FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wheel clearances with Wilwood setup

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel clearances with Wilwood setup

Hi all,
    Trying to buy wheels for my 33, keep running into walls. I have the Wilwood system from FFR (13" x 6 piston front) and rears with internal parking brake, (8.8 rear, 59 1/2" w) and was going to run full fenders. I tried going through a shop in NJ, filled out the dimension forms, and all they came back with after 3 weeks is "they say you need custom wheels". I am looking for a Torq Thrust look, 5 spoke polished. Any recommendations are appreciated, I asked Tire Rack for assistance but have not yet heard back after submitting those dimensions. Custom wheels are not in the budget at this point.
    Thanks for any help,
    tommy23t

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the bike fenders and test fit them with my tire & wheel combo (but may run without fenders). My fronts are American Racing Torque Thrust II #VN8158965 with Toyo Proxes R888 255/35ZR18 & rears are the same wheel but in a 10" wide (fronts are 9") #VN8158165 with Proxes R888315/30ZR18 tires. Back spacing on the wheels are 5.0" front & 5.74" rear. Tire dims are 25" did x 10.04" section width on front & 25.2" did x 12.4" section width on the rear. I have the optional Wilwood brakes all the way around and a Mustang 8.8 rear end. The rear has c-clip eliminators and forged axels but I believe the width dimensions are the same as OEM. Tires & wheels fit but I have lifted the body 1" in the rear so on your car the same size tire will be very close to hitting the fender in the rear. My rear axel width hub to hub without brakes is 59.125" and with the Wilwood brakes is 59.375. The rear track with on my tire/wheel combo is 59". The The front wheels weigh 20.4lbs and the rears 21.3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you NAZ for the very detailed information, much appreciated. I thought that going to 18s would work, needed confirmation. Will go that route.
    tommy23t

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have also mentioned that you may have to cut out part of the inner fender well (integral to the body) for rear parking brake clearance regardless of which wheel / tire combo is used.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a weird arrangement, down at the 7-8:00 position, but Wilwood confirmed that is correct, but the caliper should be bled with the bleeder up, which I am assuming I take it off and hold it on the top of the rotor during that process. I think it should clear, I did have the body on and saw no interference, but then again, wasn't looking there.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    -Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I forgot that I installed mine at 1:00 & 11:00 and that's what required trimming the fender wells. If I recall, the mounting brackets for a stock 8.8 install on the OB side of the bearing flange and mine I had to adapt to the IB side because of the c-clip eliminators. I'm made so many mods to this car I have trouble remembering them all.