BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Electric Power steering kit for the roadster- Pricing updates

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any other pictures of the install to include the brackets? I have a 351W and its size is close to the 289 but a little taller, will this make a difference? Do you have the heat issues solved?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, to include which brackets? There's only one that is included with the kit and you can see it pretty clearly in the pics posted. As far as height goes, I don't see why that would be a problem at all. Plenty of room along that rail. As far as heat, we haven't had any issues thus far. One customer continues to track his car without an issue and it's the second install pic. I've also had my car sitting in traffic overheating but the steering still worked fine. These are OEM controllers from GM and are built to withstand a lot. If we do see an issue arise, we'll offer a heat sink or the customers can simply move the controller wherever they want by extending the wiring harness. Easy.

UPDATE, we are currently working on the new adjustable bracket and will notify here when it's completed. Thanks for your patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay guys, we have the new bracket! I think this new adjustable bracket will cover most everyone but the main measurement is 9 3/8" and 3" That is, 9 3/8" from the yolk center from the u-joint at the firewall, down the steering shaft. And, 3" from the edge of the 3/4" frame rail to the center of the steering shaft. If you're within 1/2" inward (towards the fender) or 1 1/2" outward(toward the motor) you should be good. PM me if interested. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has this been test fitted for an mk4 with a 385 series big block?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hom-ade View Post
    Has this been test fitted for an mk4 with a 385 series big block?
    No, sorry it has not. It's only been installed with a small block to this point. I've got a coyote customer that's going to test fit one for me. For reference. Here's the measurements that will help assess whether you can fit it or not
    Last edited by ehansen007; 09-19-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll double check the measurements tonight for you but I think that'll be a "does not fit" for my roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    From the picture with the measurements on it, after looking and measuring on my car ..it looks as though it WILL fit a 385 series car

Post Thanks / Like
    I am helping a friend with PS for his FF Cobra. Can you drop me a note @ [email protected] with information on your PS unit and installation instructions. Thanks Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Done!
    Thanks. I Just checked my email and it has not come through yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't find pics ?

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of steering rack do you recommend using with ths kit? A standard manual rack?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought one for mine, have not gotten the chance to install yet, but was wondering if anyone who has put it on has any feedback on how it works?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone post some pictures? This photobucket dabockle has really screwed a lot of people but it's not that hard to use the forum upload feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    got my electric power steering kit installed today, works good sitting in the garage, can turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger. did not want to drive it yet as I am waiting for the diodes to put on the ignition wire to the control box as I have a one wire alternator and that is what they recommend. will post pictures later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear. Sorry about the pix guys. I'll try to get something up asap. Ironically I had just deleted the pics off my iphone right before the a-holes at photobucket did their little thing. I hope they choke.

Post Thanks / Like

pictures of the electric ps installed

took awhile but finially got the pictures to post of the p.s. in my mk3. probably going to move the control boxes under the dash over the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I just want to say to all those considering this, all welds are not created equal. A weld on a shaft like this can see significant stress and hundreds of thousands of cycles under load. One that looks good can fail. One that is ugly can perform better than the parts being joined. I have done automotive level testing. You would not believe what cyclic load does to wear and fatigue parts. Fatigue cracks love welds. I would highly advise knowing the materials being welded and to only talk to highly qualified welders to do this mod. You and your beloved passenger depend your lives on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    took a 40 mile ride today and the power steering worked great, takes a little getting used to as the steering is much easier and I am used to having to put some muscle in the turning, but not anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alv69 View Post
    took a 40 mile ride today and the power steering worked great, takes a little getting used to as the steering is much easier and I am used to having to put some muscle in the turning, but not anymore.
    Good news is that you can always turn it off! Don't forget to put some caster in it to get a little resistance back as well. Glad you're enjoying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Connedale View Post
    I just want to say to all those considering this, all welds are not created equal. A weld on a shaft like this can see significant stress and hundreds of thousands of cycles under load. One that looks good can fail. One that is ugly can perform better than the parts being joined. I have done automotive level testing. You would not believe what cyclic load does to wear and fatigue parts. Fatigue cracks love welds. I would highly advise knowing the materials being welded and to only talk to highly qualified welders to do this mod. You and your beloved passenger depend your lives on it.
    Thanks, this is always good advice and applies to all areas of this kit. From a car with a chassis that's hand welded together (where no two are the same) here in the states and outfitted with Koni shocks which have had their welding issues it would seem that there is an inherent risk in building and driving these cars in general. Of course, welds should be done correctly. Also, assemble them carefully, maintain them carefully, and drive them like you're glad you're not on a motorcycle. Whatever that means. Be safe, always!

e
    Last edited by ehansen007; 09-19-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last, the description has been updates and pictures reposted on the first page. For questions, just email me directly at [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Any update on this EPAS kit?

Does it work with a Coyote engine? What about the Coupe chassis?
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I haven’t had the time or the resources to do this. I’ll keep trying though.

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE FOR THIS SPRING

As I continue to work with my EPS unit provider, we've had to make some adjustments here from the home base in California. Taxes, Liability, etc have caused us to increase the pricing on the kit to $699 Shipped Starting May 1st. SO, if you're at home during this crazy time, and are looking to add EPS, the price will remain the same $650 until May 1st. Please go to and enter the coupon code "33Machine" to receive the discount.

As always, you get a full year warranty, free shipping, and continued support for installation.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 03-30-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That link doesn't work for me. I go to a Blue Host site.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    My antivirus blocks it due to an infection with HTML: Script-inf

Post Thanks / Like
    I have EPS power steering on my gen 2 coupe, and love it.
    I still need to add some caster in it and see how it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry guys, looks like the www is redirecting to the 2nd level domain (hostname) which is not covered by SSL. I'll have him fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Appears to be working now. I guess they renewed his certificate today. Of all days.

https://www.epowersteering.com/purch...factoryfivemk4

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fyi,
    I went on to the site, but when I put in the coupon code in it only takes it down to $670 not $650.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    UPDATE FOR THIS SPRING

As I continue to work with my EPS unit provider, we've had to make some adjustments here from the home base in California. Taxes, Liability, etc have caused us to increase the pricing on the kit to $699 Shipped Starting May 1st. SO, if you're at home during this crazy time, and are looking to add EPS, the price will remain the same $650 until May 1st. Please go to and enter the coupon code "33Machine" to receive the discount.

As always, you get a full year warranty, free shipping, and continued support for installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for letting me know! I'll get that fixed! Hold please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay it's all ready to go! Thanks for your patience while we figure this out. Trust me it will be worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    As I continue to work with my EPS unit provider, we've had to make some adjustments here from the home base in California. Taxes, Liability, etc have caused us to increase the pricing on the kit to $699 Shipped Starting May 1st. SO, if you're at home during this crazy time, and are looking to add EPS, the price will remain the same $650 until May 1st. Please go to https://www.epowersteering.com/purch...factoryfivemk4 and enter the coupon code "33Machine" to receive the discount.

Electric power steering kit is for the small block Roadster MK3 and MK4 with small block motors. Sorry but it will not fit with the big blocks or coyotes.

What sets this unit apart from other power steering is that it's adjustable via potentiometer knob in the cockpit. You can dial up the assist for around town and autocross, or turn it completely off for the freeway and road course.

Install- It will require you to cut the current steering shaft and have the splined couplers welded on. But the welding is not a big job. Just take it to a shop. The custom bracket can be fitted and then welded, and then bolted or welded onto the frame. It will come raw so you can finish how you like after drilling or welding. Location is in front of the headers and not close to the firewall for three reasons- Heat, ease of installation, and space. I've got it installed on the 289 and it's just fantastic. I've tested with power rack from Autozone and the stock Uni-steer rack that comes with the kit. Both work great.

35. Thanks ChopperJustin thanked for this post
    Likes ChopperJustin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone. FYI Epoweringsteering.com still is the provider for this kit. I haven't been actively selling these or making money on it but be sure to mention my name to Ken when you order for a possible discount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any update on a unit that will work with the coyote and the MK4?

Thx!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Juddster. It simply won't fit with the coyote unfortunately. After looking at it several times it would take some serious engineering to get around it. Sorry!

39. Thanks juddster thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We are building a Coyote powered Coupe for a client that wherein the engine is supercharged which precludes putting a pump on the front of the engine. We have adapted a Mini cooper electric power steerng pump and are using a standard hydraulic rack. We haven't yet tested it on the road but this solution should work on a roadster as well.
    Chris

41. Likes juddster liked this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have ordered one of the epowersteering kits for a Mark 3/4 that I plan on adapting to a early Mark 1. I have a spare steering shaft - in case it all goes "south" and I end up with a cut up steering shaft. I also sourced a self aligning pillow block that I'll install on the outside of the firewall to help the steering column. Mostly will work on the bracket to mount the electric motor. I have the newer headers so will also be making sure the assembly clears the headers. Pics etc as I start the actual install. Figured while the body was off this would be a good time to (or try to) get EPS installed.
    If I get something that works I'll have a template to send to epowersteering of the mount plate, and parts list, in case others may want to install the kit.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

43. Likes Walt liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12