Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New guy preparing to take the plunge soon... Maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

New guy preparing to take the plunge soon... Maybe?

I'm Nate from Gardner, KS and while I've been reading here for years and finally decided to join up and start posting.

I've been toying with the idea of building a roadster for about 15 years now, but marriage, a deployment, building a house, another deployment, a new career, having a daughter, building another home, second daughter, another deployment, making a few screen accurate Star Wars costumes, building an Astromech and just life in general has kept me busy enough that I just haven't had the time. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't trade the years leading up to where I am at now for anything.

I think I've finally decided to take the plunge. My wife would rather I build an 818 because it is "cuter" but I just don't think I can budge on my dream of building a Cobra. I'll likely do a complete kit with a new Coyote but I'm still weighing all the pros/cons. I certainly like the idea of having all new parts coming from as few sources as possible as I'd rather spend my time building than hunting for parts so the extra money that the complete kit may potentially cost is worth it to me. I don't really have a time frame, but I'd like to at least have a kit in my shop by my 40th birthday in 2.5 years although it's looking like I may just order it the next time there is a good sale.

It's been a few years since I've done any auto mechanic work, but I have plenty of experience building, maintaining, troubleshooting and fixing cars/trucks/helicopters so I don't think the build will be a huge challenge but it I still expect it to be a great experience. I'll be using this as a chance to teach my daughters a bit more about working on cars and with their hands in general. They've really enjoyed working on other projects and are already helping me get the garage/shop ready for a bigger project.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My suggestion is to do the MK-4 or the 289 FIA because those kits is really well refined compared to their others since they are Factory Five's bread and butter. Also, consider getting the manual, I suggest the hard cover, and read it a few times. Check outt the assembly video's a few times too. Doing both will familiarize you with the process and make your build go a lot easier. In addition, take look at the builds of guys who have done several.

When you order your kit, make sure that you pic a power plant that you feel confident that you can wire and service. Don't waiver too far from the manual and your build will go well. Just understand that if you go off the deep end and do an alternate power plant and transmission that is not supported by Factory Five, then you will be in charge of your own destiny on that aspect of the build.

Just stay within your abilities, which will expand as you build your car, and you'll be surprised at the outcome.

Finally, be patient since Rome was not built in a day.

Good Luck & God's Speed In Your Quest!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-13-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips.

I do have a MK3 manual that I've had for quite a few years and also the PDF of the MK4 and have watched all the build videos. I'll probably go ahead and order a bound MK4 manual to flip through and give us something to talk about at work. As much as I'd love to do an alternate or oddball powerplant I really don't want to do much fabrication so I'll likely be sticking with a Coyote unless an older ford motor falls in my lap.

I may even do the build school if I can talk a buddy into going with me. Looks like it would be an enjoyable long weekend trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterfubar View Post

I may even do the build school if I can talk a buddy into going with me. Looks like it would be an enjoyable long weekend trip.
    Build school was definitely worth it for me. It really solidified my build plan. You can see and talk about many of the options and getting hands on time is invaluable. I have also gotten help from the instructors a couple times during my build way after class was over.

And yes, it was a lot of fun and great if you can go with someone. I took my father and son and it was a lifetime experience.

Good luck!
    Mk4 Roadster #8843. Kit Pickup: 03/19/2016
    Roush Performance 331 SRXE Crate Engine, TKO-600, 3-link rear, 17x9 and 17x10.5 Halibrand wheels w/ Nitto NT05 tires
    Doug's Mk4 Build Thread - Annapolis, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would have loved to have gone to the build school; however, funds have been quite tight to say the least.

It would have been a blast to go with my baby boy (See Pedro / Chevy Cobra's Motor Comes Home Gallery) but our oldest daughter's wedding, our youngest daughter's college and son's high school tuition pretty much did this Dad in.

If you can go to the school, then I say "Geaux, Geaux, Geaux!"
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-13-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I'm committed to doing IRS now, the first piece of the puzzle is here. Bit of an impulse buy, but I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Game On!

Factory Five has a sale going on right now that is about as good as it gets.

Might Want To Order That Kit Before It Ends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to? No, I definitely want to.

I might still need to convince the wife it's a good a time to order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Might want to? No, I definitely want to.

I might still need to convince the wife it's a good a time to order.
    I ordered my kit on 11/10/2014 and it came in on 01/27/2015, but I didn't have to pay for it until two or three weeks before the delivery.

That sale, per Dave Smith himself, was the best one they ever did because you either got $1,500.00 off a complete kit or $2,500.00 worth of goodies, but it excluded things like wheels, tops and a few other items. The one they are running right now is almost as good so don't miss out if you plan to go down the path of busted knuckles and empty wallets.

If she needs some convincing we can have your wife call my wife or vice versa.

Also, we're about to drop the driveline into our car in 2 to 3 weeks so it's almost show time for the Chevy Cobra!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-04-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nate, I am in the same boat as you. I have been wanting to build a cobra for the past 15 years as well. My wife feels the same way. I do a lot of mechanic work for friends and family at the house, now I am ready to to build my dream car. I am planning to attend the build school before I buy my car so I can get a better idea of what my action plan will be. I too am wanting to use the newer Coyote motor, especially since it has 435hp stock. Hopefully I will be able to go to build school in November or December so I can get started. I wanted to be able for my son and my father to work on build with me together since my father has Parkinson's he can't do much, but I figured he would enjoy spending the time with us even if it's just passing tools and having a beer. (Not with my son since he's 16) look forward to finding out if you're able to get started.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm Nate from Gardner, KS and while I've been reading here for years and finally decided to join up and start posting.

I've been toying with the idea of building a roadster for about 15 years now, but marriage, a deployment, building a house, another deployment, a new career, having a daughter, building another home, second daughter, another deployment, making a few screen accurate Star Wars costumes, building an Astromech and just life in general has kept me busy enough that I just haven't had the time. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't trade the years leading up to where I am at now for anything.

I think I've finally decided to take the plunge. My wife would rather I build an 818 because it is "cuter" but I just don't think I can budge on my dream of building a Cobra. I'll likely do a complete kit with a new Coyote but I'm still weighing all the pros/cons. I certainly like the idea of having all new parts coming from as few sources as possible as I'd rather spend my time building than hunting for parts so the extra money that the complete kit may potentially cost is worth it to me. I don't really have a time frame, but I'd like to at least have a kit in my shop by my 40th birthday in 2.5 years although it's looking like I may just order it the next time there is a good sale.

It's been a few years since I've done any auto mechanic work, but I have plenty of experience building, maintaining, troubleshooting and fixing cars/trucks/helicopters so I don't think the build will be a huge challenge but it I still expect it to be a great experience. I'll be using this as a chance to teach my daughters a bit more about working on cars and with their hands in general. They've really enjoyed working on other projects and are already helping me get the garage/shop ready for a bigger project.
    Sounds like you have the right attitude going into this. Find a forum member who lives near you or go visit a car show where you can show your wife a roadster up close and personal. When I pitched the idea to my GF, she just said "your going to build that? How soon before I can take a ride in it, it's cute". Uh yeah, whatever!

Post Thanks / Like
    and Gumball says it best in this thread.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-encouragement

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I'll be ordering my kit tomorrow or Monday.

Complete Kit
    Powdercoat
    Coyote Headers
    Body cutouts
    Original seats
    Coyote Power Steering
    IRS
    Modern Gauges
    Polished Sidepipes
    Heater? I'll likely go another route for this
    Vintage Wiper Kit
    Floor Mats
    Chrome Roll Bar
    Leather steering wheel
    Coyote Install kit.
    17" Halibrands(Maybe)

I'll be sourcing Visors and wind wings from Finish Line and still figuring out what I want to do for a few other items but I figure now is a good time to order with the current sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I'll be ordering my kit tomorrow or Monday.

... I figure now is a good time to order with the current sale.
    Nate-

I like your plan! I think you will enjoy building this car with your daughters, and have one pretty cool ride when you are done.

I suspect Factory Five may be closed on Monday for the Labor Day holiday, but not 100% certain. Might want to call during halftime today! ;-o)

Congratulations on the decision, and I hope to see lots of pictures on your build thread!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    What's halftime?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked, they ARE open on Monday, according to their Facebook page. Still, why wait?... HAHA

Post Thanks / Like
    If they aren't open, I'll place the order online and call them on Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Make sure to print a copy of your order.
    Good Luck & Welcome To The Party!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I'll be placing my order online today and calling them with a few questions tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not going to lie, pressing that order button was a bit anticlimactic. I was expecting dancing bears to come storming into my room with a cake, or at least a short scream from my wallet. Nope, none of that, the page just updates and says thanks, we'll contact you shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not going to lie, pressing that order button was a bit anticlimactic. I was expecting dancing bears to come storming into my room with a cake, or at least a short scream from my wallet. Nope, none of that, the page just updates and says thanks, we'll contact you shortly.
    Yeah, except now it's real!! A real car is going to show up in your garage, and all the dreaming and thinking and wishing, are going to turn into one wicked cool car!!

Anticlimactic perhaps, but only for a short while...

COngratulations, and welcome to the club!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Kit is ordered, deposit is paid, transportation has been booked with Stewart. Now the wait begins. I'm walking around with a silly grin.

Complete kit
    Powder Coat
    Body Cut outs
    Classic Seats
    Coyote Pwr Steer
    IRS
    17x9/10.5 Halibrands
    Stainless Exhaust
    Chrome Roll Bar
    Rollbar Grommets
    Coyote install kit

I'll likely be adding the vintage gauges, dash/glovebox, wipers and a few other items. I want see what other options I have before I get the FF stuff.

First half of January delivery.

I'll be buying a new TKO500 or 600 and trying to track down a good deal on a low mileage take-out Coyote motor.

I think I've already destroyed my budget, but that's part of every project I take on so I expected it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

That silly grin will turn to a knot in your stomach and then turn back into a silly grin again and again so get ready.
    Get your garage ready and make sure that you do a very detailed inventory when your kit comes in.
    If you don't already have a copy of the assembly manual, please consider getting one and read it at least once before your kit comes in.
    It is also a good idea to make a copy of the packing sheet and tape each sheet to the individual boxes so you know where each item is.
    Bind or staple the original packing sheet so you can look up the items you are working on and will know what box to look in
    Doing these things will will make a huge difference when you are doing the inventory and when you start the build.

Congratulations Once More!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-07-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I've been thumbing through a manual for years. The first time I bought a manual it was a Mk3, but I've had a Mk4 for a while now. While I've probably forgot most of what I read, it should come back to me quickly when I need it to.

I'll be getting the garage ready in the coming months. The 3rd bay in my garage is almost 2 cars deep and will be just about entirely devoted to the build so I think that should be enough room. I just need to get all of the extra R2 parts out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Congratulations!

That silly grin will turn to a knot in your stomach and then turn back into a silly grin again and again so get ready.
    Get your garage ready and make sure that you do a very detailed inventory when your kit comes in.
    If you don't already have a copy of the assembly manual, please consider getting one and read it at least once before your kit comes in.
    It is also a good idea to make a copy of the packing sheet and tape each sheet to the individual boxes so you know where each item is.
    Bind or staple the original packing sheet so you can look up the items you are working on and will know what box to look in
    Doing these things will will make a huge difference when you are doing the inventory and when you start the build.

Congratulations Once More!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you saw my workshop you'd laugh because it barely fits the car, but it's all good.
    Parts have been stored in my den and master bedroom.
    As boxes go away, my lovely better half jumps for joy.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the calm before the storm.

Congrats on your choice to purchase one finally. It won't be long before your eagerly anticipated dancing bears transform into several hundred loping ponies under the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    If you saw my workshop you'd laugh because it barely fits the car, but it's all good.
    Parts have been stored in my den and master bedroom.
    As boxes go away, my lovely better half jumps for joy.
    Congratulations Misterfubar! I look forward to following the details of your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Added a few more parts to my shelf. Picked up a midshift TKO600, bellhousing, clutch, starter and oil pan from Fortes, great service. Will definitely buy from him when I can. Also got a dirt cheap Intake, TB and injectors off a 2013 Mustang just in case I end up with a truck motor. Used Mustang motors are expensive enough that I can easily justify spending the grand or two extra to just go ahead and get a crate motor, but I haven't ruled out saving a bunch of money by going with a truck motor. I've found more than a few under 25K mile truck motors for under $2500. I'm read to jump on a great deal if it comes up.

Still trying to decide what headers I want, If I should just get them from FF, or look into my other options.

Also looking into heater options. I may have talked myself out of AC, but I'm still thinking I'll want a heater/defrost and heated seats. Looking into all my options now.

I'll probably pick up the wood to build my buck soon. I'll likely build it high enough to store the chassis under. My shop has the depth to store them front to back, but I don't want to give up that much floor space as I know I'll still have other projects to work on or repairs to make on my R2.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wired the money today. I can't seem to stop smiling for some odd reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit was loaded today and the driver says he's hoping to drop it off next Tuesday which just so happens to be my birthday. Not a bad present at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let the fun begin. I'll be inventorying and getting the body on the buck this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Congrats and what a great bday present. Enjoy getting started
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Let the fun begin!!!