FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Conversion from Fuel Injection to Carburetor

Post Thanks / Like

Conversion from Fuel Injection to Carburetor

I recently converted my MK 4 from fuel injection to carburetor and find that my FFR speedometer does not support a mechanical cable drive from the transmission. Please advise of a new speedometer part number for my order or other fix.

Thanks,

Deane Beck
    [email protected]
    F5R1007267RD

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not Factory Five Tech (obviously...) but will offer a response. Well mostly questions. It's not clear to me how switching from EFI to carb has anything to do with a speedo cable. Your EFI PCM may have had a speed sensor input, but that can be left disconnected. There should also have been a speed sensor connection to your speedo that should still work. Assuming it's a Ron Francis harness. If a donor harness (or something else) it could be wired differently though. Do you know what gauges you have? There haven't been gauges with an actual speedo cable for some time. Most are electronic only. Also, what transmission do you have? That makes a difference in what speed sensors are available.

You should be able to get this to work without switching the speedo and adding a mechanical cable drive, which isn't really a desirable thing to do anyway.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-24-2016 at 07:49 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.