Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump Really Close To Header?????

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump Really Close To Header?????

Running A mechanical fuel pump on a very mild 302,(250-300 HP) I have only about 1/4 in clearance to the headers I'm worried about heat Transfer, Its just a Holly style pump I got off of eBay Pump works really good but Seems a bit big in diameter. Any thoughts or recommendations ? I want to stay mechanical. Keep it as simple as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. You need to install some kind of heat shield. Or a smaller fuel pump. Don't be afraid to dimple the header to gain another 1/4" of clearance
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm confused. I have a SBF engine with mechanical pump and screw-on oil filter just behind it. My DS front header clears the filter by a good four inches and the fuel pump by at least six inches. You must have custom headers that are very different from my standard ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post a pic?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get a pict in the am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like Vladik has the stock headers not the 4 in to 4's so with the J-pipe it gets real close which is why they include the filter relocate. When we build with stock headers I use an Elec fuel pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 302 with stock (reversed) headers and J-pipes, and yes the fuel pump is very close to the header on the driver side. Also the oil filter (I have a 90 deg. adapter, not the remote setup) and the oil pressure sensor are also real close.

To make it work I conceived and fabb'd up a heat shield from aluminum - see pictures below. I played with a piece of cardboard to get the 3D shape before cutting it out of aluminum. The shield is double reinforced at the top, insulated front and back with aluminum-backed fiberglas insulation, screwed on to the front of the DS heads using a couple of aluminum standoffs, and kept from flopping around with a brace at the bottom screwed in to the 4" tube.

All in all it works very well and in 2 years of driving my car in the Houston heat I have had zero problems from this issue.

DSC00235.jpg

IMG_06552.jpg

IMG_06582.jpg

DSC00249.jpg
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.