BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yet another opportunity for learning

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another opportunity for learning

Two issues here: first - whether I upload my photos right side up or upside down, they come out upside down. What's up with that? Obviously, I am photographically challenged... Photos were taken on an iphone, emailed to myself, saved to hard drive, then uploaded to forum gallery. Finally, I got tired of screwing around trying to get them to show up correctly, so hopefully you can right them in your mind. I'm not asking you to stand on your head, although if you find that entertaining, go right ahead.

On to the issue at hand. Two (upside down) photos here. The fill plug on my IRS center section is not cooperating with my attempts to remove it. What I have done so far:
    a) tried a breaker bar: no movement.
    b) WD-40 then a breaker bar: no movement.
    c) scratch off paint from around the plug, WD-40, Impact wrench: no movement.
    d) (latest attempt) WD-40, compressed air spray (keyboard cleaner), Impact wrench: no movement. (after a minute or so, the can freezes up and no more cold air comes out...)

Upon close inspection, you'll see that the edges are starting to wear. Not good. Obviously, I want to get this thing off without completely stripping the plug. Any suggestions on next steps?

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Give it a coupl good whacks with a hammer, then use a heavy duty impact, to go forward and reverse. I have an impact that does 440 lb/ft in reverse, 220 tighten. Most cheap impacts don't go over 100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heat.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Heat.

Jeff
    ^^^This.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Heat.

Jeff
    Yep, I 2nd, no 3rd this. A propane torch will get it loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get it as hot as you can w/ whatever you have available. Let it cool for 20 minutes. Heat again and let cool. The expansion/contraction helps break the rust free. As it cools the second time, start spraying w/ PB Blaster which is a better penetrant than WD40 and fairly readily available.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    What they said, heat.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    With regards to the pictures. I have the same issue. Iphone and Windows 10

Here is what I do.

Email photos to myself
    Save to a folder
    Open each photo with "paint"
    Rotate photo 180 degrees then again to what appears to be proper orientation
    "Save as jpeg" to same folder with whatever title you want

It will upload properly from then on. No idea what the heck is up with Apple and Microsoft but this works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Al-

I agree with all those that say heat, and second Craig's suggestion of using PB spray! PB spray is really quite good at penetrating deeply, and helping free up parts.

I also want to add this. I don't know if you have a small impact tool that you hit with a hammer. It is appropriately called a manual impact driver. Sears sells it here: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...p-00947641000P Basically, it converts your hit into rotary motion. I use this in situations like yours, and it works really well. Nevertheless, if you have one, or access to one, give it a try. I find it more useful than even my very strong pneumatic, and any breaker bar I have ever tried.

I am not sure if this helps you in any way, but hopefully it has.

Good luck!

Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by WIS89; 07-03-2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Found the name of the tool, so fixed the post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Al,

You're welcome to my Milwaukee impact again..... 1100 ft.lbs. of torque will usually get just about anything loose.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys! My impact wrench is rated at 325 lbs., for what it's worth (Makita). That should be enough torque. It blew me away that it didn't take it off. The propane torch is next. May not get a chance to do that until later in the week, but I'll let you know what happens.

CDXXVII - you're right: Windows 10. Never had a problem until I upgraded. I believe that odd-numbered Windows products worked better...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount