Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is anyone running a TMIC on an 818S?

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone running a TMIC on an 818S?

Considering a build and I really need to get a budget in place.

Weekend spirited driving and an occasional auto cross.

Any suggestions other then going to AWIC?

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been told by more than one FFR employee that they have found the best solution to be air to air with the stock OE intercooler perfectly adequate for stock hp applications. If you want more hp, you will need front mounted air-to-air, if you believe what FFR is saying. I have no reason to not believe. I am planning to run the stock TMIC with stock engine (no mods), and so will know firsthand soon enough.

Good luck with your budget planning! It is a fun car to build.

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    That's good to know, can always upgrade to a sti intercooler. I would probably add the zero decibel motorsports hump vents to let some of the hot air out.

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    The difficulty with the TMIC is managing airflow. The R&S body panels and location of the IC don't give a lot of flexibility for this. The TMIC needs a pressure differential between the top (inlet) and bottom (outlet) to draw air across the IC core. In the WRX location the large hood scoop provides this.

The location of the IC on the 818 with a windshield in place does not really generate a large volume of air going into the factory provided inlet ducting (watch the video on windtunnel testing). If you have the side cut outs it's worse since air is forced into the engine bay creating a higher pressure in there than the IC ducting above can overcome.

In my build we had trouble with dyno testing with no windshield and a large fan blowing at the front of the car over the radiator. Worse, the engine put out a ton of heat when running under load. We had to put a second fan directly on the IC to deal with the heat.

Many builds have found that trying to use a stock (or STI) IC in the FFR location with the S or R bodywork is difficult to get working well.
    Last edited by mikeb75; 07-12-2016 at 07:28 AM.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR now has ducts from the side vents to the TMIC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an aftermarket top mount http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8C-build/page2. Its 20in long and 7in Thick. It fits perfect if you ever upgrade to a C. I am planning to run 2 spal fans to help suck in fresh air. You may also be able to put this core by the transmission if you get crafty enough in the S.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do the new FFR pieces look like?

If you use my hump vents with the original FFR "ducts" (they weren't really ducts, being only 2 sides of a full 4 sided box), it will vent pressure off the "ducts" and away from the TMIC. If you want A2A either do what RM1Sepex did (A2A in side vent), make a plenum for the top fed with hoses (lots of professional race teams do this), or completely seal the front of the engine bay separating the front/back of the intercooler (hard to do given that the engine moves relative to the bay).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information, I have even more questions now.
    So is FFR taking both side vents to a plenum above the intercooler? is there to much turbulence from air from both sides?

I guess this is why most are switching to an AWIC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody have pics. or more info of FFR's ducts from the side vents? Never heard about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett33 View Post
    Thanks for the information, I have even more questions now.
    So is FFR taking both side vents to a plenum above the intercooler? is there to much turbulence from air from both sides?

I guess this is why most are switching to an AWIC.
    I haven't seen the latest setup. Their original setup (when I got my car in 2013) was a few pieces of sheet metal with a right angle bend that was supposed to channel air in, turn 90 degrees inward, then turn 90 degrees through the IC. Because the sheet metal only had two sides air wasn't really directed through the IC very well.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony is using them on his R http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ttle-WA/page11 #411 I believe they are the ducts that FFR designed for the 818C.

My power level is modest (275hp) the solution I have come up with (similar to what FFR has done on the Blue R) I don't believe this is a solution for a S I think what Tony is doing would be worth a good look. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-arrived/page5 #163
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 07-12-2016 at 11:20 AM.