FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is there a preferred distributor orientation for SBW 302?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a preferred distributor orientation for SBW 302?

IMG_0440.JPG
    I haven't really been able to find any documentation that says to install the distributor so that the rotor points to a specific orientation for the #1 cylinder with the timing pointer set to my initial timing of 10' BTC.
    Is there a correct or preferred location? Just looking closely at pictures of other folks installations and the spark plug wire routing I put the vacuum advance unit at "12 o-clock" (when looking from the back of the engine toward the front) and the rotor points to "1 o-clock" (the lug that the center of the M in MSD points to). Will this be okay? I wanted to make sure before going ahead and installing my spark plug wiring.
    Here are some more pictures of the engine so far. It is a Blueprint Engines 306 with their aluminum heads. The accessory drive is from CVF Racing.
    IMG_0442a.JPG
    IMG_0443a.JPG
    John S.

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine does care about the orientation of the distributor and rotor, obviously as long as it's timed from that position. Typically SBF's have #1 roughly toward the back of the engine next to the intake manifold. This provides an efficient layout for the plug wires. Most assembled plug wire sets are configured this way. Do what makes the most sense for you including the vacuum advance connection.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like 11 or 12 o-clock for #1
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like you have an intake for a carb. If so itreally doesn't matter where the distrubuter is. But convention has #1 at about 12 oclock. W/ Ford efi the position matters. It might also matter if you get plug wires specifically for you engine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always say that a proper engine has the distributor at the front - apologies to our GM friends.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like we're all saying the same thing. Here's a picture of mine. image.jpeg

Thanks for choosing BluePrint Engines!

-Jay