FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wheelbase?

Post Thanks / Like

Wheelbase?

Given that the first step is to square up the thrust line, anybody have a wheelbase, axle center to center that they're happy with? Just want a good start on tires equal in the wheel arches and good panel gaps. Thanks.
    Last edited by cmcintyre; 06-28-2016 at 07:31 AM.
    " That which is rightly done, however humble, is noble." Sir Henry Royce

SN 46 In the building 10/4/13.
    Go Cart 10/20/16
    Coupe Conversion
    EJ205 Wagon donor

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump.

Go Cart 10/20/16
    Coupe Conversion
    EJ205 Wagon donor

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, can't help you with a measurement that would be exact enough to be useful. The track width is different front to rear which makes it more difficult to measure.

What I can say is that I, and many others, took the approach of simply ensuring our rear trailing arms (if you have adjustable trailing arms) are adjusted to stock length. The front control arms are not adjustable front to rear so you can consider them fixed. To center the wheels in the fender openings, you move the body and not the wheels. Shift the side sail front to rear until the rear wheel lines up. If you do that, hopefully the front wheels end up centered too because the front fender is meant to be bolted in a specific spot to the side sail. Some have adjusted the front fenders by shifting them fore and aft a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight gives good advice. I don't recall doing much at all to try to center the wheels in the wheel wells, but the fronts came out fine. Most of the body positioning is limited by factors relating to the frame and simply getting all the panels to fit with each other. The various links in the rear gave more adjustability, as I remember, but there's no reason I can think of to worry about it until the car is essentially completely assembled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. I'll build my string square and start the alignment from there. I can see this will be an "iterative" process, just coming back and checking setup over and over til you get as close as possible with everything. The guys at QuickTrick have been helpful as well...

Go Cart 10/20/16
    Coupe Conversion
    EJ205 Wagon donor