Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine and Trans VIN Location

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine and Trans VIN Location

Anyone know if a 2003 EJ25 and 5MT has the VIN on it anywhere?

Had my inspection today and while I didn't think they were stamped on it at all the inspector did. He didn't seem too concerned with it but said it would probably cause some delays and confusion with the DMV unless I could find them and send some pictures or documentation confirming they are exempt from the NHTSA marking requirements for that year.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are not put on the block or the trans. How to find the documentation no idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Subaru never put the VIN on the engine or trans but they do each have a serial number. This is how you locate it:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ine-vin-number

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Subaru never put the VIN on the engine or trans but they do each have a serial number. This is how you locate it:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ine-vin-number
    Right but in most cases the DMV does not care about what FFR people say sadly. The DMV in this case wants the documentation by the NHTSA saying they are exempt from needing to use the vin number on the blocks and the trans. They told me this as well.. The way around this in my state is to have a bill of sale for the item and then magically that requirement is gone...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the quick replies.

I have the title but the donor was a daily driver for 5 years before this, and an in-family purchase so no bill of sale ever did exist even if I had had the desire to keep it.

Luckily I'm in Michigan so finding them was just a hope to speed up the process. Without them the state will simply mull over the documents for a little bit longer before deciding that it does in fact have at least two wheels and an engine and is therefore fit for Michigan roads.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Managed to find this now as well: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text...1/appendix-A-I

If you can't read legalize, the document is "49 CFR Part 541, Appendix A-1"

I would have expected a list of model years as well but I guess we'll go with it and see what happens.