Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone have a pic of coyote/tko600/mid shift location

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a pic of coyote/tko600/mid shift location

Does anyone has a finished interior picture they could post of a tko600 with the mid shifter position? I am trying to see where it sits on the finished interior. I am using the coyote so if that has a bearing on the final position a picture with that setup would be a plus.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    this is where mine ended up. to set correct pinion angle i had to raise tranny a little requiring me to cut one of the tunnel crossmembers(pic is before).DSC_7932.jpgIMG_0819.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterAdam View Post
    this is where mine ended up. to set correct pinion angle i had to raise tranny a little requiring me to cut one of the tunnel crossmembers(pic is before).DSC_7932.jpgIMG_0819.JPG
    Thanks. I was wondering about cutting the cross piece. Do you have a picture of that? Did you weld a new one in place farther forward?

Oh and spectacular shift knob! Love how it matches the paint job. Do you have a link for where you got that done or any other information on it?
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 06-23-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i just cut it out. it really doesn't offer anything structurally. Think i got the knob from "speed dawg", search their site for "cobra" and you will see they have racing stripe, rally stripe, carbon etc. there are some other sites too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterAdam View Post
    i just cut it out. it really doesn't offer anything structurally.
    The first MK1 frames didn't have the diagonal bracing. These pieces were added to later production chassis for stiffening so saying it doesn't add anything structural isn't quite correct. Like other OEM companies unneeded pieces aren't attached just for fun; they have a function. If you don't plan on competing at any type of performance event, you will never miss the part you removed.

Here is a picture of mine with the piece in question moved forward on the PS of the tunnel and welded. I will say the shift knob ended up too close to the dash for the upper shift positions with a straight stick. I later modified the stick to lean it back about 15 degrees and it is in perfect position for me.
    2015-07-22 14.02.50d.jpg
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    if your transmission tunnel flexes because this piece was removed than you have other much larger problems.....like you were just hit by an 18 wheeler. haha. but i stand corrected, 2bking is correct that it is there for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at my post from a couple years back on how I did a MKIV / Coyote / TKO-600 getting the shifter in a mid-shifter like position without converting the tranny to a true mid-shift....

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...g-a-midshifter

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    Take a look at my post from a couple years back on how I did a MKIV / Coyote / TKO-600 getting the shifter in a mid-shifter like position without converting the tranny to a true mid-shift....

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...g-a-midshifter

Kevin
    Thanks for the thread reference Kevin. Will check that over

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not running a Coyote, but I do have a midshifter installed. The photo shows how much clearance I had before raising the back of the transmission to adjust the pinion angle. I was able to raise the transmission about 0.6" at which point I had about a tenth of an inch of clearance between the shifter and the bottom of the crossmember. This put the pinion angle in an acceptable range.

Since the transmission mount is basically directly below the shifter, I have no concern for any vertical deflection of the transmission that would close a 0.1" gap (way too stiff in the vertical plane). Rotation from engine torque is perhaps a bigger concern, but because the shifter is on the center of rotation and the motor mounts are not, the engine would have to lift something approaching 2 inches to generate enough rotation to close a 0.1" gap at the centerline. So my point is you may be able to get the back of the transmission high enough to get an acceptable pinion angle without removing the crossmember. A small amount of clearance, say a tenth to an eighth of an inch, is likely all you need. Suggest that the pinion angle be adjusted first to see how much clearance you have before removing any structural members.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestion Karlos