BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sorry I have to vent

Post Thanks / Like

sorry I have to vent

So far I am very happy I chose ffr mark 4 kit. But I have come across a few things that became major problems that wouldn't have been a problem at all if only ffr had addressed them in the manual. The first problem I faced was the donor control arms. The tie rods made contact with the springs. This could have been totally avoided had ffr given measurements on where to drill the shock mounting hole. I drilled the hole just as they showed in a picture and that didn't work. I spent many hours redoing the lower control arms. The latest problem is the steering shaft is making contact with the motor. I didn't discover the problem until I have connected all power steering lines and everything else in the engine compartment. I was hoping to start the engine this weekend. Well after I discovered that the steering shaft was contacting the engine I called ffr about the problem and asked how I should fix it. The tech said oh you must have the 4cam 4.6 liter. Well when I ordered the car I said I was using the4cam 4.6. Now I'm looking at spending a whole day correcting a problem that could been so easily avoided. Sorry about venting to u guys but my wife won't lent me vent to her lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its ok to come here and vent

Post Thanks / Like
    Venting is vital to completing this project. I truly understand the frustrations associated with a build. With a build like this we know that there will be some complications and invariably become irritated with them. I am still not done with mine but the progress of others keeps me motivated. Send me a PM and we can meet up in the Minneapolis area and laugh over a beer at our frustrations.

-Bill
    FFR MK4 #8849. 2015 Coyote, 2015 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying that there are no build threads with that engine and how the issue was resolved? or are you saying that you expect the build manual to be custom tailored to the choices you have made? Or are you saying that you expected the build to go without any problems? Also, why do you consider the items you mentioned to be Major Problems? Is it possible that the build may have gone smoother if you had done more research?

By the way, you have a smart wife

Post Thanks / Like
    this might help.

image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I guarantee you will encounter many more such frustrations before you are fully done. You are building a car, not assembling IKEA furniture. The corollary is that FFR have to try to anticipate dozens of variations around hundreds of parts, much unlike IKEA who can specify the assembly of their products to a far greater degree. I am certainly not an apologist for FFR having criticized them plenty on the other forum, but neither do I expect them to be perfect.

Sorry but that's just the unvarnished truth. If you accept that there will be setbacks and frustrations along the way, you'll better enjoy the process and build a better product.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you searched on the "other" forum? There is a TON of information and I'm sure it's already been addressed and resolved.

Good luck with the build, there will be more challenges, but they are all fixable and will be worth it in the end.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Have you searched on the "other" forum? There is a TON of information and I'm sure it's already been addressed and resolved.
    True enough!
    The manuals don't provide all the answers, but fortunately there is lots of help available.
    Whenever I was about to start in on a particular area of the build, I would do some research on the subject, (on the FFCars forum), before I started. It saved me hours of potential grief and frustration, and I believe made my build far better overall. If I couldn't find what I wanted using the "search" option, a query posted would usually have a response within a very short period of time, by several experienced individuals, offering solutions.

Your issue with using donor control arms, and the tie rods hitting the shock, for example, was corrected with simple solutions. First purchase OEM Ford steering rack limiters, and install them on the inner steering rack. This would limit how hard the front wheel/hub could be cranked. (This can also help prevent tire rub on the F panel).

Then, cut new shock mounting bolt spacers/collars. Using a longer spacer at the front, a shorter one at the rear. This would move the shock/spring back just enough, and combined with the steering rack limiters, there would no longer be any contact. You can usually buy the tubing locally, but FFR sent me (some back in the day) simply for the asking. This picture was one way that a builder did it. I'm sure it would work fine, but one collar on either side of the shock, looks a tad more professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I often had to repeat...... "some assembly required."

But, in the end, it's sooooooo worth it - you get to do this.......

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    if your not venting, your not building. Vent away my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vent away. It's the internet, so you will get pats on the shoulder and kicks in the rear.

Remember that the manual is a guide rather than a cookbook and that these are hand built cars. If the manual covered everything in every possible combination, you would be paying a lot more more for the kit. They would have to have a full time technical writer and constantly be reprinting manuals. While not blazing a new trail, the 4.6L 4cam is not the most common engine.

Post the solution for the next guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not come across one thing that has caused me to vent, besides fomoco being so insane with different parts for the same engines
    Mk4 # 8834 delivered 03/20/16 2015 IRS wildwood brake upgrade, 18"x9" front 18"X11" rear halibrand wheels, 390 FE, tko600

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there!

When we came up against issues where a supplied part or donor part didn't quite work and the manual was a bit vague; we reminded our selves that 'Well, we did decide to build our own car.'

In the end you'll adapt and overcome, and it will be soo worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup venting will happen and is all part of the build process. You shall overcome and once all done as Chris stated, well worth it.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I built my last Cobra I found that most parts of the build where re done multiple times.
    It's really frustrating but makes the completed (are they ever completed?) car so more satisfying.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks AC Bill I actually did just what was shown in the pic u posted. I also bought the offset steering rack mounts from breeze which I am in the process of trying to get on now, I think that will get the steering shaft separated enough from the engine, I hope anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have vented, learned new swear words and also lost a finger nail. All part of the build process.
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've hit many SNAFUs...each time I took it as an opportunity to learn more about my car. I don't think any build goes perfect. But after my first start last month, I could not be more proud of doing it myself. Adapt and overcome is my mantra. When Factory Five first came out, I had been writing to Cobra replica car kit manufactures for some time. Every year I would ask/get an FFR brochure and lust over it like a 14 year old and a Playboy magazine. But I kept talking myself out of it because I didn't think I had the skills and abilities. Almost pulled the trigger on a MK3.1...but didn't. Finally I ordered one with my wife's prodding and never regretted it. I didn't have all the skills, but developed them and learned from the posts of senior members and builders. Really has been my sole "Bucket List" endeavor and a legacy to leave to my kids when I'm gone. I still randomly go out in the garage just to look at her and pinch myself! And she still doesn't have her body on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    When I built my last Cobra I found that most parts of the build where re done multiple times.
    To help prevent that, you always need to think, at minimum, three steps ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got mine to kart stage... Believe me it's a blast now I'm dying to get it done
    Mk4 # 8834 delivered 03/20/16 2015 IRS wildwood brake upgrade, 18"x9" front 18"X11" rear halibrand wheels, 390 FE, tko600

Post Thanks / Like
    Feeling great tonight, got the offset bushings {from breeze} for the steering rack on today and everything back together. They moved the rack over enough so that the steering shaft is no longer touching the engine, and it also moved the tie rods a little farther forward so the tie rods making contact with the springs is no longer an issue. Working on electrical now so hopefully I'll be able to start it soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good news, All is well!
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by clancypm View Post
    Feeling great tonight, got the offset bushings {from breeze} for the steering rack on today and everything back together. They moved the rack over enough so that the steering shaft is no longer touching the engine, and it also moved the tie rods a little farther forward so the tie rods making contact with the springs is no longer an issue. Working on electrical now so hopefully I'll be able to start it soon.
    That's actually very good info for new builders, who may be using donor lower control arms, and for those installing the 4V- 4.6 engine.
    Perhaps this could be noted in the WIKI-Build section? Perhaps David will see this post...
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010