Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster wiring harness and ignition switch

Post Thanks / Like

Question Roadster wiring harness and ignition switch

Good morning FFF
    I'm building an Mk4 Roadster using a 1996 Mustang and basic kit. In order to keep the price down, I am trying to use ONLY donor parts. The motor is the fuel injected model, which I can't change. The engine is completely disassembled and at the machine shop for round boring, grinding, flattening, etc. The machine work should be ready this week; then I can start assembling it.

I'm completely confused and overwhelmed by the electrical wiring. I stare and stare at it, but it just lays there, laughing at me.

So far I've got the suspension, brakes, gas lines, gas tank, and lots of the sheet aluminum installed. I've assembled the dash using the stock mustang guages, which I cut up and mounted as described in the manual. It is not installed, and will probably need to be reworked.

I've snaked the million or so miles of wire, and mounted the under dash and engine compartment fuse panels. I've mounted the stock directional stalk, computer, and little black box on top of the passenger foot box.

I can't figure what to do about an ignition switch. For the life of me I can't find any reference to it in the build manual, other than with regards to the passive anti theft system; I have zip tied and taped the stock key to the stock ignition cylinder and the PATS ring, which will get plugged back into the under dash harness.

But what about an actual ignition switch. the kit didn't come with one, and the instructions don't seem to address the issue. I think I'm supposed to buy a universal 4 post switch - they're cheap, about $15 on Amazon for a dorman - but I'm not sure. Was there supposed to be a switch included in the kit? I know Factory Five sells one separately, but I didn't find one in the boxes or parts lists.

And once I have the switch, what do I do with 15 or so wires that were plugged into the ignition switch/block/plug that was on the original steering column (which I've thrown away.)

Once I figure this out, it will be smooth sailing. Right? Yeah, right.

Any help will be appreciated. But please don't tell me to buy the wiring harness from factory five; Like I said, I'm trying to keep the cost down by using only donor parts.

Thanks

Joel Hauser

Post Thanks / Like
    one option is to use the mustang key and switch assembly, just mount it under dash. No additional switches and wiring needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe not, I forgot the switch was in the column. You may need to buy a basic ignition switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing a basic switch is what I need, too. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for converting the stock switch connector that has about a dozen wires, to a simple, 4 post universal switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have rec'd a ignition switch from FFR..least it used to come with the kits, even the basic kit had it when I bought mine.

You need to have the Ford OEM wiring schematics from the same year as your donor wiring, to really figure it all out. An EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual), would be nice to have. You should be able to strip a lot of excess un-needed wiring from the donor harness.

If.. and more likely when.. you patience runs out, there is a fellow, who diets donor harness's for you. Once he's done with it, you basically just have to attach it to the car, and plug it all in. The harness's are cut to the correct length, labeled, all the connectors, relays, fuses, etc. needed, all in place, etc. Believe me, it is well worth it!
    PM me if you want his information..
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks AC Bill.
    You're right about my patience running out, but I'm cheap and stubborn, a bad combination to be sure. But the idea of letting someone else give my wiring harness a trim is inviting. I'm just not there yet. I'm going to keep look for a wiring diagram; I have a haynes manual, but it doesn't have complete schematics. Maybe I'll write or call factory five and ask if they forgot to include an ignition switch in my kit.
    Thanks for the input. If you you have a diagram for connecting the stock ignition plug wires to a 4 post switch I'd appreciate getting a copy.
    Joel