FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front/Rear Wiring Harness Exit Point/Harness Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Front/Rear Wiring Harness Exit Point/Harness Questions

I am getting to the wiring and am frustrated by the lack of quality of instruction in the manual. Questions are:

1) If I run the front harness like instructed, it does not reach the connector on the main harness. So, how is this routed?

2) It says to run the wires down to where the transmission tunnel is. I bought the first stage of the kit only so does that mean there is a hole that is not sealed at some point where these exit?

3) no EFI. So do I cut those or connect together?

4) Carb car with mechanical pump so I think the interia switch can be removed.

5) Bought the heater/AC and the wiring instructions for that are terrible.

6) Where does the alternator wiring ext? Same place as the front/rear harness?

7) I called about the starter solenoid and all they said was don't use it and use the one on the starter for the car. OK. So how is it wired and the wires are too short. I am guessing they exit the same way?

May parts of this kit are bad but the wiring is terrible. There should have been a firewall connector made that provides a seal and a clean installation of the front/engine bay wiring.

Any help would be appreciated. I am building tis with my 11 year old son and he loses interest when he can't help while I spend time interpreting the manual.

Craig

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    TTP

You may want to clarify a couple things like engine and starter style. There also
    Is a 3 question limit per post (just kidding) .
    Wiring instructions are a little lite but if you can follow the schematic and mark it up as you go along you will be happier down the road.
    As far as question 2 the book is clearly not written for separate stage purchase and the stages are not mutually exclusive so this is frustrating for some.
    For question 7 I just used the stud on the ford solenoid supplied as a terminal point so the harness could reach. I don't use the other side of the solenoid.
    There are 2 different tunnel styles, both require cutting for the harness. I agree a firewall plug would be awesome.
    Don't forget to use the tech help at FFR.

Good luck,
    EH

Post Thanks / Like

Same build, same setup, same issues!!!

Craig
    My build sounds almost identical to yours. I am also having the same technical issues that you have stated. I am also building my car with my (10 year old) son. Do you have any more answers to your questions?
    It seems as though many of the wires were cut short, while others are ridiculously long (oil pressure for example). My battery cable is 12" short and they kit does not even include the wire to run from the solenoid to the starter?? Did you use a solenoid even though FFR said to wire it straight?
    I have been dealing with my AC/Heat for the past month. Very frustrating and I agree with your frustration on the manual. I have called FFR 15+ times. To their credit they are always pleasant and give me advise, but for $20k you would think they would spend a week and completely re-write the manual to address the most common problems and update it to the current parts they are using in the kits. They run a build school every month...how hard would it be to pay a writer to go and write down the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Taking the Plunge View Post
    I am getting to the wiring and am frustrated by the lack of quality of instruction in the manual. Questions are:

1) If I run the front harness like instructed, it does not reach the connector on the main harness. So, how is this routed?

2) It says to run the wires down to where the transmission tunnel is. I bought the first stage of the kit only so does that mean there is a hole that is not sealed at some point where these exit?

3) no EFI. So do I cut those or connect together?

4) Carb car with mechanical pump so I think the interia switch can be removed.

5) Bought the heater/AC and the wiring instructions for that are terrible.

6) Where does the alternator wiring ext? Same place as the front/rear harness?

7) I called about the starter solenoid and all they said was don't use it and use the one on the starter for the car. OK. So how is it wired and the wires are too short. I am guessing they exit the same way?

May parts of this kit are bad but the wiring is terrible. There should have been a firewall connector made that provides a seal and a clean installation of the front/engine bay wiring.

Any help would be appreciated. I am building tis with my 11 year old son and he loses interest when he can't help while I spend time interpreting the manual.

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, I am actually scheduled for the next build class next month. I would be more than happy to bring up your questions if you can detail them specific to your application. Just pm me. I know this doesnt help you today, this week or even this month, but if you have a specific question, I'd be more than happy to hit them up while I'm at the class.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/