Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Large Drivers

Post Thanks / Like

Question Large Drivers

It was suggested I could use this forum in order to find a large Daytona Coupe Type 65 owner that has been successfully building a Type 65 with seats etc. that allows occupancy by a big person.
    My first objective before I can start is to see if I can get in.
    I am 6'3" tall and 295 lbs.
    Anyone know an owner this size? I can lose weight but I cannot shrink. Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can fit but there are a few mods that help some. I am 6'3" and 260.Give me a call and I would be happy to talk to you about it.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Rick Anderson is the expert on how to do this, we've done the necessary mod on several cars. I'll send you a PM with all his info and a URL for a blog on how it's done.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome

I made some significant changes to my type65 which include lowering then entire driver floor 2 inches. When I say "I", I actually mean Mark Doughtery, the traveling builder. he dropped my floor, and made "some big boy mods" to the kirkey, seats, etc. Now the interior is spacious, and actually feels like a production car. I would recommend you contact him if you need assistance in doing this, otherwise I'll post some pics and you can start cutting and welding. with regards to these mods weakening the frame, they don't. with the addition of the vertical plate on the trans tunnel I suspect it is even stronger.

Mike M.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3019.JPGIMG_3113.JPGIMG_3014.JPG
    if this doesn't work then mark will have to show you the pics.
    Mike M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoen View Post
    IMG_3019.JPGIMG_3113.JPGIMG_3014.JPG
    if this doesn't work then mark will have to show you the pics.
    Mike M.
    Mike, Thx I will get to Mark Doughtery and welcome any help and pictures I can get.

Hank, I will get to Rick Anderson as well.

Gordon, I will be in touch with you.

My other problem is my wife. We have a 2000 C5 Corvette and although my wife loves the car, she complains about having to climb in and out of it. My hope is the Type 65 will be no more difficult.

There is no doubt that corvettes are the "American Sports Car" but I go with my friend to car shows with 400 other corvettes . . . .boring.

I live in Michigan and hope to find someone within 500 miles that will let her sit in one. After that I am sure I can convince her that the "Cool Factor" associated with the Type 65 exceeds the corvette.

I have always wanted to build something from the ground up and the Build school is right here in Michigan. (Mott Community College)

I tend to plan things out before jumping in and this will be no exception.

Thanks gentlemen.

Herb H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Herb,

I think that unfortunately you are going to lose on the Coupe vs Corvette accessibility contest. Coupes are not especially easy to get in and out of and the harness is not as easy as a regular seatbelt.
    HOWEVER
    The cool factor definitely outweighs by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.
    Build it first then have her figure out how to get in and out!!

Good luck, hope you will join us.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Herb,

Here's the blog series.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/entry...lding-a-Legend

It looks like Karen might have moved the pictures(Pictures are back up), contact Rick for more information. If Mark Doughtery is able to help you, He's my first pick after Rick, and Mark has real world experience with this mod.

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 06-30-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Making space isn't the issue, getting in and out is.
    Theres a certain process to it and everyone does it a bit different. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy but it will never be easier than a Vette due to the smaller door space you have to go through.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I face the same issue. I'm 6'4" and 280 (working on that last bit).

There are extensive modifications that we are building into our vehicle for fitment. First, the engine is being pushed forward along with extension of the foot-boxes and a push forward of the dash. This push forward will allow for more foot space (my size 14s don't like the current boxes) as well as more space between the back of the seat and the steering wheel. I have seen some posts/vids where people hack into the floor to gain another inch or two of height, but fortunately most of my height is in my legs so I don't have to bother with that step.

Another benefit of pushing the engine forward is that I can narrow the transmission tunnel - not by much, but enough to add another inch or so to the width of the seating area. 1 inch doesn't sound like much.....but it is. ALSO we will be able to push the top of the firewall out to make more room for the HVAC tubing and wiring in the dash - might even get an actual glove box out of the deal (maybe not).

The Type-65 is a good candidate for the engine placement change (if you have the engineering skills and guts to hack into the frame). Even pushing the engine as much as 4.5 inches, it still remains behind the front wheels and will not adversely affect the balance of the car. If you look at Superformance coupes, they have the engine much further ahead, about where we are looking to place it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any body know a big guy car I can sit in within a couple hundred miles of Detroit????
    There is a dinner out in it for whomever????

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in London Ontario - not far. The car build is just starting, but if you want to test fit in the chassis and take measurements I'm sure we can figure something out.

EDIT - actually, the chassis is going to live in Cambridge Ontario - still not a massive drive if you're up for it.
    Last edited by SingleMaltWSKY; 06-30-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, I have been planning to go to Niagara falls this summer. Looks like it would be easy enough to stop by. Have to set a date with the wife. Any time " not" good for you?
    Let's get together. Would love your feed back on the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PewterC5 View Post
    You know, I have been planning to go to Niagara falls this summer. Looks like it would be easy enough to stop by. Have to set a date with the wife. Any time " not" good for you?
    Let's get together. Would love your feed back on the whole thing.
    My father and I have scheduled "build" days, those would be the best for showing up and checking things out (generally weekends). Let me know what part of the summer you might do the whole Niagara thing and I can see about making it work. 3rd week of August is out for sure.