Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake fluid lines from mc to reservoirs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brake fluid lines from mc to reservoirs.

As we know, summer activity has a way of interrupting a build. In my case is was a good thing. I had completed, some time ago,the installation of the brake MCs and reservoirs and bled the system with success. After several weeks away from the project, I thought it was time to jump back in. Instead of using the red all- purpose hoses provided by FFR to connect the reservoirs to the MCs, I thought it would look cleaner if I used some black fuel line hose. I discovered this morning that the brake fluid appears to be sweating its way out along the entire length of the hoses. What a mess. Was using fuel line a mistake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    As we know, summer activity has a way of interrupting a build. In my case is was a good thing. I had completed, some time ago,the installation of the brake MCs and reservoirs and bled the system with success. After several weeks away from the project, I thought it was time to jump back in. Instead of using the red all- purpose hoses provided by FFR to connect the reservoirs to the MCs, I thought it would look cleaner if I used some black fuel line hose. I discovered this morning that the brake fluid appears to be sweating its way out along the entire length of the hoses. What a mess. Was using fuel line a mistake?
    Yes, you need to use a hose that can hold up to the brake fluid. I don't think that all flexible brake lines are red, so you can get a different color if you want. But make sure that it's rated for hydraulic/brake fluid.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bren,

Thanks, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've purchased brake reservoir hoses from a seller on eBay for my last two builds and they've worked out well. Color black, sold by the foot, 10 different sizes available. Checking listing 330576924784 for 3/8-inch ID. Others are in his eBay store.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I purchased "Black" brake line hose from Speedway Motors.
    I think they still sell the stuff.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and to your question "Was using fuel line a mistake?" Emphatic yes. Not up to the task. You need hose specifically for brake fluid. For the gravity feed from the reservoir to the MC, doesn't have to be high pressure capable. Just made from the right material.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    My CNC reservoirs came with black hose with a bit of a fabric type of exterior. That's what I'm using instead of the red hose.

--Nathan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_pilate View Post
    My CNC reservoirs came with black hose with a bit of a fabric type of exterior. That's what I'm using instead of the red hose.

--Nathan

So did mine, but I didn't use it. Free to anyone who can use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't feel bad. I had a similar problem couple of years ago when I used heater hose for my PS reservoir feed hose to the pump. It was only a 10 inch piece and the markings had disappeared. Yep, that's my story and I am sticking to it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Discussed this topic with a relative of mine this weekend and he said that using synthetic brake fluid is another option. He went on to describe the pros and cons of each but that there are two areas where it is beneficial. One being that it is less harmful to paint finish and second, it won't effect (non brake fluid specific) rubber hoses the way regular brake fluid will. Has anyone gone this route?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Discussed this topic with a relative of mine this weekend and he said that using synthetic brake fluid is another option. He went on to describe the pros and cons of each but that there are two areas where it is beneficial. One being that it is less harmful to paint finish and second, it won't effect (non brake fluid specific) rubber hoses the way regular brake fluid will. Has anyone gone this route?
    Without referencing a specific DOT grade, not sure what you mean by synthetic. If you mean DOT 5 silicone based, this has been discussed quite a bit. I don't have any personal experience with it, but consensus seems to be not to use it for our builds. I personally use Valvoline DOT 3 & 4 Synthetic. It's relatively inexpensive, widely available, and by all accounts is a good product. I can't say it's any more or less harmful to hoses, paint, etc. than non-synthetic. I know it softens caliper paint. I personally haven't used or know much about DOT 5.1 other than it's compatible with DOT 3 & 4, but not DOT 5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Per Wilwood's instructions sheets, DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid is not recommended for racing or performance driving.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure the hose is EPDM. Available all over the place. Even Tractor supply has it.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Again, thanks for all the feedback. It's very helpful.