Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Title Year discussion

Post Thanks / Like

Title Year discussion

Hi, I live in Austin and moved here about 5 years ago from Colorado. I'm hoping to buy a FFR car that has already been built over the next year and I've noticed that some people title their cars as 1965 (for example) and some title it for the year they built it. Does this matter in Texas? I would think for emissions requirements that an older year title would be ideal, but not sure if replica cars follow the same rules anyway. I want to make sure I don't buy something that I will have trouble registering. I brought a car from Colorado that already sits in my garage because of the difficulty I will have getting it to pass inspection and emissions. Is there anything else specific to Texas that I should watch out for? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it matters as far as what year the title is, because (with the exception of certain license plate types, explained below) the car needs to pass the safety and emissions rules that apply to its model year, regardless of whether its a replica or not.

For cars built from scratch in Texas, the rules state that they need to be titled with the model year corresponding to the calendar year in which they were completed. It used to be common to "fool the clerk" into titling the car as a 1965 (or similar) but it looks like the DMV has clamped down on this by educating their staff on these cars. It is also somewhat common to title the car as whatever, but get insurance as a 1965 Cobra - the theory being that the vehicle inspection places don't look at your title - they look at your insurance card - so if they see a 1965 insurance card they don't run the emissions check and you're good. I do not know if this still works after Texas moved to a computerized data base for inspections, to where you don't get a separate inspection sticker any more but rather it is logged in the central system that you've had your annual inspection so they can proceed to issue your annual registration sticker.

The title/registration that I have, and that I strongly recommend, falls under the "Street Rod and Custom Vehicle" law that was passed a few years ago. Under this system, my car is titled as a "2014 ASVE" (Assembled Vehicle) with the added notation "Replica 1965 Cobra". It has special plates that state "Custom Vehicle". The point being that certain license plate types, including Custom Vehicle, Antique Vehicle, Parade Vehicle, etc. are exempt from the annual inspection requirement. Most of these plate types have severe usage limitations but Custom Vehicle does not - as long as you follow the process to qualify* you can drive your car just as much as a daily driver and you still are exempt from inspection, for ever.

*Google or search here and the other forum for the requirements for the Custom Vehicle plate - basically not that onerous, but you do need the build receipts, a weight certificate, some forms to be filled in, and a one-time inspection by an ASE Master Mechanic**.

When you buy a car that has already been titled, the process is quite similar. If the title already states 1965 or similar, you may very well be able to get that transferred over (in which case you're golden) or you may have that challenged - unfortunately a bit "luck of the draw" depending on the knowledge of the clerk. Alternatively you could apply for a Custom Vehicle plate (regardless of the year of the title) for which you'll need to get some extra information from the seller and do a bit of extra legwork - but IMHO well worth the result.

Hope this helps...

Ram

**One key point that I forgot - fundamentally the Custom Vehicle plate is intended for Replicas, basically resembling cars that are 25 years old or older. So it works fine for Roadsters and '33s and Coupes - but not for 818s. Frankly I have no idea what 818 builders are doing for registration in Texas - seems to me that they would either have to build late model emissions compliant cars, or seek to "fool the system" somehow.
    Last edited by ram_g; 07-23-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    thiazole
    Come see us at the Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet in San Marcos at the end of March. You don't need to have a Cobra to come and have fun. http://www.texascobrameet.com/
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    That event has come and gone. Have they started planning the fall event [We also hold a Fall Meet in October. The location varies from year to year, but is usually deep in the Texas Hill Country.]?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ram G, thanks for all the information. That is very helpful and exactly what I was looking for! Seagull81 and UnhipPopano, I'd love to check out a Texas Cobra Club meet. I live right on the edge of Hill Country (technically, I work in Dripping Springs), so I'm sure I could make a meet in that area. I'm not far from San Marcos either.

Post Thanks / Like
    UnhipPopano, We will start planning next year's Meet later in the year. We post up when registration is open and updates on several Cobra sites. The website shows you last years fun and will be used for next year once updated.

thiazole, where in Austin do you live? We have folks all over the area?
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Southwest Austin in Circle C Ranch.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are close to another member of our Austin Club. Glenn Reilly lives on Copano Drive, just off Slaughter Ln.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, I drive down Capano Dr all the time to jump from Slaughter to Davis (the residents there probably don't appreciate that very much though).