FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fan Sensor

Post Thanks / Like

Fan Sensor

After 1500 miles of cool operation, my fan is not coming on until the temp reaches 100c. Everything seems in order coolant wise so all roads are leading to the sensor itself. Does anyone know the part number of this thing? Surely I can pick one up at the local auto parts store.

-Fred

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 3.48.39 PM.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Take it to any parts store. They should be able to match it up. Just make sure the temp range is what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fred!
    You have a grounding switch like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-75029/overview/

This particular one turns on at 185F and off at 165 which should be a good match for your carbed engine. Not sure what stat you have but I'd suggest a 180. As I said last weekend I really recommend that you install a manual override switch for some "just in case" piece of mind.

BTW, did you guys cut out after leaving downtown London? I didn't find the car or you at the dinner or hotels. Good to see you again and thanks for letting me use your car as an example

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the one! I knew you'd come through.

We left London about 2:00 PM and went back to the Holiday Inn. Your car was in from of the Fairfield and mine dead center in front of the Holiday Inn. Next year I'll do a better job of coordinating to hook up with you and other folks as well.

IMG_0069.JPGIMG_0071.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

Replacing the switch did the trick. My fan is back to operating the way it was intended.

Thanks...

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a reliable way to test the switch? Immersion in hearing water with continuity meter attached? Mine never has acted right and fan never came on right (I wired manual switch in when I built as a backup) and I want to fix it when I rebuild the motor this month. I'm thinking I need a lower temp one maybe (like linked above) and pipe dope instead of tape (Yeah I should have known better). It worked when I first setup but hasn't since.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    How well does the 185 deg switch work. I have avoided it because, since it turns off at 165-170, I thought it would always be on after the first fan start. Figuring the engine will never get to 165-170 w/ a 180 deg t-stat.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't answer that just yet. After installing the sensor most of my time was spent in the driveway with a few trips around the block. Once the temp was up and it was cycling on and off I put it back in the garage. I'll be out this weekend and get a better handle on how it works.

-Fred

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Fred!
    You have a grounding switch like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-75029/overview/

This particular one turns on at 185F and off at 165 which should be a good match for your carbed engine. Not sure what stat you have but I'd suggest a 180. As I said last weekend I really recommend that you install a manual override switch for some "just in case" piece of mind.

BTW, did you guys cut out after leaving downtown London? I didn't find the car or you at the dinner or hotels. Good to see you again and thanks for letting me use your car as an example

Jeff
    Jeff,

If I just ground it out can I assume that it will stay on with the key?
    The engine will soon be in and I live down South where it is always pretty warm.

Steve / aka: GoDadGo

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve that will be fine as long as the power is coming from a switched source. Only potential problem I see is if you get into a hard start situation such as a cold morning. That fan draws a lot of current to be on at the same time you are cranking the engine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm using the Ron Francis Harness so I'm not sure if it is ahead or behind the switch.
    The drivetrain still isn't in so I just don't know.
    Thanks-O-Million!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just put a manual toggle switch in parallel with the thermostatic sensor. I do this on all of my builds and it allows the fan to be controlled automatically or by the driver (useful in heavy traffic situations, etc. to be able to turn it on early before the thermo switch activation point when you know that the temp will be rising).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff says. Did that on mine and it works great.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.