Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: UCA maintenance heads up

Post Thanks / Like

UCA maintenance heads up

I posted this in the coupe area but since it applies to all I am reporting here

I just wanted to put a reminder out there to thoroughly check your UCA's on a regular basis. I have 1500 miles on my coupe and i heard a squeak pulling in my driveway so i decided to put it up on stands and check everything over. Sure enough one of my pivots was partially frozen. Bear in mind I greased everything on assembly and at 500 miles and there was visible grease seeping out the edges. I disassembled everything and there was grease on the shaft but the pivot had a ton of drag like it was out of round. I cleaned it all up with brake clean and did a lite once over on the shaft with some emery cloth greased it up and reassembled and all seems fine now. Point being I watched the alignment and made sure all was slack and had faithfully done all recommended maintenance yet still had an issue so it's worth taking everything loose once in a while to makes sure it moves freely

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes -proper maintenance and regular inspection is recommended. I had a UCA issue which resulted in the UCA breaking at the pivot bushing. This was the older style UCA and FFR has since changed supplier and upgraded the design - no more metal on metal friction as the new design uses a neoprene bushing which is much easier to maintain. I previously posted pictures of the issue with the older UCA. Note many of the older design UCA's are in use however once you see the newer design and the failure of the old designed pivot bushing you may want to upgrade.

Link to UCA upgrade listed below

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ghlight=jester
    Last edited by Jester; 07-24-2016 at 10:50 AM.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise