Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "other forum" password system is screwed up

Post Thanks / Like

The "other forum" password system is screwed up

Has anybody tried to reset their password on the "other forum" as they have forced people to do. They have really screwed it up.
    I'm glad I use this one most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I did it no problem at all. Sort of came out of left field as far as having to do it, but no problem going through the process and only took a few minutes. Most of the time was trying to dream up a new password that is longer than the National Anthem contains numbers, symbols, caps, hieroglyphics, Swahili, French, Polish and Roman numerals + my Aunty's birthdate!
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I got the email too. I just reset mine and its back to normal.
    I'm never going to remember my new password!!
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem changing mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The administrators of that site continue to "shoot themselves in the foot".
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Password was reset no problem. Im more concerned what the "security issue" that caused all this in the first place was.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was unable to reset mine even with the new password they gave me
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to but it's not the smoothest. I already had a complex 16 character one so wish I did not need to change but whatever.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a thread there maybe a week ago about the parent company getting hacked. To me this seems like when your bank decides to give you a new card w/ a new account # on it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been there because I don't want to support them with numbers, however, other forums with the same software had the same thing yesterday.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotyacht View Post
    Yep, I did it no problem at all. Sort of came out of left field as far as having to do it, but no problem going through the process and only took a few minutes. Most of the time was trying to dream up a new password that is longer than the National Anthem contains numbers, symbols, caps, hieroglyphics, Swahili, French, Polish and Roman numerals + my Aunty's birthdate!
    I love these replies!!! made my day. reset mine no problem

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had to do the same for a few forums lately. It happens. I think it's funny. People get all twisted about changing password. Do they also hit a detour on the way to work and turn around, return home, give up and just quit? Lol.

But, this is a good point to not put anything into a social media that you don't want the world to know. These forums are social media just like Facebook, etc, and you can't expect complete privacy on a system that is designed to facilitate social interaction. A little common sense goes along way.

(This coming from the guy who avoids Facebook and don't even store his credit card info on his own computer)
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Do they also hit a detour on the way to work and turn around, return home, give up and just quit?
    You been spying on me?
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't expected but change it no problem. Just have to write it down to remember it
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always kept money/banking passwords different that play passwords, like forums. I often use "soft" easy to remember passwords for that stuff. Between work and everything else I have about 40-50 passwords to keep track of. I also try to change everything at minimum once a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've sort of abandoned the "other" forum, since it's more commercial these days.... doing my best to help FFR build this forum into the premier site for their cars and community.

I received a couple password reset warnings from various enthusiast forums that I do or used to frequent - leading me to think that maybe the parent host company was hacked.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I received a new password and can log in. As soon as I try to set up a new password I get a screen about the update and instructions to change my password but it freezes and I cannot do anything after that. I have tried many times and the updated system is not working for me. I am about to give up.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    It took me a couple of tries, but I managed to reset to my new PW. The trick is to pay careful attention to the new sign-in page setting/changing passwords. Here's how I did it:

1. Open the email you received from the forum and copy the supplied password into your clipboard.
    2. Go to the "other forum" home page and log in, using your old User ID and pasting the new (supplied) password in the appropriate boxes.
    3. Then go to to the line near the top of the page where it says "Welcome wxyz" and click on your "Private Messages."
    4. Over on the left side of the page, click on "Edit Email & Password" in the "Settings & Options" section.
    5. Paste the new, supplied PW into the top box. Don't use your old password here.
    6. Then enter the PW you will use in the future. The red X's will turn into green check marks as you meet the new PW requirements (Caps, symbols, length, etc.)
    7. Confirm the password in the second box and you should be good to go.

Then record the new PW you're going to use. I know, you're not supposed to do this, but with so many different PW's all having to meet different requirements, I have to or I can't remember them.
    Last edited by Blue MK3; 06-24-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep ! It took me 3 times but I finally got it changed. Now another new password to manage/remember !
    Attached Images Attached Images

New builder/Fast learner myrtille2004's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had my account on the other site for more than 5 years with many post, it just died since my email reset password and email address don't match anymore, I don't understand. I have sent a request at the admin, but I don't have high expectation. I will only use this site for now!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's Another Factory Five Forum?

All kidding aside, I never could get on it and just figured they didn't want me since my car will be Mighty Mouse Powered!

Ya'll Have A Great Weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by myrtille2004 View Post
    I had my account on the other site for more than 5 years with many post, it just died since my email reset password and email address don't match anymore, I don't understand. I have sent a request at the admin, but I don't have high expectation. I will only use this site for now!
    As much as I'm temped to say I didn't see this post I can help you get your account over there back on track. Send me a PM with your primary ID and preferred email over there and I'll set the email into your profile. Then you will be able to use the "send password" function over there to get you back on track...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    As much as I'm temped to say I didn't see this post I can help you get your account over there back on track. Send me a PM with your primary ID and preferred email over there and I'll set the email into your profile. Then you will be able to use the "send password" function over there to get you back on track...

Can I assume that this is the "Official Factory Five Forum" since there logo is on it and since the "Factory Five Staff, Including Dave Smith" always give us updates?

In other words, do we really need two forums?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got in and reset password, first time, no issues.

1 manufacturer forum, 1 public / commercial forum. Much, much broader exposure and its all good for F5.

Post Thanks / Like
    So after all the BS of trying to think up a new password, that I might actually be able to remember, I see they just assigned me one of their own anyway. No way I could ever remember that jumble..
    So WTF? Why wouldn't the new password I chose yesterday, just be used from the get-go, instead of me screwing around doing the same bloody thing all over again? They could have just e-mailed all the members a new password from the start, and then we wouldn't have to do it all over again..bloody twits..

If a person is even a half bit intelligent, they should be able to chose a password that doesn't require capital letters, symbols, and numbers. That's ridiculous..even my bank doesn't require something as complicated..
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Notice we haven't had any problems here... Thanks for keeping our forum safe, David!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    ncbuilder - that pic you attached to your post...it looks like hoofa is still hard at work on his cobra! Anyone know what ever came of it and him?

Todd
    Mk3 F5R4937, Carb'd 460BB, C4, 3-Link, A/C, APE Hardtop

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Can I assume that this is the "Official Factory Five Forum" since there logo is on it and since the "Factory Five Staff, Including Dave Smith" always give us updates?

In other words, do we really need two forums?
    You are tapping into a lot of history. The other forum was around for a long time and contains an irreplaceable wealth of information, especially on the earlier cars. It started going downhill when the this forum was created and the other forum's owner sold his interest. It has(had) a real since of family that is slowly dissolving. A shame really. I left it over how they treated the paying vendors.

Is this one the "official" forum? yes. Do we need two? No we don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't get in. It recognizes nothing about me.....I'm washed up, a has been......15 years of my life and this is what I get....no kiss on the cheek. No, I love you......not even a gold watch to say "Thanks" or "Don't let the door hit on the *** on the way out" ! Oh the humanity! Standing on the outside looking in....LIKE A FAT KID IN FRONT OF A PASTERY STORE !!....really, I was a fat kid who stood in front of pastry stores so I know what I'm talkin about !!......da hasbeen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    I can't get in. It recognizes nothing about me.....I'm washed up, a has been......15 years of my life and this is what I get....no kiss on the cheek. No, I love you......not even a gold watch to say "Thanks" or "Don't let the door hit on the *** on the way out" ! Oh the humanity! Standing on the outside looking in....LIKE A FAT KID IN FRONT OF A PASTERY STORE !!....really, I was a fat kid who stood in front of pastry stores so I know what I'm talkin about !!......da hasbeen
    J.Hasbeen, it's probably because you're not using a password that:
    is longer than the National Anthem contains numbers, symbols, caps, hieroglyphics, Swahili, French, Polish and Roman numerals + my Aunty's birthdate!
    Yes it's a royal pain in the tush but I was able to get in, reset my password, etc.

FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    There's Another Factory Five Forum?

All kidding aside, I never could get on it and just figured they didn't want me since my car will be Mighty Mouse Powered!

Ya'll Have A Great Weekend!
    Like Mike said, there's way more history on the other site, particularly when it comes to Roadsters and Coupes and configurations that aren't "in" at the moment, like 4.6 modular engines. Also a much more active Classifieds section and for paying members, a closed "hangout" forum where discussions of any nature are allowed, which would typically be quickly closed and get you banned elsewhere.

For newer 33 and especially 818 topics, this forum has much more traffic.

Personally I think there's a place for both to coexist. The problem with a manufacturer supported site is the high prevalence of "kool aid drinkers". And yes, that does happen with this site!

Post Thanks / Like
    The parent company of that site, Vertical Scope, got hacked. They own HUNDREDS of sites. They had all their sites do all the passwords over. I'm not on too many forums but 5 I use are owned by them. I'm a mod on one of the hacked sites & we had some issues with a few resets, but not very many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
    Like Mike said, there's way more history on the other site, particularly when it comes to Roadsters and Coupes and configurations that aren't "in" at the moment, like 4.6 modular engines. Also a much more active Classifieds section and for paying members, a closed "hangout" forum where discussions of any nature are allowed, which would typically be quickly closed and get you banned elsewhere.

For newer 33 and especially 818 topics, this forum has much more traffic.

Personally I think there's a place for both to coexist. The problem with a manufacturer supported site is the high prevalence of "kool aid drinkers". And yes, that does happen with this site!
    I disagree, and you are therefore banned.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just kidding!

Post Thanks / Like
    That right there was funny. At least as funny as is allowed around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    That right there was funny. At least as funny as is allowed around here.
    Yep...David had me really chuckling with that response...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    "Morerumplease" is not an acceptable password.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Just kidding!

Man, dodged a bullet!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason for the forced passwords at 'the other site' is that the company that now owns it (VerticalScope) had a security breech that resulted in 45 million usernames/passwords for 1100 web forums being compromised. If you use the same username/password for any automotive sites you should probably consider changing them all -- ideally to something unique per site.

I'm disappointed in how VerticalScope is communicating this to their users -- specifically the lack of communication. They're issuing forced password resets with vague mention of a security issue but no details. You have to dig to come up with a press release at the parent company website (http://www.verticalscope.com/about-u...ty-update.html) or do a google search for "verticalscope security breach"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast