FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: More Ford Racing 363 Header Woes

Post Thanks / Like

More Ford Racing 363 Header Woes

So, FFR tech made a suggestion that the 351W was similar in exhaust port placement to the 363 and suggested a set of BBK engine swap headers for the 351W. At first it looked like they would work but it appears the exhaust ports on the engine don't line up entirely with those on the headers.

2016_072310_3942_585.jpg

We're assuming this is not good and possibly really bad. Any suggestions?

Also, any other suggestions about finding headers that will work would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    According to Ford Performance, these heads require a raised port header. After some research, I found M-9430-ZM7993 headers that should work - of course you need the corresponding gaskets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britpit View Post
    According to Ford Performance, these heads require a raised port header. After some research, I found M-9430-ZM7993 headers that should work - of course you need the corresponding gaskets.
    Thanks. I should have mentioned that we found those through research as well but they are no longer available from Ford Racing or anybody else we could find for that matter. I really wish they were available though.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    My engine requires larger headers & exhaust than will physically fit in the cramped spaces of one of these little cars. I never found an off the shelf option so I made my own. This exercise forced me to learn more than I already knew about header & muffler design and tuning primaries & collectors, so this problem turned out to be a learning opportunity. If that's too big a project to take on yourself there are companies out there that will make you a set of custom headers but expect to pay several times more than an off the shelf header for a popular application like say a Mustang. I've got ~$750 invested in materials alone (that's headers and fabricated side pipe mufflers) so if you find someone to build you a set at $1500 you're getting a bargain. And if you have room you may only need a short set of adapters to facilitate attaching an off the shelf header to your heads. Think of these as thick aluminum gaskets that port match your heads to a set of generic headers. There's always an answer given the time, talent, and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk to Georgie at Gas-N pipes. I beleive he has a direct fit for the 363 with z heads.

http://www.gas-n.com/Headers.html

If he does not GPHeaders for sure can get you set up.

http://gpheaders.com

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you use either the 2" or 3" bolt spacing ? If so the 3" are easier to install.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    Can you use either the 2" or 3" bolt spacing ? If so the 3" are easier to install.
    Kenny
    The heads come with the dual bolt spacing so either 2" or 3" will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    The folks that make the most popular Coyote 4-1-4 headers can probably make exactly what you need with a phone call, and probably not for the usual cost of custom headers. They'll also make them to use the outer bolt holes in the head so you don't have to pinch off the primaries to fit the bolts. High quality stuff. http://www.stainlessheaders.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like we are going with http://gpheaders.com and doing their mockup procedure. It will include both the headers and the downpipes since they can't do ball and socket flanges. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure these will work great and look awesome.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go with the 3" spacing !!!!!

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually just found these:

http://shop.macperformance.com/MAC-F...ders-58625.htm

They are for the 351W with the Dart heads. We bought the Felpro 1487 gasket, which is for those heads and it matches perfectly so these should be a nice fit. It would be a lot cheaper than the custom route.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    They look like 2"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    They look like 2"
    They are, but, short of custom, it's the only thing we could find that would fit the raised exhaust ports and the rest of the exhaust system. If they don't work out, or somewhere down the road, we would do custom with 3".