Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Knockoff/Spinner mod

Post Thanks / Like

Knockoff/Spinner mod

This is my mod to the problem of the knockoff galling itself to the inner spinner mount. In the spirit of "if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing", I enlisted a friend in Arizona and his awesome machine shop (in his garage). My original idea was to just run some set screws to hold a ring inside the wheel, and against the inner mount. What ended up is a precise extension of the inner mount with roll pins to hold them together, and set screws to anchor it in. (I suppose the next logical step for someone out there is to machine a one piece inner mount that has the extension already on it.)

To start, CDXXVII made up some aluminum rings that are 1/4" thick, 1/2" wide, 2.75" outside diameter (just big enough to slip fit inside the wheel center.) He had some rings left over that he generously offered to sell to me. (Thank you Luis)

Next, using a dividing head, we drilled three, 1/8" holes in the four rings, and three 1/8" mating holes in the four inner spinner mounts. We didn't drill all the way through on either, but went .480" deep in the rings, and .185" deep on the inner mount. Both sets of 3 holes (in the rings and the inner mounts) were drilled on a 2.425" diameter, and exactly 120 degrees apart (equally spaced from each other). That put the mating holes near the inner part of the rings, and the outer part of the mounts, but matched perfectly between the two parts when put together. It was close on both parts breaking out on the edge, but it just worked.

Next, we drilled and tapped for #10-32 x 1/4" stainless set screws at three places, again at 120 degrees from each other, and roughly midway between the 1/8" holes. These set screws will hold the entire assembly in the wheel. There is enough room to go with 5/16" set screws, which I may switch out to just to gain another couple more threads in the rings.

Finally, we pressed in three, 1/8" x 5/8" roll pins into the rings, until there was about .160-.170" inch sticking out. Then the ring was tapped onto the inner mount. Finished product is basically a deeper inner mount with set screws to hold it in the wheel center. All total, it was right at 2 hours with that mill and the tool to hold and rotate the parts for easy and precise drilling. A lot of work for a problem that may or may not even materialize, but I have to say, these parts came out very cool.

The very last step will be to put a dab of anti-seize on the threads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 07-26-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread