Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "other forum" password system is screwed up

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've gotten some requests for email changes, but I can't get to them until this afternoon, sorry! I'll post again as soon as they are done.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been able to help all who have requested it except the OP. I can't force their system to generate a random password, I can only force it to require the user change it on next login, when they will be forced to use the new password widget over there. Again, I can update the email address, so if that is your requirement let me know.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    I think some need to lighten up a bit. Both forums have their place. I go to both every day. A new password that they assign you has some ticked off? Jeeeeez. Happens on all the forums I am on now and again. Normal occurrence, to me anyway. There are advantages to both forums. Neither is perfect. I enjoy both, and plan to for as long as they exist.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I think some need to lighten up a bit. Both forums have their place. I go to both every day. A new password that they assign you has some ticked off? Jeeeeez. Happens on all the forums I am on now and again. Normal occurrence, to me anyway. There are advantages to both forums. Neither is perfect. I enjoy both, and plan to for as long as they exist.
    Well Thank You! I think that most of us agree with you. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    The password reset is more than that - because guys who deal with mechanical objects aren't that tech savvy with computers as a given. It's two different things. Add in the demographic we are considering. The average F5 owner is over 50, sure, many got up to speed with computers but they didn't grow up with them. They weren't working cheat codes on games, they were figuring out how to bolt on carbs - mechanical cheat codes.

I understand generalizations are problematic, but I suspect the 818 crowd isn't having a problem with it, nor was there much traffic there anyway.

What V has done is allowed their own negligence to sort out the casual users based on computer skills and they are going to see a lot of drop off in traffic because of the way they are handling it. It's no different than what the Army has gone thru, super secure passwords with short windows of operation weren't needed just to download a retirement check stub. They got the memo and changed it. If it's going to take that kind of encryption to sign in then a lot of the older crowd will just sign off. It's not USER FRIENDLY - which used to mean something.

Frankly hacking passwords on recreational sites doesn't seem to be real lucrative. As said, it's not like many use the same password they use for their bank account, and a lot use a different email to deadstop the spam from sites that get phished anyway. I'm much less worried over someone hacking hobby sites when 25 million secured military records were already given away by the same lack of concern from the US Government.

If TOS won't make the process easy (aka the multistep process outlined in a post above) then oh well. Their loss of hits gets reflected in revenue and that chicken will come home to roost.

It's lean here and obviously this site gets more attention from the admins than 1,100 under one roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    O.K. I give up. What's the other forum ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do I always feel I'm being lectured too when certain people post?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myrtille2004 View Post
    I had my account on the other site for more than 5 years with many post, it just died since my email reset password and email address don't match anymore, I don't understand. I have sent a request at the admin, but I don't have high expectation. I will only use this site for now!
    Same here over 10 years now I can't even log in. Admin has nor answered, think I am done with them.
    Currently re-building FFR5066K 5.0 T5 3:55 four link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Mine seems to be messed up too. "Flo" wanted to ask me a security question...
    Mike, FFR 4263 MKII, Red/Silver, 331 and Loads of FUN!!!!
    Maybe I will Update this for the new forum....

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't care if I have to get a new password,,, I'm just locked out because it won't recognize my E-Mail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    I wouldn't care if I have to get a new password,,, I'm just locked out because it won't recognize my E-Mail.
    I am having the same issue.

If I can't get on the forum, what am I supposed to do while I am at work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Thank you Craig. Its unbelievable that people(children) get pissed because they have to change their password. It was a very easy thing to do. These same guys would be the first one to raise holy hell if their hacked password caused their computers to be hacked at home. GROW UP

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Again, if your email is no longer valid, I can set a new one for you. Send me a PM or post here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Again, if your email is no longer valid, I can set a new one for you. Send me a PM or post here...

PM sent
    Currently re-building FFR5066K 5.0 T5 3:55 four link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chuck and Jeff, your current email addresses have been set into your profile. Use the "Lost Password" functionality over there to reset your password if needed.

Avalanche325, send me your email via PM or this thread and I'll update your profile for you too.

Post Thanks / Like
    THANK YOU MR HODGEKINS ! sorry if my whining upset anyone....not really ! It was in me and needed to come out !...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

I am all good. Thanks for fixing me up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, ahhhhhhh thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitress!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update. They finally made the pass word update work more user friendly. I went back and tried again and it updated as it should have the first 10 times. One thing to watch is if it contains a zero or the letter O. They look simular.
    Thanks David H. for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DVANSLEEN View Post
    Update. They finally made the pass word update work more user friendly. I went back and tried again and it updated as it should have the first 10 times. One thing to watch is if it contains a zero or the letter O. They look simular.
    Thanks David H. for your help!
    FINALLY! Glad you got in. Just hoping you still love this place too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12