Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Hot Rod in Orange County California

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod in Orange County California

I posted a thread a few weeks ago regarding CA. registration and trying to determine if I would fit in a 33 with a manual transmission option (FFR said I should go with an automatic) given my height 6'4" and 220 pounds. I have a pretty good understanding of the SB100 process and now the only hurdle left to jump over is whether I would fit comfortably in a 33 with a manual transmission. Was wondering if there is anyone in Orange County that has a 33 that I can sit in to see how I fit. I know there are seat options for taller drivers, but if I can fit somewhat comfortably in a car that does not have this option, having the seats would be an added bonus. If you are in the area and would not mind me sitting in your car and perhaps discussing the build process, I would be forever grateful.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a google map being maintained of 33 HR owners/builders who have provided their information. That would be a good place to start. This link will take you there, or you can find it in the 33 Hot Rod area of this forum.

33 owners map

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, this is helpful. Only one 33 in the area that I can see, but not sure how to reach out to this person.

Post Thanks / Like
    The map will show a name and chassis number. Ask on here first to see if anyone knows them or their screen name on the forum. If so then PM that member.
    If not then call FF and ask them to reach out to that owner. FF will ask that owner for permission to give you their contact info and what info they want given.

If that builder agrees then you will get their E-addy or phone so you can get in touch.
    HTH
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that you will fit. It's the roomiest of the cars that FFR offers. I sold a tilt column to a father son team and they were both over 6-5 250lbs. I'm 6-1 and used the stock seats and was very comfortable. You could do a the big and tall seats or even a Kirkey bucket for even more room my friend is 6-5 240 and he rode passenger no problem. The suicide doors make it easier to get in and out of too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    I know that you will fit. It's the roomiest of the cars that FFR offers. I sold a tilt column to a father son team and they were both over 6-5 250lbs. I'm 6-1 and used the stock seats and was very comfortable. You could do a the big and tall seats or even a Kirkey bucket for even more room my friend is 6-5 240 and he rode passenger no problem. The suicide doors make it easier to get in and out of too.
    Thank you for that information. Do you think a manual transmission is an option at my height? From what the FFR rep told me at SEMA is that I would fit but would most likely have to use an automatic, which is not what I want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, they would know more than me I guess. I didn't have a huge problem with the clutch if that's what they are getting at but your leg will be up along side the steering wheel a little more. What's your inseem? 36? Give me a call 949-235-1109

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually 34" inseam.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6 foot, 210 pounds, 32 inseam and have a 33 with big and tall seats and have added seat runners- plenty of head and leg room for me with room to slide to seats back several inches. Another concern is shoe size ( mine 12.5 wide) because the pedal box is narrow, not much room with the 3 pedals. I bought narrow slipper type shoes which helps but still on the tight side.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the 33 that factory five takes to car shows and such you will see that they cut their pedals in half. Thats one idea that I will have to do as well. My car is only a roller right now, with adjustments still to be made.Here are the concerning issues for me: Foot is size 12 and with regular shoe on if I look down and concentrate I can push the clutch pedal without hitting the brake pedal in the process. Obviously in driving conditions I would be hitting the brake pedal all the time. One solution is to cut the pedals like factory five did, second is to get a pair of driving shoes like pumas or similar and lastly a solution my dad uses in his T bucket is to just take your shoes off. the second concern is our knees, now I have only sat in it with the regular seats provided by FFR but my left knee is jammed up against the steering wheel. I do have the tilt and no matter where I put the tilt this occurs. Keep in mind that this is just in the chassis, I do not have the body or doors on yet so maybe clearance will be better but if I imagine a line on the frame while sitting in it my knee will be wedged. My thought is maybe a smaller steering wheel or see if different seats work. I am not sure if any of this helps you or not but my experience with this car has been that it lives up to the name "hot rod" in the sense that everything that you want to do is going to come by you tinkering and making it work. I will not have a 33 automatic so I know that I will have to make some adjustments and some sacrifices in order to make it work. Thats what hot rodding is all about, changing things and making it fit and work for you while still being badass and fast as hell. By the way I am 6'4 225, 36 inch waist. Body is not on the car but if you would want to sit in the roller to get a feel for it I live in south bay, Manhattan Beach area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for feedback. The more I think about it, not sure how much modifying I am willing to do just to fit comfortably. What you mentioned about your knee being jammed without the body on, I would think it would be even tighter with the body on? Not sure this is the right project for me and what I want to use it for. I am at the age where comfort trumps all else.

Post Thanks / Like
    With a 34 inseam you should be fine. I'm a 32/33 and never had a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    With a 34 inseam you should be fine. I'm a 32/33 and never had a problem.
    Ehansen007, do you still have a 33? Obviously Aliso Viejo is a lot closer for me to see how well (or not) I fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest sitting in one before making any final decision. I was not trying to scare you off or anything. I was just telling you my personal experiences so far. If I can help at all let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been eyeing a 33 Hot Rod for a while now and am concerned how I would fit in one, being 6'3" tall, and 220 lbs, size 13 shoe. I would like to "daily drive" it, cause any car of mine isn't just meant to sit in the garage. I missed the Huntington Beach show, would have been a perfect time to check out a few of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I missed the HB show as well, would have been the perfect opportunity. At this point I will probably not go forward with the build, just don't get a good feeling about fitting comfortably and building it the way I want. Appreciate everyone's input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    I have been eyeing a 33 Hot Rod for a while now and am concerned how I would fit in one, being 6'3" tall, and 220 lbs, size 13 shoe. I would like to "daily drive" it, cause any car of mine isn't just meant to sit in the garage. I missed the Huntington Beach show, would have been a perfect time to check out a few of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpdm3 View Post
    I missed the HB show as well, would have been the perfect opportunity. At this point I will probably not go forward with the build, just don't get a good feeling about fitting comfortably and building it the way I want. Appreciate everyone's input!
    I'm going to say this to the both of you and please don't take this the wrong way. I had dreamed of the day I would have my own Cobra Replica (I dig the 33 as well) since I was in my teens. I may not be quite as tall as the two of you but at about 6'2" and 250+ I knew it was going to be a tight fit without some serious modifications to make my dream into a reality. We have guys as big, if not bigger, that have built these cars to fit them. Here comes the brutal honesty so brace yourselves. Quite honestly, if you're going to throw in the towel and give up on your dream of building/owning a FFR 33 this easily, then this just may not be for you. Even in the simplest of builds, the 33 takes quite a bit of patience and sweat. With modifications it may take 2-3 years for the average builder to get any of these cars registered and on the road.

Let me though give you an alternate to giving up so soon. It sounds as if you may both be in SoCal since you both mentioned The Huntington Beach Cruise-In. I suggest you get yourselves involved in the local events that happen quite frequently here in SoCal. We just had a get together in Semi Valley last Saturday and we are getting together for a breakfast tomorrow morning. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...al-Discussions You may need to wait to get a seat in a 33 but I'm sure once you start hanging out with the Roadster guys you'll quickly find out that your concerns about "fitting" in these cars will be put aside.

I also suggest that you update your profiles so that when you are posting here, the rest of us have a general idea of what part of the country you live. The shop is always open to visitors and we always have something cool in there.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Frank!
    Yeah, even with being tall, I just want to go forward with my plan, just want to make sure I make the right choices in the build to give me enough room not to feel cramped. When I build the car, I do want to drive it a lot....I don't like to have a car to be a trailer queen....I build with the intent to be a daily driver type car.