Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gas Guage Not Reading above empty

Post Thanks / Like

Gas Guage Not Reading above empty

I am just finishing up on my Hot Rod and have not been able to get my gas gauge to read above empty. I don't have much gas in the tank, and when I added more the gauge moved up from just under empty to empty. Any suggestions? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you resolve the problem? I have a Boyds tank and have a similar problem. Added 5 gallons and reads just above E. Tried grounding the sending unit with no change. Body coming off next week and will pull sending unit for testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read that the voltage is not right for the gage that come with the kit. may need different voltage gage.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the Boyd tank if it is the same my tank You need a 0 empty 90 ohm. full .The FFR gauges will not work.

Post Thanks / Like
    pulled the sending unit this morning and checked the function. Ohm readings vary from nearly 0 empty to 98 full so I'd say the sending unit is fine. Yes, I have the 0-90ohm gauge, got it from Summit. wiring looks fine but will verify once I get the body back on. Not sure how to test the gauge out of the circuit. Suggestions??

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also having a problem with the fuel gage. With the sender unit out of the tank, moving the float up or down causes the gage to go from empty to full. But, and here is the problem, as soon as I touch the tank with the sender unit the gage drops pass empty. The tank is grounded to the frame. We got a new sender unit from FFR, but it still has the same problem. Has anyone had this problem and more importantly how did you fix it.

As always, Thank you for any and the help with this problem, Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to insult your intelligence here, but are you sure you have the sender wired properly? Obviously, the positive (green) sender wire must somehow be grounding when the sender touches the tank (and hence, the frame ground.) So either the wires are backwards or the connector is not insulated properly. Right?
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."