BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Decisions, decisions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Decisions, decisions...

Why do I want to spend over $200 for an Optima or Odyssey battery when i can get this for $120?

http://www.atbatt.com/product/3609/s...2v55fr/battery

This is equal in advertised capacity to the PC1230 which sells for $280. What am I missing?
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Or go to Costco and buy one for $50. Works great and starts my car like it is supposed to
    www.AIMFlight.com
    FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09
    408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I should have mentioned that I have a size problem (don't we all?). I want to mount it between the front crossmember and the X-member, so I have to use one of the AGM types that I mentioned above.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,
    I made a box and placed a group 51 lead acid battery between the X member and crossmember on a Mk4. Group 51R is the same size with the terminals reversed.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think you are right, Jeff. I spend way too much time trying to reinvent the wheel.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    The battery in the link is a lead acid battery, not an AGM. Not sure where you shop at, but no way would I pay $200 for an Optima or Odyessy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a battery tray for a Jeep CJ (82) from JC Whitney on my Mk1, $60

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement...d=d1166y1982j1

Then installed a group 34 battery from Sears, $60

Fits good, battery securing is down by the crossmember so no upper retainer barcket. Has enough clearance for belt replacment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The battery in the link is a lead acid battery, not an AGM. Not sure where you shop at, but no way would I pay $200 for an Optima or Odyessy.
    Then the copy in the ad must be wrong...

"The Power-Sonic valve regulated sealed lead acid batteries are maintenance free, easy to handle, rugged and economical. It has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating temperature, long service life and deep discharge recover.
    • Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology for superior performance.
    • Valve regulated, spill proof construction allows safe operation in any position.
    • Power/volume ratio yielding unrivaled energy density.
    • Approved for transport by air. D.O.T., I.A.T.A., F.A.A. and C.A.B. certified.
    • U.L. recognized under file number MH 20845."

The Odyssey PC1200 is $231 retail and a few places have it for $199.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Breeze box that mounts it as pictured above. I went with the yellow optima because, well I liked the look and have had good experience with optima's in the past. However, I am certain that I saw the same size battery at the local auto store in a regular black lead acid type for well under $100. In the end, I think a battery is a battery, if it starts the car it is a good one.
    Arch

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy668 View Post
    I should have mentioned that I have a size problem (don't we all?). I want to mount it between the front crossmember and the X-member, so I have to use one of the AGM types that I mentioned above.
    Have you looked at this: http://www.performancedistributors.com/batteries.htm

"SPECIFICATIONS: Weight = 13.5 lbs, Dimensions: Length = 7", Width = 3" & Height = 6 1/2" ,
    Reserve Capacity = 16 Amp hours, Cold Cranking Amps = Not Rated"

I don't have this battery, but do use a couple of their other products and they are all that they are advertised to be.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Costco 51r here as well. When it sits for a while, trickle charge is needed, but that's the same with anything. It never failed while I was dialing in the engine, and it fires right up.

This is the mount I made from 3/4" angle (I used the hold downs from the kit.)

KD - Formerly beartoothweb
    FFR#6407
    Home 4/18/09 - Roller 12/7/09 - First Start 1/23/11 - First Official Go Kart - 4/10/11
    Build Site
    What I do to pay for it all - Web Design, Graphics, and Programming

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice. I did some more checking and found that the common 51 or 51R is 10-154 pounds lighter than equivalent gel or AGM batteries, and also about 40% cheaper.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a conventional battery at Sam's for about $52.00. Basicly got the biggest one that would fit in a FF Metal box.