BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering shaft hitting pedal box?

Post Thanks / Like

Steering shaft hitting pedal box?

Installing the steering shaft today and it is hitting the pedal box just above the brake pedal where I would assume the brake light switch goes? Anyone run into this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    make sure your flange bearing on the front of the foot box is loose. It should fit with a little fussing if I remember correctly. When it's installed you should have a very small gap between the shaft and the 2x2 dash bottom tube. An 1/8 inch if my eyeball calculation is accurate. I remember encountering this problem and I had to make sure the flange bearing was really sloppy loose in front.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the first picture, it doesn't show the greatest but the shaft actually won't go above the bar that the flange bearing sits upon. It's liked so inches too low overall from being able to get to the flange bearing

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have your answer, but it wouldn't hurt to relieve the pedal box in that area.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahealey View Post
    If you look at the first picture, it doesn't show the greatest but the shaft actually won't go above the bar that the flange bearing sits upon. It's liked so inches too low overall from being able to get to the flange bearing

Ok, so what I am referring to is the flange bearing mounted onto the front of the drivers footbox. It needs to be loose when installing the shaft,

The next thing is to make sure the shaft is above the first 3/4x3/4 cross member in the footbox area. Where my finger is. What sits on top of the 2x2 tube is a pillow block. When done, the shaft should just barely clear the 2x2 rail.

Post Thanks / Like
    and make sure the flange bearing is installed in the proper orientation. Coupler side facing inside foot box.

here is a tutorial of the procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zGnHExZuA

Post Thanks / Like
    So I figured it out tonight. There was a bolted on piece that was above the brake pedal that it was hitting. Not sure what that piece is for but not needed for this application! Thanks for all the help!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what that "piece" could be but glad you got it figured out.

Post Thanks / Like
    bracket for cruise control vacuum dump switch
    Mike