Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Electric Power steering kit for the roadster- Pricing updates

Post Thanks / Like

New Electric Power steering kit for the roadster- Pricing updates

UPDATE FOR THIS SPRING

As I continue to work with my EPS unit provider, we've had to make some adjustments here from the home base in California. Taxes, Liability, etc have caused us to increase the pricing on the kit to $699 Shipped Starting May 1st. SO, if you're at home during this crazy time, and are looking to add EPS, the price will remain the same $650 until May 1st. Please go to https://www.epowersteering.com/purch...factoryfivemk4 and enter the coupon code "33Machine" to receive the discount.

As always, you get a full year warranty, free shipping, and continued support for installation.

Hey gang,

I've done some engineering work and decided to offer an electric power steering kit for the small block Roadster MK3 and MK4 with small block motors. Sorry but it will not fit with the big blocks or coyotes.

What sets this unit apart from other power steering is that it's adjustable via potentiometer knob in the cockpit. You can dial up the assist for around town and autocross, or turn it completely off for the freeway and road course.

Install- It will require you to cut the current steering shaft and have the splined couplers welded on. But the welding is not a big job. Just take it to a shop. The custom bracket can be fitted and then welded, and then bolted or welded onto the frame. It will come raw so you can finish how you like after drilling or welding. Location is in front of the headers and not close to the firewall for three reasons- Heat, ease of installation, and space. I've got it installed on the 289 and it's just fantastic. I've tested with power rack from Autozone and the stock Uni-steer rack that comes with the kit. Both work great.

Pricing is $650 shipped anywhere in the US for the entire kit.

If you're thinking, "well I could go to the junkyard and get a used one much cheaper, well yes: there is always that, however like most things, getting used gear gets us on the road cheaper but we end up paying for it sooner or later. Like rear ends, transmissions, engines, .... This includes everything you need to get it right the first time!

***Currently only available for the MK3 and MK4 with small block motors.*** .

Here's what comes with the kit:

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 7.35.24 PM.png

Rebuilt EPS Unit- 1 year warranty with customer support
    Custom water jetted adjustable mounting bracket
    Separate ECU
    Two weld on couplers
    Input Shaft Modification EPS Controller
    Adjustment Knob
    2 Electric Plugs
    Block-off Plate
    50/60 Amp Fuse and Fuse Holder
    Dust Boot
    Instructions

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 7.36.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 7.36.42 PM.png

Please just email me directly at [email protected] if you have any questions.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 03-30-2020 at 08:03 PM.

2. Likes Donkeyteeth liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm about to finally hit the Go-Kart stage. Will keep your kit in mind if I'm not happy with the manual set-up.
    I too have a messed up shoulder and it has finally gotten back to about 85-90%.
    Also, how do you like your Gilmer Style accessory belt system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric-

Very nice upgrade Sir! Nice clean installation too. I think it will make it easy for a whole lot of folks to make the switch to power steering. Well done!

Regards,

Steve

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. I did the exact same thing a while back to my Type 65.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. Nice job!

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I'm about to finally hit the Go-Kart stage. Will keep your kit in mind if I'm not happy with the manual set-up.
    I too have a messed up shoulder and it has finally gotten back to about 85-90%.
    Also, how do you like your Gilmer Style accessory belt system?
    Gilmer works great! No problems thus far. When I researched taking my power steering rack live with the pump, belts, hoses, resevoir, etc, it was just too much. So I went e-steering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik,

Is there any concern about the unit being so close to the exhaust system - and - will it clear 4-into-4's?

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! Does this let you adjust your alignment to the power steering castor specs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Big Blocker. Should be no issues on the clearance. Would you consider being a beta for the 4 into 1 for me?

Yama-bro, yes, you can stretch the caster out as much as you want. I've got mine at 6 degress right now and I'm probably going to 8 or 9 degrees just to get more variance. I put about 200 miles on the car today and had a blast with it. I let a friend test drive it and he loved it vs the non power. I parallel parked like three times one armed. It's just a different car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik,

Although I would be honored to be your test bed for the EPAS system, I have a "custom" set of 4-into-4's (mid pipe back-to-back collectors) and V-band clamps - and - I'm a MKII with the early steering shaft coming out of the DS footbox on the engine side.
    But, that being said, I am really thinking about doing some of my own R & D to see if it will fit under the dash after the pillow block but before the firewall. I'm gunna have to move a bunch of stuff to accomplish that but the effort just might be absolutely rewarding. I'm on a 18:1 Flaming River rack now so effort isn't too much of an issue with +2-1/2° caster and 275x40x17 Nitto's.

I will be following your progress though . . .

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 01-15-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Electric Power Steering

Your power steering setup looks great.
    How can a buy a kit?
    Last edited by ehansen007; 11-09-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Updates to the kit: I've decided to go with two u-joints instead of the couplers so the bracket will have more play to be mounted. What I've found is that out of four cars, each car was different in relation to the the rack input and the firewall bearing that holds the steering shaft. Being able to move the bracket with u-joints is a huge advantage. This one we put into John Tongish's track car which still had the AC bracket. It fits great.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 08-04-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    do you think it might fit in a Mark I? I'm on my 3 or 4 power steering pump - they gradually end up buzzing over time and I suppose after some "limited" use
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    The unit would probably fit but I have yet to have a test mule to make the bracket for it. I need to take a look at one of my friends cars out here to see what I need to do. I'll post it up here as soon as I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... That's bad ***. I'm getting ready to order and haven't yet, in part because I am still trying to decide on specific set up. This looks like exactly what I'm looking for, the best of both worlds. Having power when you want it and none when you don't. Did you "hide" the potentiometer knob? Do you have any pictures of where you installed it in the cockpit?

Thanks!!
    Juan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Juan, I installed the knob facing down via the horizontal Break in the dash aluminum straight down from the steering column. It's barely visible behind the steering wheel. Does that make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    Love that,nice compact install,super winter project for me ,on my MK4.Will get back to you.
    Hatley

Post Thanks / Like
    In response to Ralph's post#14, the original YouTube video was an install on a MK I, so the answer of it fitting is; yes, it will.

I am seriously working on getting this into my MK II with custom 4-into-4 headers. I'm looking into using another unit, [maybe] from a Toyota Prius (that doesn't need the controller from the EBay guy), and see if it will fit under the MK II dash (with some obvious mods to the pillow block location). If that turns out to be next-to-impossible, the Saturn unit is my next best choice.

As a side note - under the dash sounds really slick but, should it ever need servicing, I'm going to be cussing at myself for ever thinking that was a good location . . .

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 01-15-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice and neat , I see it does clear the 4x4 headers.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Has the system been installed on a COYOTE based car yet?
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    It has not. I'll get to work on that and see what I find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys:

I was one of the beta testers for the Elec power steering and i have to say this is a really good p/s system. Once Eric got the bugs worked out by the use of two u-joints its great. Installing this was not difficult at all. What i found right off the bat was that it took away 80% of that annoying bump steer you get on the hwy. It made the cruise down the fwy must less effort and twitchy. It also made it so you can really slam it around tight corners and not wear our your forearms. And parking-well thats a no brainer!! i love it and look forward to doing the autocross coming up at qualcomm stadium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting. So this eliminates the need for a power steering pump, belts and pulleys. Allows use of a standard 15:1 manual steering rack? Instead of an "infinitely adjustable" potentiometer, would it work with a potentiometer with detents? I like fixed positions a lot more than a more fluid knob that I'm likely to bump and lose position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure does. I can look into the potentiometer for ya. in other news, based on the feedback, I'm going to change the bracket a bit so we can stick to the couplers and not use U-Joints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any news on using this on a 5.0 coyote car?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, sorry. I just don't have access to that setup to get it mocked up and make the bracket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can this kit be used on a gen2 coupe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure. Haven't tried it. From what I remember this chassis is totally different right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    No, sorry. I just don't have access to that setup to get it mocked up and make the bracket.
    Echo the desire to see this for the Coyote install!

32. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coyote here also

34. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent

Post Thanks / Like
    Only issue with the electric assist system is that the controller is subject to Heat.

When the controller gets hot from either location of from heavy use (track/autocross) the electric assist does not assist.

We have used the electric assist in endurance racing for over 3 yrs. Great system as long as you keep the controller cool.

Good luck next to headers....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodon View Post
    Only issue with the electric assist system is that the controller is subject to Heat.

When the controller gets hot from either location of from heavy use (track/autocross) the electric assist does not assist.

We have used the electric assist in endurance racing for over 3 yrs. Great system as long as you keep the controller cool.

Good luck next to headers....
    Yeah that's a good point. I plan on putting a heat sink on there. Or relocating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On my build, I used the unisteer steering and modified the wiring to place the controller in the foot box along with the variable assist module. The motor is protected by a shield with lizard skin heat treatment toward the electric motor. I made sure I can remove the controls later. It is really tight though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    The gen2 is similar to the roadster just not sure how similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, finally got some time to work on the bracket. More details to come. Hoping to get the design modified and water jetted this week.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I sent you a IM to see about getting a kit to install on my Ol' Mark I
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we can still get you the unit and you'd just have to fab a bracket for it. Although I think I'd like someone with a few more miles on their car to be the beta.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do we order?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast