BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2008 WRX Transmission Axle Issues

Post Thanks / Like

2008 WRX Transmission Axle Issues

I thought I read here about people putting 08+ WRX transmissions into 818's and I called Factory Five, no help there. I can't find anything in search. Andrew Tech automotive seemed to think I had one correct and one incorrect axle sent to me. I bought a pair of complete 2008 axles off amazon by a company that claims to only handle OEM rebuilts(called to verify). They came as a pair but one had and inner CV that worked on the FFR axle and one did not work. Are the axles different for 2008"s from left to right... or did they give me one OEM and one Non-OEM rebuilt? Am I crazy and 2008+ transmissions just don't work... I thought I read here we can get them to play ball?

1. "Remanufactured OEM" Inner has 23.60mm and 29 spline
    2. "Remanufactured OEM" Inner has 24.44mm and 30 spline
    3. Stock FFR WRX Axle
    4. Trans side CV from 1 that was put onto the FFR axle(yeah, it worked!)(This CV does have indentations in housing)
    5. Trans side CV from 2 that did not work (This CV does not have indentations in outer housing)

Both cv 4 and 5 appear to fit to fit in trans without issue. I did not plug them in all the way for fear of issues once i started scratching my head. The issue is the tri-lobe from 2 will not fit on the FFR axle, it is too large. Did this company send me 2 different axles, one OEM and one Aftermarket? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    i just ran into the same issue with an 06 and the FFR axle. i had to purchase a replacement for left front and the inner wont fit on the FFR axle. i was going to measure the axle on the replacement and if the same length use it, but wasnt sure if there would be any other issues doing that. how did you resolve? thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    i just ran into the same issue with an 06 and the FFR axle. i had to purchase a replacement for left front and the inner wont fit on the FFR axle. i was going to measure the axle on the replacement and if the same length use it, but wasnt sure if there would be any other issues doing that. how did you resolve? thx
    You need to use the FFR axles I believe. You can go to Subaru and Buy an OEM for $$$$$ or go to Napa and buy an OEM re-manufactured CV Shaft. The OEMs are the only ones that have matching splines and diameter. Another place to look is ebay for an OEM used. I got one for $35 bucks! You would have to research what the '06 CV housing and Shafts on OEMs looks like to be able to properly identify its a true OEM reman(without opening and possibly wasting your money) because a lot of business lie and say the are oem Remans when they are either aftermarket new or aftermarket remans. For instance the OEM '08-'10 CV housings have a circular shape with 3 concave indentations as seen in #4 of my post. The bogus axle in #5 did not work. See the difference! I do not know the tall tale markings in 2006 axles, sorry... I do know sometimes you are able to identify by the "shaft rings" in between the CV boots on some years. Run a search. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    time for junkyard or ebay at this point..thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a salvage yard and have at least 6 axles on the shelf what state are you in were are in ct