Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Looking for a body work and painting shop, HELP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Looking for a body work and painting shop, HELP!

Good Morning folks,

I live in McAllen, Tx all the way south next to Mexico, i being looking for a body shop here to get my MK4 body done,
    but no luck, there are couple of guys that claim to be able to get it done, but every time i ask them to jumpstart the work
    they find "reasons" why "not now", so, at this point i am more than willing to tow my body somewhere else (is on top of a
    body buck).

Thank you for your priceless advice here

have a great day!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a shop in Nebraska that can do the work. They have done loads of stuff for me and I have had nothing but good results. Not sure if that's to far though haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't take your project to a regular body shop that does collision work for a living, try to find a rod and custom shop. South Texas should have some around.

If distance is not a problem, then I would say,, ship it to Da Bat, Jeff Miller. Yes it's a little far, but his work is outstanding and there are a ton of forum members that have nothing but good things to say about him and his work.

Ron
    Last edited by Presto51; 07-29-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Speeeling
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not positive where you're at in your build, but you don't have the chassis done and body mounted yet, right? Unless you're using a painter that has a chassis to fit your body to (there are a couple) you're jumping the gun a bit. The body needs to be fit to your chassis, panels mounted and gapped while on the chassis, etc. before it can be painted.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Don't take your project to a regular body shop that does collision work for a living, try to find a rod and custom shop. South Texas should have some around.

If distance is not a problem, then I would say,, ship it to Da Bat, Jeff Miller. Yes it's a little far, but his work is outstanding and there are a ton of forum members that have nothing but good things to say about him and his work.

Ron
    Hi Ron,
    thank you for your prompt answer
    already called and spoke with Jeff, unfortunately the is book for the next 12 months

will keep looking
    have a great day!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'm not positive where you're at in your build, but you don't have the chassis done and body mounted yet, right? Unless you're using a painter that has a chassis to fit your body to (there are a couple) you're jumping the gun a bit. The body needs to be fit to your chassis, panels mounted and gapped while on the chassis, etc. before it can be painted.
    Mr Edward!!
    Nice to hear from you
    yes, yes, as always you are absolutely right, to get it painted the body needs to be bolted into the chassis already, however, what I was looking for is a shop to start working in the body itself and have it as ready as possible then to get the chassis installed so they can do the final touch-ups and then get it painted, you know... to save some time
    that is the reason to look for some one close enough so i can tow my self the body first and then the frame.

Have a great day!!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I know a shop in Nebraska that can do the work. They have done loads of stuff for me and I have had nothing but good results. Not sure if that's to far though haha.
    Hi there,
    thank you for the input, yes i guess i a little too far if i hope to bring it in my self, but approaching a point where i will explore the possibility to ship
    the whole car to get the job done.

Have a great day!!

Mike

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt I just see an entry by Da Bat saying he had space in his shop for extra work?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's an award-winning custom hot rod shop in Slidell Louisiana known as Lawless Customs.
    Lawless does it all from full restorations, to Hot-Rod builds, to Custom Bikes and even a some Boats.
    They always have a big display at the New Orleans World Of Wheels and always have show class winners.
    Be advised that they pick and choose their projects, but have done a few Cobra kit cars.

http://www.lawlesscustoms.com/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-29-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael pavon View Post
    .... i will explore the possibility to ship the whole car to get the job done.
    Finish building it, then drive it in gel coat for awhile. If you run into some problems, better to do so before you paint it.
    When you know all is good, drive it to the paint shop.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

11. Likes JasoninAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    Didnt I just see an entry by Da Bat saying he had space in his shop for extra work?
    probably he just didn't want to work on my project :P :P :P

13. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Finish building it, then drive it in gel coat for awhile. If you run into some problems, better to do so before you paint it.
    When you know all is good, drive it to the paint shop.
    Actually that's perfectly good idea, I came with that logic as well yesterday and I had the luck to contact Levy Racing in Arizona and to speak to Mr. Levi himself he mention to have space/time to do my project as soon as i finish my part, also, i ask if he was willing to do a checkup up on my car before send it back to make sure that I did everything ok and he said yes.
    so my plan is to finish it, drive it for a couple of days, the send it to him.
    i am not that courageous to flip the coin driving the car 18 hrs. to his shop. he he he

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    There's an award-winning custom hot rod shop in Slidell Louisiana known as Lawless Customs.
    Lawless does it all from full restorations, to Hot-Rod builds, to Custom Bikes and even a some Boats.
    They always have a big display at the New Orleans World Of Wheels and always have show class winners.
    Be advised that they pick and choose their projects, but have done a few Cobra kit cars.

http://www.lawlesscustoms.com/
    Thank you very much for the info
    have a great day

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    How far are you from El Paso? There are several FFR folks in that area that could give you a lead. Let me know and I can connect the dots.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a custom shop here in Central Texas that will be painting my car in a few months. If things don't work out with Gordon they might be worth talking to. They are only a 6 hour drive from you. LOL.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    bobl

Very interested in the shop you found in central Texas. Do you mind sharing the name and contact info? I will subscribe. I am very interested to hear how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The shop I'm using is Hill Country Rod Shop located in Kingsland, about 50 miles west of Austin. Talk to Lance. He's co-owner and the painter. Tell him I sent you if you talk to him. He's a good friend. 325-3888880. Where are you located?

Bob Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by srobinsonx2 View Post
    bobl

Very interested in the shop you found in central Texas. Do you mind sharing the name and contact info? I will subscribe. I am very interested to hear how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    The shop I'm using is Hill Country Rod Shop located in Kingsland, about 50 miles west of Austin. Talk to Lance. He's co-owner and the painter. Tell him I sent you if you talk to him. He's a good friend. 325-3888880. Where are you located?

Bob Lloyd
    I'm in San Antonio. Thanks so much for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob, wondering how your painting turned out. I am in Austin and looking for a painter now .. would be great to have one local which is a family business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ThreeSpore, check out H&R Auto Body (hnrautobody.com/) in Leander. Darrell and Jim a long time friends of mine. Darrell has built and painted many many award winning cars.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    ThreeSpore, You have a PM.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeSpore View Post
    Hi Bob, wondering how your painting turned out. I am in Austin and looking for a painter now .. would be great to have one local which is a family business.
    Just saw this post. My car turned out great, I could not be happier. Unfortunately that shop has closed down and my friend is no longer doing custom work.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017