.