Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Salt Lake City, UT 2006 WRX Donor Break Down

Post Thanks / Like

Salt Lake City, UT 2006 WRX Donor Break Down

I wanted to drive the donor for a year prior to parting out, so I went with a restored salvage title 2006 WRX Limited Wagon. I realized a drive-able/reliable donor was a rather "premium" route with regard to price, but it's been a good way to get to know the car prior to parting out. Several months into ownership it developed an issue with its fuel pressure regulator allowing ~90psi fuel pressure on a regular basis that caused an intermittent starting issue, but since diagnosing/fixing that issue it's been a very fun & reliable car. I'm rather new to car projects, so parting out the donor should be interesting!

Here are the dealer photos of the car - it really hasn't changed since:
    00e0e_3xYx6iVxnsM_600x450.jpg
    00E0E_isoKqCorXHL_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_4EyAuugKsmo_600x450.jpg
    00h0h_1afbhYod2zF_600x450.jpg
    00h0h_eFLXQALtT0W_600x450.jpg
    00K0K_1x4rrkDTZf7_600x450.jpg
    00q0q_b4Y6tyJB4Ky_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_iGlOOp5kLR0_600x450.jpg
    00505_ftqNFenXBSx_600x450.jpg
    01111_8AgCr4u1Fre_600x450.jpg

Given it was a fun car I was doubting whether I could actually take it apart, so I got a 2013 WRX sedan so I wouldn't be without a thrill while parting out the 2006 wagon.
    Last edited by Ellimist; 02-11-2015 at 03:04 AM.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    you shouldn't call your donor a ****. she's a respectable girl.

what a shame to chop up such a clean wagon, was it a theft recovery?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    you shouldn't call your donor a ****. she's a respectable girl.
    what a shame to chop up such a clean wagon, was it a theft recovery?
    LOL, just couldn't resist the urge to use a provocative title. I've accepted that our relationship's going through a rough period since I've moved on to a "hot, new thing" (i.e., the 2013 WRX sedan) and am planning to dismantle her, so I've already dug myself a hole and calling her a **** just makes the hole slightly deeper. I can only hope she'll forgive me once she's transformed into a speedier, sexier roadster!....About her history, I didn't see any theft in the record but she had a bad re-ending and the entire left rear corner/door was replaced. Got her for $13,800 which is pretty pricey as donor's go, but I got a solid daily driver for a year and I'm hoping it's cleanliness will allow 1) easier re-sell of parts, 2) more parts that are usable (less parts to replace/source), and 2) easier break down.

Post Thanks / Like
    After a month of courage building, I finally decided to start lopping parts off the donor! Got the battery, front bumper cover, headlights, front fenders, & side skirts removed. Took a bit to get going and figuring out how to remove the plastic fasteners without obliterating them, but after that it went pretty smooth. The right side was the "learning/slow" side and the left went real smooth.

Broke my first 14mm socket trying to break loose the bolts holding the bumper, otherwise the bumper would be removed by now.

Time Lapse:
    Last edited by Ellimist; 03-29-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Fixed video link

Post Thanks / Like
    3/29/15: Removed front bumper, wiper fluid tank, front hood, air intake, bottom of rear seat, spare tire, and floor foam in rear cabin. Am now charging battery so I can roll the windows down to prep for removing doors.

Time Lapse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben
    Cut out the front of the car makes it easier to pull the engine.
    Bob
    P1040798s.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks too easy . It's probably a lost cause trying to find a buyer for the bare frame, but I'll keep that dream alive for a bit. Plenty to remove still, and gosh I gotta start trying to sell this stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellimist View Post
    That looks too easy . It's probably a lost cause trying to find a buyer for the bare frame, but I'll keep that dream alive for a bit. Plenty to remove still, and gosh I gotta start trying to sell this stuff!
    Stick with it man, since your donor isn't wrecked there's always a chance someone will buy it. I got $500 for my 02 sedan shell after completely stripping it apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    4/14/15: Removed wipers & wiper cowel, front seats, shifter/cup-holder/storage center trim, center console/climate-control/vents & stereo, glove box, and trim under dashboard.

Time Lapse:

More pictures added of break down:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1k&usp=sharing
    Last edited by Ellimist; 04-17-2015 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Corrected post

Post Thanks / Like
    ...yep, I did a pretty bad job keeping this thread updating. Anyhow, here's the full donor breakdown video, which has all 18 time lapse parts reduced down to a 10-min video. The playlist has each of the 18 parts for those interested. It's definitely been a learning experience.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    nice video.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.